What am I doing wrong

Dear all, instead of just calling me a noob or i suck, would love some cnostructive criticism. I am a fire mage with a cookie cutter spec with all appropriate caps on stats. However, whenever I compare my WOL to my guildie mage (talents, glyphs all equal), my dps is significantly low. When I look at the spell breakdown, 40% of his dmg is from pyroblast, 18% from ignite whereas when i look at my spell breakdown (for the same boss fight), mine is 31% flamestrike, 21% living bomb, and 16% fireball, 8% Scorch, 8% ignite, and pyroblast is ~3.5%. My rotation is as follows:

Pyroblast > LB > S > FB; (pyroblast during hot streak) and combustion using combustion helper when its all green. Can anyone tell me what I am missing here ?

Any constructive cristicm or help would be appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a few tips.
    Scorch only when you HAVE to move. The dps is crap compared to fireball, the allure is casting something rather than nothing while moving. Never clip a living bomb, and refresh it as soon as it explodes.
    I'm really confused as to why your flamestrike dmg is so high, and your guildie's isn't.. Its really hard to compare AoE dps to single target..

can we see both of these logs?
    at a guess from what you have posted im going to guess you need to cast more fireballs. like a lot more

Quote Originally Posted by OCmage View Post
    My rotation is as follows:

Pyroblast > LB > S > FB; (pyroblast during hot streak) and combustion using combustion helper when its all green..
    Hi,

Few pointers,

1. Use FB rather than scorch, and remember to use FO every CD (it has a very high scaling factor).
    2. Just because everything is green on combustionhelper doesn't mean you should just fire off your combustion.
    - Make sure your threshold is set correctly
    - Consider when you are using it... If CH goes green when a boss is on like 37%, youre better holding off a little waiting for Molten Fury
    to kick in
    3. Why is your flamestrike % so high? is it a very strong AoE fight?
    Omegasupreme - Memento Mori - Frostmane-EU wowprogress

so you have 31% from flamestrike ? do you flamestrike or do you blast wave ? also can you post the World Of logs so that we can compare them and see what the differences are? if the log is private, or you want to keep it private, check the uptime on Living Bomb on both of you, and tell us the percentages. And also, check the number of fireballs / scorches cast on both of you, and also compare them.
    It doesn't only matter how much damage is done from those spells, it might have been some bad RNG with your procs / crits. But it does matter how many Fireballs you actually cast

the best dmg you can possibly do is by spreading high ignite dots to multiple mobs around you with impact.
    flamestrike is "never" used unless you need it at occasional points for impact ( think maloriak green phase and BW dident work ).
    always get off BW each cd for higher chance of impact which you can save for a pyro / fireball critt combo.

combustion helper: when combustion helper turns green it usually means all dots are up. but just cuz there is an ignite ticking
    dosent mean that the ignite you have is a strong one. make sure its well above 20k be4 you pop the combustion. since a
    combustion below 10k pritty much is a waste of cd. remember 1x 10k combustion > 2x 4k combustions another thing to keep
    in mind is the hidden travel time for Combustion. ie you cant instantly impact it over, you need to wait 0.2 sec or so be4 it starts
    doing damage.

Make sure you refresh Living bomb each time without clipping the explosion and that its up at all times.

dont use Flame Orb when you are aiming for a combustion since it lowers the ignite dmg on the target significantly.
    but at the same time dont miss out on useing it. since its one of the best dmg dealing spells in your arsenal (dmg / mana)

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    Just a few tips.
    Scorch only when you HAVE to move. The dps is crap compared to fireball, the allure is casting something rather than nothing while moving. Never clip a living bomb, and refresh it as soon as it explodes.
    I'm really confused as to why your flamestrike dmg is so high, and your guildie's isn't.. Its really hard to compare AoE dps to single target..
    Scorch isn't really THAT bad, and I am not sure why people think it is. You have to look at it overall... Scorch does roughly half the damage but also has roughly half the cast time, so overall you do the same DPS. You will also in theory get more Pyroblast procs because casting more spells in a fight means more spells can proc Hot Streak. The only downside is that your Ignites will not be as big with Scorches so you still should only use Combustion off a Fireball/Pyroblast crit.

As for your DPS problems it seems to me that because you are casting Flamestrike so much, you aren't getting as many Hot Streaks thus not casting many Pyroblasts, and also causing you to have low Ignite damage. On the other hand having 40% of his damage being from Pyroblast seems unusually high so he probably had quite a bit of RNG luck flowing his way to get all those Pyroblasts, either that or he was hardcasting them.