They fucked up Dorne big time. Book Doran, you knew he was a sly fox, he is playing a game- but what is it? You get hints, the marriage pact, but what else was he upto? It had an air of intrigue, just like the North. TV Doran, having cast such a good actor....the writers let him down.

I think S5 really suffered for being 10 episodes. I don't think they really nailed any of the plot lines, except maybe Dany's, and maybe Tyrion. Dorne and the North were such intriguing places in the book, you could sense the undercurrent of malcontent, you could sense the schemes. They didn't do them justice. Well, aside from the Wall scenes, those were pretty good, but I think it could have tied in better with the events in Winterfell. I really didn't like the direction one bit.

But Hardhome was balls to the wall awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

dorne / oberyns sand snake daughters were easily the worst thing the tv show has done so far. Like, it was such a drop in quality compared to the rest of the show its mind boggling I don't even want to go into it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    dorne / oberyns sand snake daughters were easily the worst thing the tv show has done so far. Like, it was such a drop in quality compared to the rest of the show its mind boggling I don't even want to go into it.
    The show needed to show all powerful hot women. For the sake of equality.

The whole Dorne storyline was there to remind the viewers that exotic cultures are equal to ours.

Etc.

The show creators are really great at foisting an agenda on everyone. They needed to be inclusive etc etc.

They'd hate The Sopranos and Breaking Bad. The main African American character in Breaking Bad was a drug dealer.

For example. That wouldn't be tolerated in Game of Thrones.
    Last edited by mmoc614a3ed308; 2015-10-17 at 09:07 PM.

Deleted
    Here we go again...

If they had some fancy agenda, they'd have done something with Dorne. They did nothing. They did nothing with the characters, not even those that supposedly are being pushed to the front. The Sand Snakes were useless, stupid, pointless, and an insult to women if anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    Here we go again...

If they had some fancy agenda, they'd have done something with Dorne. They did nothing. They did nothing with the characters, not even those that supposedly are being pushed to the front. The Sand Snakes were useless, stupid, pointless, and an insult to women if anything.
    Jaime Lannister was dominated by a middle eastern power.

That's the message that's being sent here.

After he was dominated by a woman (Brienne).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    Jaime Lannister was dominated by a middle eastern power.

That's the message that's being sent here.

After he was dominated by a woman (Brienne).
    Oh do go and have your head dominated by a donkey's bum. This 'message' if it ever existed is fucking lost in the horrendous awfulness of how it was all done.

The 'agenda' is D&D pushing their bloody stupid fanfic that relies on whatever characters are popular either winning out hardcore or being kicked in the nadgers hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    Here we go again...

Don't take the bait... just don't.

Deleted
    Indeed, just put him on ignore and move on

Dorne has traditionally been compared to Spain, not the Middle East. But whatever.

Dorne had so much potential - but they just rushed through it. Myrcella's demise might have had a bigger impact if we'd had more than a handful of scenes with her. The Sand Snake's biggest weakness is the quality of the actresses in my opinion. They just don't hold up next to the rest of the cast - who are all super talented. Ellaria went from being sympathetic to comically stereo-typically evil.

Deleted
    Ellaria scenes in S5 only confirm that Pedro Pascal is an even better actor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Dorne had so much potential - but they just rushed through it. Myrcella's demise might have had a bigger impact if we'd had more than a handful of scenes with her. The Sand Snake's biggest weakness is the quality of the actresses in my opinion. They just don't hold up next to the rest of the cast - who are all super talented. Ellaria went from being sympathetic to comically stereo-typically evil.
    What are you talking about - the Sand Snakes were top quality... oh, wait, you meant acting ability. My mistake.

I agree with you on that front, although I won't blame it all on the actresses - odd costuming choices, writing and dialog that's well below par for the show... just weak with no excuse for it. Even if those ladies were Lauren Bacall, Katherine Hepburn, and Natalie Portman, they would have had trouble rescuing those parts of the show. And Ellaria Sand doing a 180 from her book role into super-villainess wasn't great either.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    What are you talking about - the Sand Snakes were top quality... oh, wait, you meant acting ability. My mistake.

I agree with you on that front, although I won't blame it all on the actresses - odd costuming choices, writing and dialog that's well below par for the show... just weak with no excuse for it. Even if those ladies were Lauren Bacall, Katherine Hepburn, and Natalie Portman, they would have had trouble rescuing those parts of the show. And Ellaria Sand doing a 180 from her book role into super-villainess wasn't great either.
    Agreed. One of them was Oscar nominated as a kid. The writing was just poor.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Dorne has traditionally been compared to Spain, not the Middle East. But whatever.
    Yep. Has the same mix of cultures, skin tones and eye colours. And has the same sexually progressive atmosphere.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Biggest issue with Dorne was lack of Arianne and Quentyn. Both Arianne's and Quentyn's internal struggle to show themselves worthy of their father's hopes drive much of the Dornish plot in the books.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    Biggest issue with Dorne was lack of Arianne and Quentyn. Both Arianne's and Quentyn's internal struggle to show themselves worthy of their father's hopes drive much of the Dornish plot in the books.
    Second biggest issue with Dorne was too much focus on the Sand Snakes.

Deleted
    Biggest issue was no Darkstar obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post
    I was expecting this elite hit squad, a hurricane of badassery. At the time, I hadn't read the books, and from the stuff before S5, it seemed to me like they would be a force to be reckoned with. I am sad at how badly I missed the mark.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post
    Yep, and I just don't understand it. They (tried to) give them all the sex appeal that Arianne clearly has in the books. The woman seduced the most chaste of the Kingsguard for heaven's sake. Then wrapped him around her ... finger so tightly that he promptly committed suicide-by-cop in an attempt to crown Myrcella Baratheon. She's now seemingly on her way to have a torrid love affair with a dashing Aegon, which will likely end in a firey bloodbath at the end of Drogon's jaws after the Golden Company - Dorne alliance goes to war with Denaerys.

Seriously... what the hell? They cut that shit?

And then decided to glamorize the Sand Snakes, who are supposed to be less Desperate Housewives and more Jason Bourne. For those book readers, "Alleras" the Sphinx, the "male" novice at the citadel? Yeah, that's Sarella Sand. I'm betting that half the book readers still didn't catch that. The other ones are all deep cover as well. Septa Lemore may or may not be one. And one likely is in King's Landing already. Why the hell are they butchering this?!
    Last edited by Sooba; 2015-10-19 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    Yep, and I just don't understand it. They (tried to) give them all the sex appeal that Arianne clearly has in the books. The woman seduced the most chaste of the Kingsguard for heaven's sake. Then wrapped him around her ... finger so tightly that he promptly committed suicide-by-cop in an attempt to crown Myrcella Baratheon. She's now seemingly on her way to have a torrid love affair with a dashing Aegon, which will likely end in a firey bloodbath at the end of Drogon's jaws after the Golden Company - Dorne alliance goes to war with Denaerys.

Seriously... what the hell? They cut that shit?

And then decided to glamorize the Sand Snakes, who are supposed to be less Desperate Housewives and more Jason Bourne. For those book readers, "Alleras" the Sphinx, the "male" novice at the citadel? Yeah, that's Sarella Sand. I'm betting that half the book readers still didn't catch that. The other ones are all deep cover as well. Septa Lemore may or may not be one. And one likely is in King's Landing already. Why the hell are they butchering this?!
    Gotta have that bad pussy.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

But Cleganebowl get hype