Computer delaying every 10 seconds.

so i cant figure out whats wrong here. every 10 seconds or so my computer gets a very noticeable delay and its starting to piss me off. it happens all the time, like while im typing this, and watching videos. no audio problems at all but just visual delays. 3 days ago i updated my drivers, so that might not be an issue. does anyone know whats going on, or how i can fix it?

Deleted
    run a memory test on your ram if its not that its your hard drive failing or you need to reinstall windows. could be psu aswell but i doubt it more than likely ram/hdd issue

Did the issue happen before or after you updated your drivers?
    Does it happen in safe mode?
    If it doesn't happen in safe mode, you could first disable all services and see if it happens. If same issue, try disabling all drivers.
    type msconfig in a run command and disable unnecessary startup programs.
    Be specific about what programs are running when the issue occurs.

Deleted
    if you mean videos, do you mean on the internet or on your harddrive? if it's on the internet, what browser are you using?

i had a similar issue. my browser lagged every few seconds visually, but the audio was fine. i found a solution in increasing my firefox cache size in about:config. http://www.wibbler.com/2009/06/06/fl...ing-in-firefox. I put mine to 180,000 (kb, so 180 MB), and now i rarely have issues.

edit: this also solved laggin on my computer when my browser was open.

edit2: also, try to change your session save intervals. by default, firefox saves session every 10 seconds, which i think is too often. change it to every 2-3 minutes. the setting is browser.sessionstore.interval and is measured in milliseconds. 120,000-180,000 should be enough. my setting is 1,200,000, or every 20 minutes. it might be overkill, but when you are subscribed to totalbiscuit, OMFGCata and several other youtube publishers who make large shows regularly, it helps if you don't have numerous hiccups during the vid.
    Last edited by mmocb0245d6bcb; 2011-05-06 at 08:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had this problem and it was one of my cards (sound card) wasn't seated all the way after I replaced my heatsink on my processor. If you installed some hardware recently or did something inside your case, I'd check the power plugs and your cards on the motherboard.

i used the method Nzall suggested a few minutes ago. its been about 10 minutes since ive made the change and i havent seen any issues yet while just browsing the web. thanks guys for the suggestions