10+ Year Old Account

[TV] Your Magikarp Moment

If you're anyone that has seen the first era of Pokemon (probably most of the people on these forums, I'd assume), then you've probably seen the episode where the gang was on the St. Anne and James from Team Rocket was tricked into buying a useless Magikarp for what seemed like a small fortune. I believe I've seen it happen to him a couple more times throughout the series from the same salesperson.

I had one a friend of mine reminded me of: when I and this friend first met in 6th grade, we brought some Pokemon cards to school and I saw he had a Pidgey. These cards were all part of the first series of cards, so it was the only kind of Pidgey out atm. He buttered me up saying it was the only Pidgey he's seen and a few kids had asked about it before. I wanted it, and offered a trade for what I had. He selected my Porygon which I was more than happy to hand over for the little bird. I found out later that the small symbols on the bottom right of the card told whether the card was common, uncommon, or rare. My Porygon was considered rare... where as the Pidgey was common. I raged about that trade for a while after I found out...

Anyway, do you have any memories where you were buttered up about doing something that seemed spectacular at the time but realized later that it was one of the stupidest things you've done? This doesn't need to be in reference to Pokemon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll see your pokemon and raise you Yu-gi-oh, or however it was spelled!

In 5th grade I got a mirror shield card in a booster pack, which was considered "ultra rare" and borderline OP in my opinion now that I think about it today. It was a trap card that I could use when my opponent attacks, and essentially it blocked the incoming attack and killed all of his monsters. Anyway... my brother somehow convinced me that quantity was better than quality and traded me a shoebox full of worthless, common cards. After a bitch fit within the next few hours, I got it back... I would have disowned him if I didn't lol.

I had no such moments when it came to Pokémon cards at school. The most desperate kids would often secretly steal other people's most rare cards when they didn't watch, and then brag about their super-awesome deck.

Deleted
    Hmm, oh yeah.
    It's about pokemon also, happened years ago.

I was happily playing Pokemon Crystal, and encountered a shiny spinarak.
    Now I had no idea why it was different from other spinaraks.
    I thought it was a error and restarted as soon as possible to avoid more errors.
    Found out later that it was very rare to find different colored pokemon, it was a sad day.

My (older) brother did this to me all the time on MTG. He would trade me all his crappy cards for my good cards cause I would think the artwork was awesome or something.