Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG ROB View Post
    1.5 minutes
    You do realize that's 1 minute 30 seconds, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear94 View Post
    1:27 i am a swimmer!!!
    youre a swimmer and thats it?

Ot: 2:23

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm definitely not an athlete and haven't done any sort of hard physical exercise for quite some time.

45 seconds first try.
    61 seconds on my second try after a bit of yawning.

Edit: Dang you people can hold your breath forever! I tried again and got 71 seconds on my third try. Does it always get easier and easier with practice?
    Last edited by Scratchee; 2011-05-09 at 08:41 PM.

first time 1:15 and i have asthma!

Damn this boosted my self-confidence

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snixs View Post
    and it takes about 10 minutes to them all to die. You know you might killa few brain cells just scratching your head, right?
    True, a sneeze probably kills more of 'em off. Still, though, after we reach a certain age we stop producing new brain cells, I'm conservative of the ones I have.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    1:15 and i have asthma!

Damn this boosted my self-confidence
    Way to go!
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

im tired now

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dassen View Post
    I wouldn't do that if I were you. The brain cells of a non-professional start dying after 4 minutes without oxygen.
    That's a complete myth. Brain cells only start dying hours after there has been no oxygen.

Sometimes when I go skiing I try and hold my breath through the Eisenhower tunnel (yeah Colorado) and it's 1.7 miles long. I can do it only if there is light traffic and I can keep my speed up. Even so I'm practically dying by the end! So we're talking close to 2 minutes here.

Oh yeah, this is also above 11,000 feet!
    Last edited by Wizler; 2011-05-09 at 08:28 PM. Reason: add another thought

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    That's a complete myth. Brain cells only start dying hours after there has been no oxygen.
    "Some brain cells start dying less than 5 minutes after their oxygen supply disappears"

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001435.htm

If it wasn't for oxygen deprivation, what would it be that kills us off when we suffocate? And it surely takes less than hours for us to die due to suffocation.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Than your braincells are really slow on reaction since the rest of your body would have been dead for quite some time.

my record is 5 minutes underwater... though i dont know if breathing water counts as holding my breath
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    01:01.800 (10 chars)

Deleted
    Almost 4 mins. Buddy of mine I free-dive with can hold hers for around 5. WTB bigger lungs.

Deleted
    I hope nobody's gonna try to hold their breath for 5 minutes now just to try to prove their point :/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tnpm View Post
    my record is 5 minutes underwater... though i dont know if breathing water counts as holding my breath
    You do know the human body can not accumulate oxygen from water right?

"Some brain cells start dying less than 5 minutes after their oxygen supply disappears"

If it wasn't for oxygen deprivation, what would it be that kills us off when we suffocate? And it surely takes less than hours for us to die due to suffocation.
    Now to the other question: Why did you say 4 in the first place?

Previously, around 2:05. I am a bit apprehensive about trying to hold my breath for too long nowadays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto-Unstuck View Post
    Almost 4 mins. Buddy of mine I free-dive with can hold hers for around 5. WTB bigger lungs.
    I don't think it has to do as much with lung capacity as it has to do with the rate at which your body uses up oxygen, a rate which can be lowered by training (see professional divers, the ones without those air tubes that go insane depths for insane amounts of time on a single breath).

Quote Originally Posted by Snixs View Post
    Now to the other question: Why did you say 4 in the first place?
    I guess I heard it somewhere that didn't have proper information, I'll admit to being off by 1 minute.

Deleted

That's an old study. They have recently done more tests with that kinda thing under controlled conditions. They have started freezing babies with problems and stopping their heart to do operations. Once the surgery has been completed (up to hours later) they have warmed them back up and there has been completely no negative effect.

They have also discovered this procedure works with adults as well.

1minute 14seconds, use to be able to hit around 2 minutes. I blame wow =p
    What's up Guys Syiler Here! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvL...r9S7buOA_-Vr7Q!
    Guide and Info content Creator for WoW and other MMOs/RPGs