Going to the gym with an injury, good idea?

I've been playing soccer for 10 years now, this was my last season. 3 matches before the end of my season i had an accident durring a training which thorn some muscles in my ankle. I don´t really got the english word for them :P sorry. Anyway, as we speak my foot is still not fully healed (4 weeks further) even though treathment. It is absolutely clear that i will never be able to use my right foot the way i used to. Usually you'll train your leg to sortoff take over from your injured foot. But the doctor told me that thanks to my leg muscles already being trained i did not have to. However right now it still hurts alot when i make some moves which sortoff twist my ankle. Now i want to go to the gym for the first time in my life (17 years old), just wondering i only have been to a real gym twice. Will i be able to do the stuff my mates do while being in the gym? Think exercises that twist your foot a little bit to the side, it would be a bummer if i can't exercise my legs since i really don't want to throw away all those years of training. I went with this question to the docter, he told me that he didn't knew and that i should advice anyone with experience.
    So basically what can and what can't i do in the gym with my injury?
    Nerfs actually make me laugh

If it's absolutely clear that you can't use your foot the way you used to, then don't use it in any way you can't use it now.. if that makes sense

Also I think you shouldn't stress your legs for the 4 weeks you mentioned, see how things feel after that.

First thing, don't ever "compare" yourself to others at the gym. Trying to imitate or one up anyone else is just calling for further injury. Work at your own pace, and you should really either talk to a doctor or do more research before doing anything with that leg. You can permanently injure yourself by going in with no preparation and using a hurt body part. It won't be as bad to stay off it and work other parts, but you should really get a doctor's opinion before going too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyx View Post
    First thing, don't ever "compare" yourself to others at the gym. Trying to imitate or one up anyone else is just calling for further injury. Work at your own pace, and you should really either talk to a doctor or do more research before doing anything with that leg. You can permanently injure yourself by going in with no preparation and using a hurt body part. It won't be as bad to stay off it and work other parts, but you should really get a doctor's opinion before going too far.
    I fully agree, i shouldn't compare myself to anyone. I'm just wondering if i can so the same excercises at all. And i really wish the docters in my town could assist be better. But quite frankly they can't, i can't really go to a docter elswere. I'll have to do it with my own feeling. Right now i can walk normally, run normally, stand on my injured foot normaly. Only twisting to the left and right hurts. I'm just thinking if those things make me unable to do certain stuff.
    Nerfs actually make me laugh

Do not work out if you're not up to it. This means do not work out if you're injured or sick. Let your body spend its energy trying to improve your ankle/fight the sickness or whatever rather than having to repair the muscles you worked from working out.

If you're so determined to go and workout, do things that won't push your ankle. If you're going to do cardio, ride a bike. If you're going to lift, work your upper body/core.

You could always ask the trainer there. More often than not they're pretty good people. Unless you take up a ton of their time, they won't charge you for a session. Like if you ask them on a couple of things you could do to not stress your ankle, you'll probably be ok.

Most gyms have employees which can help you on such matter. You should consult with them about which exercises you should do and which you shouldn't do. If they don't have the expertise, you should seek guidance at a physiotherapist or similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest taking your pokemon to a pokemon center first, gym battles with already injured pokemon is asking to have your money taken away from you.

All jokes aside, I'd personally stay home and let myself heal up before heading back in, unless of course, its something very isolated. Like an injured ankle? It might prove to be annoying in certain situations, but there's still stuff you could do with your upper that wont affect it. Just no squats and such.

If I was you I assuming you have torn a ligament or along those lines. If you wanna work on cardio go for swimming. Although as you progress through going from say swimming to cycling to then running, If it causes you pain don't do it just stay doing something you are able to do pain free, I can't fully remember but its around 2-3 weeks till you should start of training/working out that involves your ankle. In the meantime just work on your upper body really, all you can do. You should already have a ankle brace but yeah if not definitely need one. But yeah after 2-3 of initial injury swimming is best way to go, very calming aswell as it can get bloody annoying having to sit around.

You can definitely go to the gym. What you can do will be limited, and as said before don't let others intimidate you. Any exercise that requires some sort of movement will be difficult. I personally would not accept the statement that your ankle will never be the same. I believe there is rehabiliation for every muscle in the body. You should start off as basic as basic can get. Start by walking on a treadmill until it becomes uncomfortable. Do that until you feel comfortable enough to start running on it, then run until it becomes uncomfortable. Letting it rest, as well as icing it, a day or two before going again, of course. By the time you start feeling confident to run you should be able to start doing lateral exercises, squats with no weights, lunges, hopping from side to side, even balancing on one foot. After a while your ankle will become stronger. It may be a long process but it will be worth it. In terms of doing upper body exercises, they may be tough as well if you use free weights. I would recommend sticking to machines until the ankle becomes stronger. Your ankle will be the same if not stronger, I wouldn't take that comment from the doctor sitting down. With every sport comes injuries, you need to be able and willing to rehab it, make it stronger, and be ready to come back to the game with an attitude to win. Hope that gives you some inspiration!