View Poll Results: 6÷2(1+2)=?

Voters
327. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1

    122 37.31%
  • 9

    205 62.69%

Thread: 6÷2(1+2)=?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashcow View Post
    its 9. because if you follow pemdas you start by adding the 1+2 in parenthesis then divide 6 by 2 then multiply 3 by 3 which gives you 9.

    Actually did this one in my math class. most of us thought it was 1 originally but our teacher pointed out that it was in fact 9
    /Agree the brackets disappear after you perform the addition and so its an equation with just a multiplication and a division in and everyone knows you do the division first

  2. #42
    I allways thought multiplying and dividing had the same priority..
    So I'd say 9, but again Im really bad at this. Z.z

  3. #43
    Bloodsail Admiral Reluctant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,086
    Multiplication does not have priority over division.
    so its 6:2 = 3 * (1+2) = 3*3 = 9

  4. #44
    The Patient SioX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ..::Germany::..
    Posts
    292
    Simple math rules say its 9. because
    x/y(z+c) = x/Y * (z+c)
    Hc: This signature is not available in your country.

    "Just a game? Go play monopoly than!"

  5. #45
    Its 9 FFS
    6/2(1+2)
    6/2x3
    BODMAS states DIVISION first, therefore
    6/2 = 3
    3x3= 9
    If you dont believe me, put it in a fucking calculator

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Skezix View Post
    outstanding**** (?)
    No. Astounding is a word.

    Sometimes I wonder why I even bother here..

  7. #47
    Quote from a revision site for 13 year olds.
    "So the order you should do your calculations in is:

    Brackets
    Indices
    Division and Multiplication.
    Start on the left and work them out in the order that you find them.
    Addition and Subtraction. When only addition and subtraction are left in the sum work them out in the order you find them. starting from the left of the sum and working towards the right."

  8. #48
    Legendary! Spl4sh3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,716
    The answer is nine

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    I'm not sure if in my sleep deprived state I voted for 1 or 9, but the answer is 1 due to mathematical priorities. I mean, I learned about this stuff in fifth grade. PEMDAS. Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction is the order of operations.

    6 / 2(1+2) = 6 / 2(3) = 6 / 6 = 1
    Why is it always the wrong people that are so snooty? You're wrong, learn math.

  10. #50
    Brewmaster Gotai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Zaltbommel - Netherlands
    Posts
    1,367
    I'd go for 1.

    It's about as easy as 13x7=28!

  11. #51
    9 imo. I don't even know how you get any other answer. I was taught you work out the brackets first, then do the outside sum, then multiply it by the bracket answer:

    6/2(1+2) = 6/2(3) = 3(3) = 3*3 = 9

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashcow View Post
    its 9. because if you follow pemdas you start by adding the 1+2 in parenthesis then divide 6 by 2 then multiply 3 by 3 which gives you 9.

    Actually did this one in my math class. most of us thought it was 1 originally but our teacher pointed out that it was in fact 9
    Because teachers can't be wrong, amirite? Ordinary 3-years educated teachers usually don't know shit.

  13. #53
    Order of operations at it's finest: P.E.M.D.A.S. = Parenthesis > Exponents > Multiplication > Division > Addition > Subtraction.

    With this order of priority, 6/2(1+2), the (1+2) must be added first. Once you add this and get 3, you then multiply the 2 by the 3 (Multiplication is before Division in priority in PEMDAS.) Finally, divide 6 by 6 giving you 1.

    I'm 6 years old and got this problem correct.

  14. #54
    You can even just google it

  15. #55
    I Thought I was bad at math, then I see the people saying it's 1.

    And I lol'd.

  16. #56
    There is no answer. The calculation is shown in a way it's not clear what should be performed second.

    6÷2(1+2)= 6/2(1+2) = 6/2(3) = 6/6 =1

    IF you do it this way.
    But if you
    6÷2(1+2)= 6÷2(3)= 3(3)= 9

    So: Use proper paranthesis next time.
    6÷(2(1+2))= 1
    (6÷2)(1+2)= 9

    And I hate that everyone wants to be a smartass about this operation, while it's just a retarded problem.
    Last edited by Pope; 2011-05-06 at 12:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

  17. #57
    Bloodsail Admiral Honzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,010
    Didnt do math for 6 years and apparently I was right since I thought it was 9, i'm so proud right now!
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

  18. #58
    "The Order of Operations states that if there is a Problem that has all of the following Operations; Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition and Subtraction, then the Operations must be performed in the order in which they are stated."
    "There are exceptions to this rule. Multiplication and Division should be performed in the order that they are written from left"
    There can only be one, and that one is nine
    Quote Originally Posted by Membrane
    Every day I wake up, log in and look at the nine other class icons in the character creation screen. Then I burst into laughter, create a portal into a distant realm, do a motherfucking double backflip through that portal while slinging pastries and blasts of PURE COSMIC ENERGY everywhere, respeccing into frost midair and deep freezing two gnomes before landing on my feet. In my wake only disintegrated corpses, strudel crumbs and adorable turtles are found.
    Yeah, I troll, Whatever

  19. #59
    I was always taught it was BOMDAS.. not BODMAS.. interesting

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post
    There is no answer.
    Stopped reading there. Started laughing shortly after.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •