Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascheriit View Post
    I think your dps is pretty fine with your ilvl, i'd like to give ideas for a new rotation, my rotation is: mf until 5 stacks of evangelism, if orb procs mb if not > vt > sw: p > dp > mb > aa > mf ... and so on, i get up to 14k dps on a bosspuppet, with ilvl 359 (2nd t11 boni), i think you should try this rotation, should optimize your dps

    A.
    Over and Out.
    If you are just standing doing two MF's before dotting, then no, start out with your dots, if possible cast VT doing the pull followed by SW:P and DP. Then go on with MF, if you aim for atleast 2 orbs, then atleast VT should be ready to be recast after a MB, SW:P will update it self, but don't hold out on your dots, get them rolling from the start
    It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.

  2. #22
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    3,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenoria View Post
    i noticed you're forging mastery into haste... try to get every piece with haste already on it and forge away from crit......

    hit>haste>mastery>crit imo

    as said earlier hit for dungeons is only 6% so you're already above it... when you get gearing for raids focus on spirit/haste gear and reforge crit to mastery.

    and you don't have a meta gem? try to get the + max mana one... i forget the name....

    edit:
    Gems:
    Red - int
    yellow - int/haste
    blue - int/spirit
    that is if you care for the bonus... if not..... use Int gems
    Sorry but, Int >>>> haste > hit > crit > mastery

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    Sorry but, Int >>>> haste > hit > crit > mastery
    Agreed, hit cap is actually bullshit (~15% is enough) for shadowpriest, if you miss, just recast.

  4. #24
    Stood in the Fire Robula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    441
    You're actually 2.08% over the hit cap for what level of content your doing. Unless you plan on raiding anytime soon, stick to 6% or under. I'm doing this on my new Affliction Warlock which means I can focus on throughput. I hit 12K DPS on the last boss in Lost City of Tol'vir in Normal mode, not heroic.

  5. #25
    Fluffy Kitten Siri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Eolian
    Posts
    3,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    Sorry but, Int >>>> haste > hit > crit > mastery
    Actually mastery and crit are interchangeable depending on your current gear level

  6. #26
    Your talent and gear looks fine.

    If you're running low on mana please keep these things in mind:

    + Dark Archangel restores a good chunk of your mana, use it often, but it's best used when you have 5 stacks.
    + Shadowfiend restores mana
    + Dispersion restores mana
    + Your MASOCHISM talent restores mana when you hurt yourself casting Shadow Word Death, cast Shadow Word Death often to steadily restore your mana, but please keep your own health in mind when performing this.
    + Also if you can afford it - buy mythical mana potions.

    As a Shadow Priest your DPS get's better with gear, however at lower gear levels stacking as much hastes means more damage per second from your dots and mindflay.
    "Arguing online is like the special Olympics, even if you win - you're still retarded."
    The only thing getting in the way of you is yourself.

  7. #27
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    3,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    Actually mastery and crit are interchangeable depending on your current gear level
    Mastery pulls marginally ahead when close to BiS gear on patchwerk style fights (can be considered equal), however crit wins by a noticable bit on movement fights.

    Edit: I remember reading this a while back: http://www.howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?t=75
    It's a very succesful attempt (in my opinion) in proving that crit is valued higher than mastery on movement fights even when close to BiS gear.

    And of course you are right when you say that mastery can be valued higher than crit, like if you somehow manage to overstack crit and thereby devalue it, but realistically it isnt possibly because of the current itemization. Even if you chose to value crit higher than mastery you will most likely end up with a roughly equal amount of both stats. I have 672 crit rating and 759 mastery rating as an example.
    Last edited by Funkthepunk; 2011-05-06 at 06:32 PM.

  8. #28
    Yea I actually ran heroics till my eyes bled last nite and got a few upgrades along with the Hyjal rep belt and it made a huge difference. I think im around 337 now and i cant totally see the diff. I actually managed to get 14k on the last boss of Grim Batol with downing adds.

    Posts helped alot. Much appreciated

  9. #29
    Fluffy Kitten Siri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Eolian
    Posts
    3,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    Edit: I remember reading this a while back: http://www.howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?t=75
    It's a very succesful attempt (in my opinion) in proving that crit is valued higher than mastery on movement fights even when close to BiS gear.

    And of course you are right when you say that mastery can be valued higher than crit, like if you somehow manage to overstack crit and thereby devalue it, but realistically it isnt possibly because of the current itemization. Even if you chose to value crit higher than mastery you will most likely end up with a roughly equal amount of both stats. I have 672 crit rating and 759 mastery rating as an example.
    I am not way off a full BiS set and mastery is significantly more worth to me than crit is even though I have significantly more mastery than crit (317 crit vs 904 mastery). I ran a simulation with 10000 iterations and the movement parameters specified in the thread you linked (5 seconds of movement every 30 seconds) and yet my mastery comes out ahead of crit by a small amount. Not as much as when it's turret business but still ahead.
    This is why you can't just pull numbers off some other place and not run the numbers through simcraft yourself.

  10. #30
    i look at it this way...

    i choose mastery over crit cause my ES buff gives me +30% damage to dots..... that's 4 of my spells... pain, plague, touch, flay.
    yes big numbers are nice..... but 30% more damage? i would take that more than the occasional crit

    keep in mind i had posted earlier that the OP was reforging mastery into haste. and leaving crit on his gear alone. i'm not saying totally ignore crit gear..... just that if you have a piece with crit and mastery already on it and are planning to reforg to haste..... crit would be better to take away from.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Acousticferret View Post
    Ive been 85 maybe 4 days now,
    This is your issue. You don't just hit 85 and pull 15k+ with 332 avg iLvl. DPS gets better with more gear. Don't get discouraged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenoria View Post
    i look at it this way...

    i choose mastery over crit cause my ES buff gives me +30% damage to dots..... that's 4 of my spells... pain, plague, touch, flay.
    yes big numbers are nice..... but 30% more damage? i would take that more than the occasional crit

    keep in mind i had posted earlier that the OP was reforging mastery into haste. and leaving crit on his gear alone. i'm not saying totally ignore crit gear..... just that if you have a piece with crit and mastery already on it and are planning to reforg to haste..... crit would be better to take away from.
    And MB when you have orbs up

  13. #33
    @ OP: A nice addon for Spriests is Shadow Timers ( I think thats the name anyways ) While I'm not assuming you don't re apply dots at right times or anything it really helps a lot with the timing of your MB's and such so you don't have to keep watching your buffs. But yeah like a lot of people are saying try to get gear that has spirit and haste on it already. Heres a link to my arms but bear in mind my gametime ran out like last month so I havent been able to get many new upgrades. And I am a bit low considering hit cap.

    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...%C3%A1n/simple

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenoria View Post
    i look at it this way...

    i choose mastery over crit cause my ES buff gives me +30% damage to dots..... that's 4 of my spells... pain, plague, touch, flay.
    yes big numbers are nice..... but 30% more damage? i would take that more than the occasional crit

    keep in mind i had posted earlier that the OP was reforging mastery into haste. and leaving crit on his gear alone. i'm not saying totally ignore crit gear..... just that if you have a piece with crit and mastery already on it and are planning to reforg to haste..... crit would be better to take away from.
    Your basing your decision over anecdotal feelings. While accidentally correct (in certain circumstances) you shouldn't ever talk about something you don't fully understand. There are greater things in effect than "I like 30% of my dmg applied to 4 of my damage sources than crit LOL".

    Please refrain from posting drivel which has no merit - this applies to everyone.

    "Better to let them think you're an idiot then open your mouth and prove it." - Shaquille O'Neil

  15. #35
    Should you encounter a warlock, make him DI you and lol at your dps.
    True, if this was pre-4.1. I dont even bother looking to which spriest in our raid is getting DI anymore. Not something to really be jealous over like it used to be >_<

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Acousticferret View Post
    Ive been 85 maybe 4 days now, been running regs for JP and leveling my tailor/chanting as much as possible for upgrades. My problem is im only at ilvl 332 and I can barely break 10k on bosses. Ive got the rotation down refreshing DoTs when buffs proc or with 1sec left but I just seem to pull what other classes in my group are.

    Did my first hero last nite, Lost City, and on first boss I was 2nd in dps at like 9500. On top of having mana issues I just cant seem to push anymore dps. Even on the reg 85 dummy Im only getting ~9800. Is this just a power thru it now and gear upgrades will help issue?

    My rotation atm is SW:P>VT>DP then flay til orb > MB, after that I use AA with 5 stacks and Feind, flay and refresh DoTs as needed and MB with at least 1 orb. I tried throwing in SW on CD which some suggested helps with mana but it made my dps go down some.

    Right now Im stand offish about queueing for heros since Im worried ill be kicked since my dps isnt thru the roof.

    Armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...g/shoat/simple
    VT>SWP>DP>MF<insert MB when u have orbs or tri orbs> MF

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by achertite View Post
    Your basing your decision over anecdotal feelings. While accidentally correct (in certain circumstances) you shouldn't ever talk about something you don't fully understand. There are greater things in effect than "I like 30% of my dmg applied to 4 of my damage sources than crit LOL".

    Please refrain from posting drivel which has no merit - this applies to everyone.

    "Better to let them think you're an idiot then open your mouth and prove it." - Shaquille O'Neil
    fine you want facts? here we go

    for every 179.166 crit points raises crit 1%
    for every 179.143 mastery points raises it up 1 point mastery.

    as a blood elf priest totally naked:
    i have 1.22 Crit and 8.00 mastery

    every point of mastery = +1.5% damage increase to dots as well as per orb for mindblast or mindspike.
    8 points of mastery is 12%.... plus the original 10% flat bonus to the orbs. = 22% more damage from dots.

    so naked you get 1.22 crit and 22% more dot damage when you have ES up. since it takes the same amount of stat points to raise mastery and crit up 1% or 1 point.... they are pretty much even.

    so if you have a choice to add either 5% more crit.. or 5 more mastery points.. since they cost the exact same..
    you could either have A) 6.22% crit with 8 mastery which = 22% more dot damage... OR
    you could have B) 1.22crit with 13 mastery.... 13 mastery X 1.5 damage per points = 19.5% + 10% flat from orb = 29.5% dot damage.

    now say we just looked at 100 ticks of pain.... say for the ease of numbers each tick normally does 100 damage
    with A) each tick would be 122 cause of 22% mastery increase. 7% of those ticks would crit for double..... so that's 7 ticks, 122x7x2=1708 damage. the other 93 ticks would be the normal 122 damage. 122x93=11346. so total 11346+1708=13054.

    with B) each tick would be 129.5 cause of 29.5% mastery increase. 2% of those ticks would crit for double... so that 2 ticks, 129.5x2x2=518 damage. the other 98 ticks would be the normal 129.5 damage. 129.5x98=12691. so total 12691+518=13209.

    so based on above... while mastery and crit take the same amount of stat points to raise it. mastery raises dps MORE than crit, for the same amount of stat points. since mastery does give you more dps... when reforging a stat away it makes sense that if you want to take away from one of those stats, taking away from crit would be less of a dps loss.

    which is why i say mastery is better than crit.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Acousticferret View Post
    Ive been 85 maybe 4 days now, been running regs for JP and leveling my tailor/chanting as much as possible for upgrades. My problem is im only at ilvl 332 and I can barely break 10k on bosses. Ive got the rotation down refreshing DoTs when buffs proc or with 1sec left but I just seem to pull what other classes in my group are.

    Did my first hero last nite, Lost City, and on first boss I was 2nd in dps at like 9500. On top of having mana issues I just cant seem to push anymore dps. Even on the reg 85 dummy Im only getting ~9800. Is this just a power thru it now and gear upgrades will help issue?

    My rotation atm is SW:P>VT>DP then flay til orb > MB, after that I use AA with 5 stacks and Feind, flay and refresh DoTs as needed and MB with at least 1 orb. I tried throwing in SW on CD which some suggested helps with mana but it made my dps go down some.

    Right now Im stand offish about queueing for heros since Im worried ill be kicked since my dps isnt thru the roof.

    Armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...g/shoat/simple
    u must have hit. do u realize how many dots a SP has? DP, swp, VT, Mindflay. thats 4

    imagine if they all miss?

    anyway get to 17% hit cap then go all haste.
    i start out with
    Vt, MB, SW, sw:P, DP, spam mindflay till 5 stacks, use AA and shadowfiend, refresh VT if needed, make sure to blow mindblast every CD and SW death helps for mana too, then just keep dots up.

    sw death doesnt screw ur dmg that much. and make sure to MB every cd cause chances are ur gonna have an orb every 6 seconds.

    and yes crit is an alrite stat, but mastery is so much better.
    Last edited by announced; 2011-05-07 at 12:18 PM.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    u must have hit. do u realize how many dots a SP has? DP, swp, VT, Mindflay. thats 4

    imagine if they all miss?

    anyway get to 17% hit cap then go all haste.
    i start out with
    Vt, MB, SW, sw:P, DP, spam mindflay till 5 stacks, use AA and shadowfiend, refresh VT if needed, make sure to blow mindblast every CD and SW death helps for mana too, then just keep dots up.

    sw death doesnt screw ur dmg that much. and make sure to MB every cd cause chances are ur gonna have an orb every 6 seconds.

    and yes crit is an alrite stat, but mastery is so much better.
    17% hit is 11% too much for a heroic.

    ---------- Post added 2011-05-07 at 12:52 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    Mastery pulls marginally ahead when close to BiS gear on patchwerk style fights (can be considered equal), however crit wins by a noticable bit on movement fights.

    Edit: I remember reading this a while back: http://www.howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?t=75
    It's a very succesful attempt (in my opinion) in proving that crit is valued higher than mastery on movement fights even when close to BiS gear.

    And of course you are right when you say that mastery can be valued higher than crit, like if you somehow manage to overstack crit and thereby devalue it, but realistically it isnt possibly because of the current itemization. Even if you chose to value crit higher than mastery you will most likely end up with a roughly equal amount of both stats. I have 672 crit rating and 759 mastery rating as an example.
    That page is outdated and based on 4.0.6 stat weights. Mastery got buffed decently so use a new sim + data rather than old stuff. Chances are the values are vastly different now.

  20. #40
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    3,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazu View Post
    That page is outdated and based on 4.0.6 stat weights. Mastery got buffed decently so use a new sim + data rather than old stuff. Chances are the values are vastly different now.
    What? Do you even play a shadow priest? I honestly don't think so.. Mastery scaling was changed in 4.06.
    In 4.1 Dark Intent was changed which has decreased our relative damage done by DoTs (on fights where mind sear wasn't used), so I don't really understand your point? Would you mind clarifying it?

    And yes, simulationcraft sims crit scaling value higher than mastery scaling value when used on my profile/character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenoria View Post
    fine you want facts? here we go

    for every 179.166 crit points raises crit 1%
    for every 179.143 mastery points raises it up 1 point mastery.

    as a blood elf priest totally naked:
    i have 1.22 Crit and 8.00 mastery

    every point of mastery = +1.5% damage increase to dots as well as per orb for mindblast or mindspike.
    8 points of mastery is 12%.... plus the original 10% flat bonus to the orbs. = 22% more damage from dots.

    so naked you get 1.22 crit and 22% more dot damage when you have ES up. since it takes the same amount of stat points to raise mastery and crit up 1% or 1 point.... they are pretty much even.

    so if you have a choice to add either 5% more crit.. or 5 more mastery points.. since they cost the exact same..
    you could either have A) 6.22% crit with 8 mastery which = 22% more dot damage... OR
    you could have B) 1.22crit with 13 mastery.... 13 mastery X 1.5 damage per points = 19.5% + 10% flat from orb = 29.5% dot damage.

    now say we just looked at 100 ticks of pain.... say for the ease of numbers each tick normally does 100 damage
    with A) each tick would be 122 cause of 22% mastery increase. 7% of those ticks would crit for double..... so that's 7 ticks, 122x7x2=1708 damage. the other 93 ticks would be the normal 122 damage. 122x93=11346. so total 11346+1708=13054.

    with B) each tick would be 129.5 cause of 29.5% mastery increase. 2% of those ticks would crit for double... so that 2 ticks, 129.5x2x2=518 damage. the other 98 ticks would be the normal 129.5 damage. 129.5x98=12691. so total 12691+518=13209.

    so based on above... while mastery and crit take the same amount of stat points to raise it. mastery raises dps MORE than crit, for the same amount of stat points. since mastery does give you more dps... when reforging a stat away it makes sense that if you want to take away from one of those stats, taking away from crit would be less of a dps loss.

    which is why i say mastery is better than crit.
    And I wouldn't really consider this as "facts", because honestly you don't analyze our whole dps arsenal, and your stat values are flawed.
    Last edited by Funkthepunk; 2011-05-07 at 01:57 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •