Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    i use it. ads suck. also, it is highly unlikely it will shut youtube down. but you do make a good point with the advertisements getting youtube money.

Considering the vast majority of internet users are noobs who are using internet explorer and have never heard of adblock plus, I think youtube is safe.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I'm fine with simple banner ads, but I've blocked every ad that contains sound or the animation covers the entire screen (looking at you, ads on Yahoo).

As others have stated, it's a security feature for me more than it is not seeing the ads. We didn't create the hostile browsing environment, we're just protecting ourselves from it while still using the web. And as history has shown us, no website is immune to having a virus slipped into their advertisements.

If I'm on a website often enough, I'll pay the 15$ a year or whatever for premium service, which would have removed the ads from my viewing anyways.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never thought about it that way, but sites should not rely on banner adds and intrusive intros to videos and those annoying banners that appear across half the video once you've started watching.

Time to install adblock plus.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chyrch View Post
    If ads weren't completely obnoxious most of the time, I wouldn't bother with Adblock. But they are no longer just banners along the side of a page.
    This exactly. I would not mind banners that just show up and are *there*, but they're not doing that anymore. They blink, sharply change colours and contrast, play flashy, obtrusive effects, prying on your attention, so that you're almost forced to look at them - when it's not even a product you'd buy. They still keep distracting you even after you looked at them. And if that doesn't help, here come the Flash ads that blatantly play distracting sounds while you're listening to music with your headphones on, which is probably about as tactful as farting into someone's face.

Hence Adblock Plus. No more ads, and if anything annoying slips through, I make sure to quickly filter the entire ad-domain (or whichever sub-URI they save their ads in). Slide a fat window in my face that I need to close? Oh no, it looks like your Javascript just got blocked!
    Maybe they their sounds out blast out of the advertiser's speakers, making him proud of what an annoying ad they created - they sure aren't playing for me.

With the deliberate removal of advertising, as with piracy, I feel more responsibility to support the things I enjoy. I bought a CD recently. They still make those! With certain websites I visit, sending them a few bucks helps. Well at least helps the operator's beer fund.

Deleted
    Anything flash based gets automatically blocked, due to the simple nature that the browser does not start any plug ins without my explicit permission - even on Youtube and frequent sites. Anything thats image based or otherwise less obtrusive (e.g. text based) gets through regardless of site.

I'm not about to set up more complex rules because so many amateur ad designers can't make their advertisements at least somewhat performance efficient, nuking my battery life and spiking my system temperature in the process.

Want me to see adds? Deliver something that doesn't give me a legitimate reason to shut them down.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-05-07 at 05:08 PM.

I have a bandwidth quota I can't go over or I get charged for it. So I use it so I don't waste any on those stupid streaming adds.

Yes, specially when you have Noscript.

Deleted
    I wonder if most of the people using any form of adblocking understand that ads are what allows so many services to be free of cost. Pop-up blockers are excused though, god those are annoying - and they have a subconscious sense of insecurity to me, escaping the confined space where ads belong :P

Considering the vast majority of internet users are noobs who are using internet explorer and have never heard of adblock plus, I think youtube is safe.
    That might be true though...
    Last edited by mmoc4e12ba5ccd; 2011-05-07 at 07:01 PM.

adblock plus and noscript together make my surfing on the internet a much cleaner experience.

so yeah, it's good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pok
    CC of WOTLK era=kill it faster. Why turn it into a sheep when you can turn it into a corpse.

adblock all the way, fuck em ads

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    adblock all the way, fuck em ads
    I agree with this guy, although he said it in a way I may not have.

Adblock Plus + Noscript FTW!
    Who really wants adds poping up on their screen annoying them everytime they go onto their favourite website?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it will just make them change their advertisments.I started using it some years ago when wowhead implemented the premium feature and switched their advertisments to some annoying flash ones with sound.After that I kept using it because more and more sites started using that kind of ads and they slow my browser down and ofc for youtube.If they don't want us to block their ads they can make them less annoying.

I want to support sites I frequent, but certain websites are just way out of hands with ads and then I will disable ads.

I mean flash that occupies half of the screen, where the close button is at a new position every time and can't be closed until it's fully loaded, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    Actually IE9 is pretty damn solid, it's a very nice browser. I agree with the general theme though, the majority of computer users don't know how to use their computers anyways.

Deleted
    I never minded when youtube had adverts over in the corner above related videos, or when they brought out the lil banner ones on the bottom of the videos, and I didn't even mind when they had short preloader ones.

But when i had to sit through a 30 second preloader advert on a 1:30 video, and if you resize it plays it again or if you refresh it plays it again, yeah right. Thats when I got Adblock, If they lose revenue from such obnoxious advertising then I'm glad.

On other sites I've had ads that play sound, the worse part is that the same page can have that ad on it more than once and you get this horrible overlap of them both on top of each other slightly offset.

Has anyone else ever gone on a different computer without adblock, and been suddenly shocked by how obtrusive the advertising is on pages you would normally go to anyway, but you haven't seen them like that in so long?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    I remember visiting a website from an indie game developer. I was using adblock at the time, and the banner where the ad would normally be blocked said something like 'Hey you. The cheapskate with the ad blocker. Please don't do this.'
    I see nothing wrong with individuals using this to avoid being bombarded with ads they don't want.
    I've seen a few of those... wowhead even has one. I blocked those images too.

Adblock is one of those things that I say use your judgement on. I tend to try to disable it for sites that I enjoy because ads are a way for them to get money, and if it is no money out of my pocket then what is the problem. But there are sites that have very intrusive ads and they can make the site very unbearable to use. 1up.com is a prime example of that. The site is so much more enjoyable without the ads that pop up and cover the content, make annoying noise, require to be closed, stop your browsing for a 1 minute. Certain ones I don't mind. Click on a link, get an ad, then get content after several seconds. Not a problem. Ads on the borders not a problem. But when I go to click on something that I see just as I get on the page, only to have an ad expand and cover up the content and start making various sounds at me, now thats just annoying.