327. This poll is closed

122 37.31%

205 62.69%

Thread: 6÷2(1+2)=?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashcow View Post
    its 9. because if you follow pemdas you start by adding the 1+2 in parenthesis then divide 6 by 2 then multiply 3 by 3 which gives you 9.

Actually did this one in my math class. most of us thought it was 1 originally but our teacher pointed out that it was in fact 9
    /Agree the brackets disappear after you perform the addition and so its an equation with just a multiplication and a division in and everyone knows you do the division first

Deleted
    I allways thought multiplying and dividing had the same priority..
    So I'd say 9, but again Im really bad at this. Z.z

10+ Year Old Account
    Multiplication does not have priority over division.
    so its 6:2 = 3 * (1+2) = 3*3 = 9

Deleted
    Simple math rules say its 9. because
    x/y(z+c) = x/Y * (z+c)

Its 9 FFS
    6/2(1+2)
    6/2x3
    BODMAS states DIVISION first, therefore
    6/2 = 3
    3x3= 9
    If you dont believe me, put it in a fucking calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Skezix View Post
    outstanding**** (?)
    No. Astounding is a word.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother here..

Deleted
    Quote from a revision site for 13 year olds.
    "So the order you should do your calculations in is:

Brackets
    Indices
    Division and Multiplication.
    Start on the left and work them out in the order that you find them.
    Addition and Subtraction. When only addition and subtraction are left in the sum work them out in the order you find them. starting from the left of the sum and working towards the right."

15+ Year Old Account
    The answer is nine

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    I'm not sure if in my sleep deprived state I voted for 1 or 9, but the answer is 1 due to mathematical priorities. I mean, I learned about this stuff in fifth grade. PEMDAS. Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction is the order of operations.

6 / 2(1+2) = 6 / 2(3) = 6 / 6 = 1
    Why is it always the wrong people that are so snooty? You're wrong, learn math.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go for 1.

It's about as easy as 13x7=28!

Deleted
    9 imo. I don't even know how you get any other answer. I was taught you work out the brackets first, then do the outside sum, then multiply it by the bracket answer:

6/2(1+2) = 6/2(3) = 3(3) = 3*3 = 9

Quote Originally Posted by Ashcow View Post
    its 9. because if you follow pemdas you start by adding the 1+2 in parenthesis then divide 6 by 2 then multiply 3 by 3 which gives you 9.

Actually did this one in my math class. most of us thought it was 1 originally but our teacher pointed out that it was in fact 9
    Because teachers can't be wrong, amirite? Ordinary 3-years educated teachers usually don't know shit.

Order of operations at it's finest: P.E.M.D.A.S. = Parenthesis > Exponents > Multiplication > Division > Addition > Subtraction.

With this order of priority, 6/2(1+2), the (1+2) must be added first. Once you add this and get 3, you then multiply the 2 by the 3 (Multiplication is before Division in priority in PEMDAS.) Finally, divide 6 by 6 giving you 1.

I'm 6 years old and got this problem correct.

You can even just google it

Deleted
    I Thought I was bad at math, then I see the people saying it's 1.

And I lol'd.

There is no answer. The calculation is shown in a way it's not clear what should be performed second.

6÷2(1+2)= 6/2(1+2) = 6/2(3) = 6/6 =1

IF you do it this way.
    But if you
    6÷2(1+2)= 6÷2(3)= 3(3)= 9

So: Use proper paranthesis next time.
    6÷(2(1+2))= 1
    (6÷2)(1+2)= 9

And I hate that everyone wants to be a smartass about this operation, while it's just a retarded problem.
    Last edited by Pope; 2011-05-06 at 12:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didnt do math for 6 years and apparently I was right since I thought it was 9, i'm so proud right now!
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

"The Order of Operations states that if there is a Problem that has all of the following Operations; Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition and Subtraction, then the Operations must be performed in the order in which they are stated."
    "There are exceptions to this rule. Multiplication and Division should be performed in the order that they are written from left"
    There can only be one, and that one is nine
    Quote Originally Posted by Membrane
    Every day I wake up, log in and look at the nine other class icons in the character creation screen. Then I burst into laughter, create a portal into a distant realm, do a motherfucking double backflip through that portal while slinging pastries and blasts of PURE COSMIC ENERGY everywhere, respeccing into frost midair and deep freezing two gnomes before landing on my feet. In my wake only disintegrated corpses, strudel crumbs and adorable turtles are found.
    Yeah, I troll, Whatever

Deleted
    I was always taught it was BOMDAS.. not BODMAS.. interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post
    There is no answer.
    Stopped reading there. Started laughing shortly after.