Thread: H maloriak 10m

H maloriak 10m

We've been trying this boss for the past few nights and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when he casts arcane storm, aberations, and scorching breath. I'm a dk tank and my guild wants me to eay 1 of the breaths using a few cds. np, got the latest dbm and watch timers, they are never right and he just doesn't do anything in the order he apparently should. is there any actual way to know what he will be casting next to prepare for it?

Its more or less A fight that you should just get to grips with on the fly. DBM timers are cooldown timers most of the time so its giving a rough idea of when its going to happen not a dead on countdown. If by eay you mean eat and from that im getting that you are gonna take one full breath by yourself, I'd just use an attempt, count the seconds between the phase starting and the first flamebreath and give a rough idea of when each one is going to happen. Do that and is easy from there.

For example, look at timers, X second till storm is off CD for example, you know that is coming, watch for the cast bar and react to it. Same principle for everything else.
    "In the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't. You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair... but that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

The Main, The Alt, The Pretender

I do that, the raid takes the first breath and i turn him around for the 2nd, but half the time his breath timer will show like 5 seconds when adds/arcane storm have 6+ seconds left so i'll start my cds, and he won't cast it until after adds/storm so at the very least my ams and trinket have worn off and i just die. is there any way of knowing that he'll delay it even if the timer suggest he'll do it early? at the end of the night we just had me keep him on the raid, which is ok, but makes me feel like i suck

The first scorching breath is always a few seconds after the fire dot he puts out. About a 10 second window after depending on what he casts inbetween. The second follows the same rules, and the 3rd is just rng from what i've seen. You won't be surviving a breath alone without a guardian spirit up though, so you better trust your holy priest.

For arcane storm, you just need a fast interrupter on it and it won't tick. For Abberations we just let one cast go off per phase, and make sure we get 3 abberations before each black phase.

The casts aren't 100% predictable, reacting to fight mechaincs as they happen is part of heroic raiding, and timers can't get you though every fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Velenei View Post
    The casts aren't 100% predictable, reacting to fight mechaincs as they happen is part of heroic raiding, and timers can't get you though every fight.
    Thats pretty much it, just get used to timing on your own accord and work from there, its all a learning prosess in heroics.
    "In the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't. You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair... but that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

The Main, The Alt, The Pretender

Quote Originally Posted by Velenei View Post
    The first scorching breath is always a few seconds after the fire dot he puts out. About a 10 second window after depending on what he casts inbetween. The second follows the same rules, and the 3rd is just rng from what i've seen. You won't be surviving a breath alone without a guardian spirit up though, so you better trust your holy priest.

For arcane storm, you just need a fast interrupter on it and it won't tick. For Abberations we just let one cast go off per phase, and make sure we get 3 abberations before each black phase.

If I can actually time the breath right its pretty easy to survive without a GS, AMS/BH trinket/IBF easily takes care of it, and if we could actually make it to the 2nd one i'd have bone shield and a PS to replace the IBF. But thats an entirely different story of dps pulling threat on adds and other non related things.

The arcane storms aren't an issue as myself and our fury warrior look out for those (him more than me, especially near breath)

I just wish there was a better way to know ok he'll actually breath before the other casts or he'll actually breath after the casts, would reduce alot of unneeded raid damage.

It's easy just eating the 2 breaths with the raid stacked infront of him anyway, why risk getting a badly timed breath and dying?

Edit: You said you had a fury warrior, use Rallying Cry on one breath, have your priest barrier the second and hope RNG likes you and doesn't give you a 3rd. Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    It's easy just eating the 2 breaths with the raid stacked infront of him anyway, why risk getting a badly timed breath and dying?

Edit: You said you had a fury warrior, use Rallying Cry on one breath, have your priest barrier the second and hope RNG likes you and doesn't give you a 3rd. Easy.
    Priest does barrier first, but i forgot all about rallying cry! I'll definately mention that ty <3 we even have a warrior kiting the adds so thats another 1, and i'm sure we can pull out an aura mastery or something for the 4th.

You should keep in mind the following:

Most cataclysm bosses have multiple casts which are anywhere from 1.5-8 second casts. This effectively means that even if you see that Arcane Storm will be cast in 2s, and Flame Breath in 4s, that definitely does not mean that Flame Breath will actually cast in 4s. This is particularly true if the first cast is something you're supposed to interrupt, as some interrupts have spell locks which may or may not work on raid bosses, and the speed of the interrupt may delay the bosses speed in casting the next spell (Add possible lockout time to time it takes the interrupter to interrupt given that the next spell should be coming immediately). Therefore, it's not really reliable to take the timers as gospel.

Also, the raid bosses will wait to finish their first cast even if the more dangerous ability is ready to cast. Similar to how you force a shorter phase 2 in HC Magmaw, by keeping him in his head phase for the first 1/2-2/3 of his last 30% hp. If you've done Al Akir before, you will know what I am talking about immediately. It is readily apparent when Al Akir is supposedly going to cast Wind Burst, but is still casting his other spell (name escapes me). He won't start casting WB until the other spell is finished.

15+ Year Old Account
    I put down PWB for the first scorching breath when the timer (DBM) is at 5 seconds left and it's always coming under the PWB duration (10s). After that, it's always coming with 10 second breaks afaik. If you're lucky you don't get a 3rd one.
    How does a DK solo a breath? It's doing some 800K-1M damage in 10M. Are you using IBF+AMS+something else, like TB trinket at once? Could be a bit hard to time AMS right. Mabye glyph it and pop it ~8 seconds after the previous breath and you'll be fine. TBH breaths are now healable. Before the fix you either needed a raid CD or plenty of pets or you wiped, period.
    Last edited by Zka; 2011-05-06 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maes View Post
    Priest does barrier first, but i forgot all about rallying cry! I'll definately mention that ty <3 we even have a warrior kiting the adds so thats another 1, and i'm sure we can pull out an aura mastery or something for the 4th.
    Barrier 1st, RC & AM 2nd, RC close to when you'll get 3rd incase you do get it.

Another thing, if you don't get an aberrations cast at the start, just run out and reset, makes red and blue phases much easier on your offtank if they only have to deal with 6 aberrations.