Samsung Spinpoint F3 vs Western Digital Caviar Black

Other than one being 500gb and the other being 1tb, I'm having a difficult time deciding which is better.

The Caviar Black is 6.0gb/s while the Samsung is only 3.0gb/s but I have read that the samsung write's and read's faster. What do you guys think?

15+ Year Old Account
    changed the title to be more understandable
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe any mechanical drive has been able to saturate a SATA II connection, so you can pretty much remove that from the equation. Personally, I think they're a wash, but I've heard people argue either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    I don't believe any mechanical drive has been able to saturate a SATA II connection, so you can pretty much remove that from the equation. Personally, I think they're a wash, but I've heard people argue either side.
    This is most likely correct. Even the 600GB 10,000RPM Velociraptors barely bump up against SATA I speeds.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Caviar Black's have 64MB cache, and I'm pretty sure Spinports are still at 32MB. This probably leads to a slight performance advantage in some situations for Caviar Black. I'm not sure exactly how caching works, but I guess it means half as much time is spent seeking during a transfer from one location of the disc to another.

There's probably benchmarks out there somewhere if you want to search for them.

Well got a F3 last week, after some research, and extremely happy with it, reach's 140MB/s (not short stroked yet) read speed virtually noiseless and for 50 bucks, can't ask for more.

I also got a spinpoint f3 and it's... so fast. Compared to my old hdd the difference is crazy.
    I haven't used a caviar black before so I can't really compare, but I'm sure you'll be very satisfied with either one.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.