Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordread View Post
    Try resetting the CMOS with the jumper on the motherboard. It's worth a shot anyway.
    Because he needs to be poking around even more on his MoBo? It's a compact microATX build, meaning it's tight and cramped; plus it's custom hardware for HP...everything about it is going to be trying to make it more difficult for a DIY'er to get around.

---------- Post added 2011-05-07 at 07:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Duulis View Post
    HP's tech support atleast for companies is top notch.
    I've never had to deal with HP tech support in particular, so they may very well know what he's got in there. I just know how tech support works in general and it seems odd that an off the shelf PC would have both onboard graphics and a PCI graphics card.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicalOtaku View Post
    Because he needs to be poking around even more on his MoBo? It's a compact microATX build, meaning it's tight and cramped; plus it's custom hardware for HP...everything about it is going to be trying to make it more difficult for a DIY'er to get around.
    Might aswell try it though...

Turn off your computer and find the jumpers looking like this:

and change them to like this and wait for 10 seconds and then change them back:

Then try restarting.

I just don't see the wisdom in telling someone who couldn't even manage a RAM change without damaging something to start fumbling around with jumpers, especially since I fail to see how the CMOS could even be the issue. Given the custom nature of the hardware, I find it difficult to believe that the BIOS will have been modified in such a way as to be causing the memory error.

Off topic: Does anyone hear XT's "I think I bro~oke i~t!" when they see the title of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalOtaku View Post
    I just don't see the wisdom in telling someone who couldn't even manage a RAM change without damaging something to start fumbling around with jumpers, especially since I fail to see how the CMOS could even be the issue. Given the custom nature of the hardware, I find it difficult to believe that the BIOS will have been modified in such a way as to be causing the memory error.

Off topic: Does anyone hear XT's "I think I bro~oke i~t!" when they see the title of this thread?
    I do now. Dammit... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L9RgU8KB6A
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz | Corsair H70 | SLI GTX580 @ 850 Core | OCZ Vertex 2 90GB (Boot)
    G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB RAM @ 1800mhz 8-9-8-24

Avid game lover and Twitch streamer @ twitch.tv/rendhammerTV

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Apologies for not updating, removing the graphics card and putting it back in got the beeping to stop, only to make the screen display 'no signal', great. Probably going to just take it to this repair place near where I live. I don't see how I myself broke the computer at all though.

---------- Post added 2011-05-08 at 02:34 PM ----------

I think I just now found out the problem, the original RAM that came with the computer had the RAM modules on both sides of the stick of ram, while the new ram only had it on one side. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Frosty View Post
    I think I just now found out the problem, the original RAM that came with the computer had the RAM modules on both sides of the stick of ram, while the new ram only had it on one side. Bummer.
    That...would have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the RAM worked.

If the new RAM simply wasn't compatible then you'd have simply gotten the memory error until you put the old RAM back in (assuming the computer was working when you first started).

Are the cards even fully seated?