Arcane mages and intellect procs

So I respecced arcane recently (as i'm sure many people did) and one thing i'm finding quite confusing / difficult is that my intellect procs (volcano, stump of time and tailoring back enchant) cause my mana % to drop massivly due to the increase in mana from the proc (eg at the start of the fight when all 3 proc i can drop down to 75% mana straight off the bat).

On the one hand this can make things tricky when deciding when to evocate / pop gem, but also i'm confused as to how this interacts with the arcane mastery. Is the benefit based on mana as a % of base mana or current mana? Therefore do we find that intellect procs are potentially worth less than expected? Or is this nothing to worry about and i should continue as usual?

Cheers xD

85 pala (tank1); 85 DK (tank2; 85 priest (unused), 85Drood (heals); 85 lock (dps); 85 warrior (Tank3) 85 hunter ;83 Shammy (Ele/Resto);65 rogue

Int will increase SP / crit / mana regen (well higher max = more per % regenned).
    Don't diss the int procs!

stump of time actually awards spell power and not intellect (which i still don't get,...seems under budget to me along with all other spellpower use/procs)

Deleted
    When a proc that increases yout INT occurs, you drop by 25% mana?

When you get the temporary INT increase, your maximum mana jumps up. As far as I know your mana doesn't drop, the max just increases and so the amount of mana shown as a percentage of the entire bar will look like you just lost a chunk.

This is a visual thing. Looking at the amount of mana you currently have you should see that aside from any casting you are currently doing, your mana hasn't actually dropped.

EDIT: revisited, re-read, I realised the above wasn't what you meant now. Original post left as is though.
    Last edited by mmoc150ef56254; 2011-05-08 at 10:51 PM.

Current mana. Yes, it is worth less because of the mastery, but not detrimental enough to keep it from being viable.

yeah i meant my mana % dropped, not my actual mana, and was wondering how much of an impact this had w.r.t. mastery. by the looks of the responses i see that its not an issue. its just a bit worrying sometimes to look at my mana % (which is what i look at, not actual mana amt.) plummet. i'm still mastering my mana management and sometimes am evocating when i hit 40%, but very quickly realise i was actually at more like 60% due to the procs being up. Cheers for the responses

85 pala (tank1); 85 DK (tank2; 85 priest (unused), 85Drood (heals); 85 lock (dps); 85 warrior (Tank3) 85 hunter ;83 Shammy (Ele/Resto);65 rogue

let's do some "simple" math.

a sample mage has 7000 spell power , and 90k mana
    mastery bonus 30% at full mana

then "something trinket" proc and grant him 2000 int
    yield about 27-29% more spell power and about 3% Crit , 30k max mana
    from 30k max mana his mastery bonus drop to 22.5% at the moment it proc
    from 30k max mana he gain about 30 - 34% mp5 during proc

I dont know how does SP efficiency is calculated these day.
    However I know that 27-29% more spell power
    with 7.5% less bonus from mastery is still a nice dps gain.

Conclusion :
    mastery is base on current mana %.
    int proc is a DPS gain and worth it self.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am just playing Arcane now fun the fun of it. In the start of a fight if I use a Volcanic Potion I go up to 180k mana, normally my mana is at 111k with le food and le flask. With Mage Armor up I almost regain enough mana to spam Arcane Blast without losing any mana.
    Int procs are nice and I do love them. I don't see a point in skipping them because you lose a bit of your mastery, your mana regeneration increases when they are up and if you get a strong int proc when you are going to Evocate, you get more mana.

I don't have Shard of Woe FML

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallto View Post
    I am just playing Arcane now fun the fun of it. In the start of a fight if I use a Volcanic Potion I go up to 180k mana, normally my mana is at 111k with le food and le flask. With Mage Armor up I almost regain enough mana to spam Arcane Blast without losing any mana.
    Int procs are nice and I do love them. I don't see a point in skipping them because you lose a bit of your mastery, your mana regeneration increases when they are up and if you get a strong int proc when you are going to Evocate, you get more mana.

I don't have Shard of Woe FML
    wait a minute, you gain 70k mana by a potion? O_o

Quote Originally Posted by scism View Post
    On the one hand this can make things tricky when deciding when to evocate / pop gem, but also i'm confused as to how this interacts with the arcane mastery.
    To eliminate the confusion you can get powerauras or any other notifier for when these trinkets proc and it should be easier to tell when it would be proper to evocate. Though even if you were sitting at 33% mana with +1600int proc from volcano deck active, it would be more of a waste to cut the proc short with evocate.

Deleted
    It is very important to track your Int procs when you are playing a Mage, especially Arcane. I do that with Power Auras.