Thread: The Witcher

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The Witcher

Has anybody played The Witcher? Is it any good?

If addons are just a crutch for healing, forks are just a crutch for eating spaghetti and real carpenters pound in nails with their foreheads.

Its good. The game has pretty outdated graphics and the combat can be clunky but if you can get around that, its a good game.

I am just looking for something totally different to play.

If addons are just a crutch for healing, forks are just a crutch for eating spaghetti and real carpenters pound in nails with their foreheads.

It's pretty fun, but it's also a very long ride. I think my main save have around 20+ hours clocked up and I'm only about 15% through the story.

The melee combat can be a bit clunky, basically you click in time with your cursor lighting up to match combos. On my PC it didn't run all too well and fights could sometimes end poorly due to missed combos. I think steam has it up for 20$ (On the Australian site anyway) and I'd say it's worth a look if you are into RPGs.

Cool thanks I want something that I wont finish in 3 hours or else get bored with.

Quote Originally Posted by aqthedruid View Post
    Has anybody played The Witcher? Is it any good?
    If you like story-driven rpgs, go for it, it's awesome.
    The amount of details in-game are nice too, even if it start to be old now (when you reach the main city there is quite a high amount of npc doing their thing "shopping, singing, talking, walking around", with quite some models, you've got choices impacting the campaign all along (even if some of them aren't really choices, it's "do i become FAR more powerful or do i do the "right witcher thing" ), and the world/background is quite nice (far less black and white than most medfan settings, it's more a whole world of grey than anything).

The combat/movement system needs a little time to get used to, but once you do, it's one of the most interesting and fun i've seen in rpgs. Worth trying it really.

I personally find the combat very engaging. Also, the creators of the game and the writer of the book this game is based on are polish. This isn't your typical western RPG, the setting and story are much more darker and mature. I found it refreshing.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Witcher 2 (Assassin of Kings) is coming on May 17 so you could just wait for that one instead. The first Witcher is pretty outdated now.
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

But will the second one be any better or a flop? I think I will wait on that.

I don't think you should skip the 1st one tbh. This is a story-driven game and I'm sure you can appreciate the 2nd game much more after playing the 1st. Besides, it doesn't look all that outdated really.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the second game is a direct sequel. So fingers crossed.

I think the people are calling it outdated are referring to the graphics, which aren't really all that bad.

The first Witcher game was really good. I don't agree with the poster saying the graphics are dated. Maybe today, but when it came out what, 4 or 5 years ago, it was top notch. The combat system takes a bit of practice, but once you get it is pretty easy. The storyline is really good and I am stoked for part 2 coming out later this month.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's 8 bucks on d2d. I think it's great.

The 1st game is quite unique. Yeah the graphics might be outdated for the current state of game graphics,but the storyline makes the game worth playing.

Combat style is a bit..odd, but it ain't going to put you off the game.
    Try it, it is worth it. And the 2nd part of the game is due in a couple weeks

It's awesome game with some shortcoming, such as boring melee combat and lots of fed ex. But when you get over those it's one of the more brilliant games done in few years.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Witcher 2 is looking awesome, can't wait for the 17th

Deleted
    The Witcher 2 is indeed looking extremely promising.

I'm currently playing through the first one - 5 Chapters, I just reached Chapter IV and have 40 hours in (I do spend a lot of time running around doing sidequests though). Combat isn't very fun, but the story is interesting and so is the character interaction. The graphics aren't dated enough to bother you, but it does run rather poorly at points even on a good PC, due to the original game engine being heavily modified to fit it (I hear).

By the way, the first one will be available for $4.99 at GOG.com (which is a store maintained by the developers of the game as far as I know) on May 10, with some extra goodies on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rammurg View Post
    The Witcher 2 is indeed looking extremely promising.

I'm currently playing through the first one - 5 Chapters, I just reached Chapter IV and have 40 hours in (I do spend a lot of time running around doing sidequests though). Combat isn't very fun, but the story is interesting and so is the character interaction. The graphics aren't dated enough to bother you, but it does run rather poorly at points even on a good PC, due to the original game engine being heavily modified to fit it (I hear).

By the way, the first one will be available for $4.99 at GOG.com (which is a store maintained by the developers of the game as far as I know) on May 10, with some extra goodies on top of it.
    To add to this :
    htttp://www.GoG.com is indeed a project leaded by the same developper than the first Witcher, CDProjekt, a Polish developper, aimed at bringing at a fair (and low price) old games to the recent OS/Comp without the hassle to use DoS emulators, CPU speed killers, forced use of FAT16 partitions and things like that.

Till now they do a good job.
    If you liked the first Opus, grabd the second one in preorder from GoG, they can't make it cheaper than other retailers due to contract, but since European price is 16$ above US price, you got a 16$ credit on GoG.com with the game, AND a free game amongst 5 from it too.

(yes, distributors are once again scamming european customers, might be time for someone to tell them to fuck up and do the currency conversion in the right way, not the bad one - right now it makes games and other products 50% or more pricer than in the US ).

Deleted
    Yeah their Witcher 2 is a pretty sweet deal especially for an European. But on the other hand, it would be nice to have the goodies of the base game package in physical form, as they would certainly be printed on more suitable paper than if you were to print your digital versions yourself, and there's also one thing that isn't in the digital version, the coin (duh).

The 16$ credit you get if you pay in Euros is neatly enough for one 9,99$ game and another 5,99$ one

Deleted
    Witcher is very good game imo. Something different is always good. Can´t wait for Witcher 2.