Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I miss when RPGs were RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Noin View Post
    None of those multiple quotes matter now because one guy from EA said something about "larger market opportunity," which obviously means the game is going to hell. Somehow.
    Lol where are you getting "less RPG features" from "larger market opportunity"? It sounds like you are heavily jumping to conclusions. Has it ever occurred to you that a "larger market opportunity" can mean a number of things? Maybe they want Mass Effect 3 to ship on the Project Cafe(new nintendo console) also?

Deleted
    But now they are saying the exactly opposite, they want emphasis on the shooter elements to attract wider audience. In other words they lied. Or how do you explain the whole "going for more of a shooter-with-RPG" elements thing? Might have something to do with well established Bioware fanboism thus far.
    The actual quote was: "One of the things that Ray Muzyuka and the team up in Edmonton have done is essentially step-by-step adjust the gameplay mechanics and some of the features that you’ll see at E3 to put this in a genre equivalent to shooter-meets-RPG."

Which is nothing different from what they've previously done. The entire ME franchise is "shooter-meets-RPG." They didn't lie or come close to lying. You're reading stuff into the quote. Might have something to do with your well-established anti-Bioware fanboism thus far.

Lol where are you getting "less RPG features" from "larger market opportunity"? It sounds like you are heavily jumping to conclusions. Has it ever occurred to you that a "larger market opportunity" can mean a number of things? Maybe they want Mass Effect 3 to ship on the Project Cafe(new nintendo console) also?
    My entire quote was sarcastic.

Of course it can mean anything number of things, which is what I'm pointing out. It probably means nothing, as this was an investor meeting, not a game developer conference, but that won't stop paranoid RPG fans from shouting that the sky is falling.

It's just funny to watch RPG fans scream bloody murder whenever Bioware dares to tinker with their precious little idea of the perfect RPG.
    Last edited by mmocf9b7230fab; 2011-05-05 at 11:27 PM.

Deleted
    Who plays Mass Effect for its RPG(play) elements anyway?
    It's about the story, ever improving combat and messing with the world in sometimes funny ways.

Can't really see how they could remove RPG elements from Mass Effect 2 with the announced additions for Mass Effect 3.

Don't get me wrong I love rpg's in general but it's not the main reason I play Mass Effect.

Also glad it's pushed back really, was worried it was being pushed out too soon (lol dragonage 2).
    Last edited by mmoca4abc3a051; 2011-05-05 at 11:27 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    :sadface: I don't have very many games to look forward too! All I've got is Dragon Age 2 (haven't been able to buy it) and Skyrim. What's else is going to help fill in the time?

But I do agree though, I can wait if this means that the game will be polished and damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakobo15 View Post
    Who plays Mass Effect for its RPG(play) elements anyway?
    It's about the story, ever improving combat and messing with the world in sometimes funny ways.
    Because those are not RPG elements?

Deleted
    Define "RPG elements." "Roleplaying" is an extremely open-ended term that can mean a thousand different things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakokun View Post
    Which is why I added (aming) to the end of RPG.
    Random inventory management, killing "boars" for no apparent reason to the story, perfecting your stat balances, general "gamey" things that you wouldn't really be doing.

Define "RPG elements." "Roleplaying" is an extremely open-ended term that can mean a thousand different things.
    This is what people often get wrong. RP, and RPG are totally two different things. RPG is a game, where the characters stats and specialization affects the outcome in different situations, while "RP" (while I personally prefer to call them IAS as in, interactive story games) games are totally player driven and do not rely on stats on specializations.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

To me RPGs have always been about building your character (not necessarily as complex as DnD though). However I also consider a good setting and somewhat open world almost as important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakokun View Post
    I hope they take the time to make it a complete game. While I enjoyed DA2 you can easily see that it's rushed in some places.
    Indeed, DA2 felt kind of small and rushed, hope they don't make that mistake with ME3

As DA2 example perfectly showed, "Aimed at larger audiences" = "alienate existing fanbase and simplify gameplay to the point of ridicule".

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    As DA2 example perfectly showed, "Aimed at larger audiences" = "alienate existing fanbase and simplify gameplay to the point of ridicule".
    This is what happened with DA2 and quite ironically, it has overall sold worse than DA:O at this point compared to it in same timeframe, not to mention the 10 million audience EA aimed for before it (as said in interview prior to release). It has deteriotaded even to a point where developers have started tossing excuses around in forums, blaming third party sites, bad release dates(OH YES) and activities, instead of admitting that what some of the other Bioware devs did even before release of DA2, that it was rush job, pushed by EA. So yeah, trying to aim for new markets while pissing on current ones might not be the best plan EA, try to figure that out eh (I know your tactic is, buy house, suck it dry, buy new one is in the end fairly efficient, but it hurts even your business in the end). This is what I fear with the new announcement, they say that they push it back because they want to make sure it's smoother for greater audience, but such thing never really gave the expected outcome, as proven by now.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2011-05-06 at 01:38 AM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    im in edmonton ya team.

I'm actually glad, as it gives Bioware more time to make a truly epic finale. Plus I'll have more time to play the series to its fullest, as I've just started number 1.