Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Baldurs Gate MMO would be awesome

Wouldnt it? and no, NWN doesnt count to me

I had the need to say it
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    The reason the smart people are miserable because their head hurts so much from facepalming at all the stupid people, its so simple.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    There is a D&D online, Baldur's Gate is D&D.
    So there.

However, a BG mmo would be as bad as an Elder Scroll mmo in my honest oppinion, it would (for me atleast) ruin the feeling of "I am the chosen one, I must save them all!" not to mention that some of the core elements of BG such as party interference would be gone in an mmo.
    Too many games are mmo's these days, we need more singleplayer games that aren't sucky, or fps games.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Yeah but D&D online is not really an MMO

It's just D&D, online.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post

It's just D&D, online.
    Errr... So if you take an rpg infact that most massive rpg, make it online and multiplayer.... Then what do you get?
    Let's see, M(assive)M(ultiplayer)O(nline)R(ole)P(laying)G(ame)...

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Errr... So if you take an rpg infact that most massive rpg, make it online and multiplayer.... Then what do you get?
    Let's see, M(assive)M(ultiplayer)O(nline)R(ole)P(laying)G(ame)...
    You actually made my day with that! Thank you.

While the idea of a bg mmo is fun it really wouldnt work, D&D online is an example of this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post

It's just D&D, online.
    I beg to differ.

http://www.ddo.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    I beg to differ.

http://www.ddo.com/
    But it's Eberron...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    But it's Eberron...
    I'm not saying that it's the same universe, just providing a link to prove D&D can be implemented as an MMO (which other people have said already, but nobody gave the actual link).

Every game wouldn't make a amazing mmo. Just thought you should know

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    I'm not saying that it's the same universe, just providing a link to prove D&D can be implemented as an MMO (which other people have said already, but nobody gave the actual link).
    Oh I wasn't meaning to correct you or anything.

It's just... Eberron? Why Eberron?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    You actually made my day with that! Thank you.

While the idea of a bg mmo is fun it really wouldnt work, D&D online is an example of this.
    Heh you are very welcome

And you are quite right, the D&D online failed horribly, despite having a gigantic community.

---------- Post added 2011-05-05 at 07:50 PM ----------

Because the Sword Coast was too cold this time a year? Icewind Dale was busy? Lantan too expensive?
    EDIT: I assumed that Eberron was *just* another land/realm in D&D, apparently it wasn't quite as simple, having read up on Eberron, I agree with your "... Why Eberron?" statement, it sounds bad.
    Last edited by Venziir; 2011-05-05 at 07:51 PM.

Deleted
    Much as I absolutely love baldur's gate I wouldn't like to see a BG mmo. How would you implement the combat system without bastardising it? the combat system in baldur's gate wouldnt work without a pause, but an MMO won't work with a pause; Extended fights wouldn't work since it would vastly favour melee due to the resource the magic users use is not replenishable (well Simulacrum -> Wish scroll kinda works but meh); PuGs wouldn't work well since they would require a thief always, unless you mess about with classes. The classes would require a complete revamp to make them all viable and this would kinda ruin it. BG was based off having a group per player and MMOs are based off 1 character per player, this would create problem since thiefs for instance are particularly weak but are almost mandatory for most parties, there would be a gross shortage of thieves if proper dnd rules are applied.

A large part of the appeal of BG was the combat system and the huge number of ways that certain fights could be over come. I don't think it would be possible to implement anything of a sort into an MMO. Try creating an encounter (maybe demogorgon) on an MMO that allows a plethora of tactics to be viable. On demogorgon you could chain contingency -> breach*3 him and then wail on him; you can down him with traps; you could project image->planetar army him; you could take a more standard approach etc. Creating scintillating encounters wouldn't be anyway near easy since MMO players are used to the min-maxing of WoW and different encounter approaches would always be superior to others, which in turn would end up certain classes being superior to others in certain encounters with would lead to lots of "bring the class, not the player" mentalities. This mentality is good in BG, but not good in an MMO.

Another thing that was of massive appeal for the BG games was the epic story line. Somehow I just don't think you'd be able to come up with quite as epic a story as becoming a god. Not every player in an MMO can become a god, it would become slightly meaningless This would make a whole load of BG fans sceptical of its success without any proper basis imo.

Edit: I assume you're referring to something similar to the Bhaalspawn sage, not the mediocre PS2 game that should not have taken the BG title.
    Last edited by mmoc2863e87097; 2011-05-05 at 07:59 PM.

Why indeed :/.

An MMO set in Forgotten Realms / Faerun would be nice. But D&D's ruleset translates poorly to the MMO genre.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

My bet is cause the game designers were like "pffft Forgotten Realms is overdone, that Eberron campaign setting tho, that has potential!" forgetting about the fact that standard setting (GM made world, standard rule set) and Forgotten Realms (Toril, FR rule set) are far far more popular with 90% of the D&D playing populace...

I dread seeing the next set of D&D games (single player or multiplayer) who start using 4e rules...

"Sorry wizards, you don't get to pick from a vast variety of spells... you get to pick from this list of 5... oh, and the fighter does too... and the cleric... and the rogue... yea you're all pretty much the same just with different spells, some of which are near identical with differing flavor text"
    Last edited by Delia; 2011-05-05 at 08:14 PM.

People seem to have forgotten to mention that DDO was SHITE! lol and tbh it wasnt very mmo, barely infact

Quote Originally Posted by Osskssa View Post
    People seem to have forgotten to mention that DDO was SHITE! lol and tbh it wasnt very mmo, barely infact
    Never played it, as I had friends who reported exactly that... it was apparently terrible... I'm pretty sure someone could make an MMO with quasi-DnD rules (they'd have to change some rules for balance issues) that wouldn't be horrible... just no one really has the motivation to try again. (I'm betting the cost to get the rights from Wizards of the Coast is fairly costly on its own, without even considering the cost of creating the MMO itself).

Not to mention DnD games almost always use the newest ruleset during their creation, which would mean 4e if one were made today... 4e would probably actually lend itself well to an MMO since it already has designed roles, tanks, controllers, strikers (dps), and leaders (healers)... that said 4e is imo the worst DnD ruleset to date...

The actual game world of Eberron is pretty fascinating. It has a lot more politics than most D&D campaigns. However, I don't think it makes a good video game world.

---------- Post added 2011-05-05 at 02:34 PM ----------

DDO has the most interesting dungeons of any mmo that I've played.

Counterstrike would be a great MMO!

I remember playing baulders gate, don't know why it would be turned into an MMO really. I don't remember it being all that fun compared to NWN, Champions of Norath, Diablo etc..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorgen View Post
    I remember playing baulders gate, don't know why it would be turned into an MMO really. I don't remember it being all that fun compared to NWN, Champions of Norath, Diablo etc..
    :S you troll bro?

/jks
    But my point remains, BG was far better, in my eyes at least, than NWN and especially DA. I do agree that it wouldn't be implementable as an MMO anyway, and any "Baldur's Gate" MMO would be much more similar to NWN than it would be to BG.