10+ Year Old Account

Psychology term for people who preferred Virtual World over reality?

Hello everyone!

I was watching National Geographic Channel's called Taboo and their episode called "fantasy lives", where people expressed something about themselves that they got some sort of paraphilia or fetish of being a baby (infantilism), cross-dressing, and such.

I checked the list of paraphilia (A condition characterized by abnormal sexual desires[not always], typically involving extreme or dangerous activities) on a term that described the situation where a person pretty much preferred virtual world of video games over reality and found none.

Do you guys know any term or name of a situation where people devoted most of their time in the virtual world than reality due to relieve stress or simply think its better than the real world (hint: Avatar).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Escapism perhaps?

"The practice of engaging in activities that enable one to avoid having to deal with reality, as the persistent attendance at science-fiction films, reading of fantasy literature, etc."

Well, do you mean people who prefer virtual worlds, or do you mean people with abnormal sexual desires about virtual worlds? I don't think "paraphilia" is the right starting point for what you are talking about.

this might help for the majority of people who post on these forums.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_peo...d_judge_others

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwoww View Post
    Hello everyone!

I was watching National Geographic Channel's called Taboo and their episode called "fantasy lives", where people expressed something about themselves that they got some sort of paraphilia or fetish of being a baby (infantilism), cross-dressing, and such.

I checked the list of paraphilia (A condition characterized by abnormal sexual desires[not always], typically involving extreme or dangerous activities) on a term that described the situation where a person pretty much preferred virtual world of video games over reality and found none.

Do you guys know any term or name of a situation where people devoted most of their time in the virtual world than reality due to relieve stress or simply think its better than the real world (hint: Avatar).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    that would be a form of Histrionic personality disorder.