Deleted

Question good setup for over-clocking and gaming?

with the help of my previous post, i made a build for overclocking to play the lastest games (and wow ofc).
    i was wondering if i have all the right (good) parts for overclocking?

case: Antec 300 Behuizing
    supply: CoolerMaster GX Series Power Supply / 650W
    motherboard: ASUS P67 Motherboards - P8P67
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (6M Cache, 3.30 GHz)
    RAM: 8192MB DDR3/1333 Corsair XMS CL9 KIT
    Optical: Sony Optiarc AD5260s 24x SATA
    HHD: 1,0TB WesternDigital WD10EALX 32/SATA3
    graphic: nVidia Asus GTX570 DCII 2x DVI/HDMI/GDDR5 1280MB
    and the cooler: The cooler master hyper 212

feel free to leave suggestions

I'd get a better case for better airflow. Something like an Antec Nine Hundred Two or something similar. OCing in a tiny case like that will cause problems, plus I don't really think the CM Hyper 212 Plus will fit.

I, personally, recommend the Cooler Master HAF 922. It's a perfect size, lots of room on the inside, well priced and has some seriously good airflow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    I'd get a better case for better airflow. Something like an Antec Nine Hundred Two or something similar. OCing in a tiny case like that will cause problems, plus I don't really think the CM Hyper 212 Plus will fit.

I, personally, recommend the Cooler Master HAF 922. It's a perfect size, lots of room on the inside, well priced and has some seriously good airflow.
    do i have to buy an extra cooler if i get the Cooler Master HAF 922 case?

Quote Originally Posted by citroenice View Post
    do i have to buy an extra cooler if i get the Cooler Master HAF 922 case?
    What do you mean having to buy an extra cooler? You mean for the CPU? If you're doing any sort of overclocking, the best bet is to get an after-market CPU cooler such as the CM Hyper 212 Plus. Though if it's not that, I'm confused by what you mean.

Deleted
    think CPU cooler yes, cause someone said that if i want to overclock i have to buy another cooler

The stock Sandy Bridge CPU cooler can handle overclocks on the i5-2500K up to about 4GHz or so, at least that's what I would keep it at. Anything higher, definitely get a different CPU cooler. Plus, why wouldn't you take that thing as far as it would go, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    The stock Sandy Bridge CPU cooler can handle overclocks on the i5-2500K up to about 4GHz or so, at least that's what I would keep it at. Anything higher, definitely get a different CPU cooler. Plus, why wouldn't you take that thing as far as it would go, anyway?
    I agree with this, you have the ability to, they can do it easily, why not? Seems like a waste. The K version is only like, what? 20 bucks more? Totally worth it to grab it and OC, only time i'd say otherwise if the chip was for a Media Center or something, and then, you wouldn't need a 2500.

EDIT: Yes I know you have the K already, that was my point. No sense getting it and not OCing it.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

I would personally go with a larger PSU just to have the added capacity for it to function in its most efficient range. Something in the 850 range would suit you fine and have stronger +12V rail/s for overclocking stability.

Deleted
    PC's are so cheap nowadays you are better off spending 100 euro more than overclocking...will last you're pc a lot longer if you don't do retarded with it.

with the help of my previous post, i made a build for overclocking to play the lastest games (and wow ofc).

motherboard: ASUS P67 Motherboards - P8P67
    Optical: Sony Optiarc AD5260s 24x SATA
    HHD: 1,0TB WesternDigital WD10EALX 32/SATA3

I have a similar rig to that right now:
    Case: CoolerMaster HAF 922
    Power: OCZ Mod Extreme 700W
    Processor: Intel 2500k
    Motherboard: MSI P67A-G43
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    Hard Drives: Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe 60GB, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB, (and two other older drives that are 320GB and 160GB)
    Video: MSI GTX570
    CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster V8

As an every day overclock, I run my chip at 4.5 GHz, but when I want to make a run at benchmarks I have made successful benchmarks at 5.1 GHz. The CoolerMaster 212 is a solid heatsink, even for overclocking. I can tell you for a fact that if you have the HAF 922, you can fit any of the top 5 performing air coolers inside the case, while still using side fans. The HAF 922 is an unusually wide case, so it has plenty of room for any cooler you want. I highly recommend that case, but as for the rest of your parts selected, you have a very good starting point.

My only other recommendation I would make, is that you should consider looking into solid state hard drives for a boot drive, and keep your 1TB drive for installing games and storage. Once you use a PC with a solid state drive, you will never want to go back.

---------- Post added 2011-05-09 at 10:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 99sitr View Post
    I would personally go with a larger PSU just to have the added capacity for it to function in its most efficient range. Something in the 850 range would suit you fine and have stronger +12V rail/s for overclocking stability.
    850 is a bit of overkill unless he is running multiple graphics cards. Remember that the Sandy Bridge chips are much, much lighter on the power bill, being that they are on the 32nm die. Even while overclocking, 700-750 is sufficient with his components. I would agree with you if he were trying to OC one of the bigger brother i7s though.

---------- Post added 2011-05-09 at 10:27 PM ----------

Also, the stock Intel cooler with the 2500k is complete crap. Do no overclock with this! You will cause heat related stress on your CPU, despite what you think. Just because it will run without crashing, does not mean that you have a stable and safe overclock!

the hyper 212+ will definitely fit in the 300, but it's a pretty tight fit. The wire management is pretty poor to non-existent in the 300 as well. It also doesn't come with the 2x120mm front fans, or 120mm side fan. You'll have to purchase and install those yourself, which ultimately will probably put the price of your case in range of much better offerings like the HAF 922 already mentioned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    PC's are so cheap nowadays you are better off spending 100 euro more than overclocking...will last you're pc a lot longer if you don't do retarded with it.
    What do you mean, that i better not overclock it?

--

so, if i replace the 300 for a 922 im good to go?

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean, that i better not overclock it?
    I don't think he has any clue what he's talking about, ignore that. Overclock all the way

so, if i replace the 300 for a 922 im good to go?
    Yeah that'll take care of things as far as space-requirements go.

More importantly, this PSU..
    Do not get this, Coolermaster's GX series aren't built for gaming/overclocking. A GTX570 + overclocked 2500k could mean a very short life for such a cheap-o PSU, it could even fizz out if stressed. Get a TX650 at minimum, preferably a 700-750w+ if you plan on overclocking with headroom to add more stuff later. I would OC that GTX570 a bit too to get the most out of it
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    is the "Corsair TX750W Power Supply" a good PSU? (performance/money)

or is the TP-650 650W good enough?

or any other suggestions?
    Last edited by mmocae0c8fabeb; 2011-05-10 at 04:35 PM.

Both of those are quality power supplies.

10+ Year Old Account
    is the "Corsair TX750W Power Supply" a good PSU? (performance/money)

or is the TP-650 650W good enough?

or any other suggestions?
    I would grab the TX750.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

He doesnt really need 750 since he has one graphic card
    Last edited by georgevonfranken; 2011-05-10 at 10:35 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

First off that is a bad suggestion for Ram, that wont leave you much headroom for tweaking up the speed. Go with 1600 or better. If your running a 570 and you plan on OC that thing then I would go with 750+ PS. As for the cooler, the Hyper 212 will work but its a tight fit. If you have the budget http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-010-_-Product works pretty well for the price.

For $20 more you can up your HD with Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136533. The slowest part of the System is the HD, SATA6 and 64 mb makes a difference on games like WoW that constantly Cache.