1. #1

    Will this computer run Wow?

    Ok, I'm creating this thread from my laptop so I can't give you the direct Dxdiag, but I did go onto the computer and get the info.

    Microsoft XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 502MB RAM
    Display Device: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

    It's an old, old computer that my dad got from his office. My current laptop has an unsupported graphics card so that's my biggest concern seeing as it's another "chipset" device. Other than that, I'm fairly certain that this setup should play "fine" on all low settings.

    If this onboard graphics card is unsupported, is there any way that you guys could tell me a cheap, supported graphics card? If this computer won't run WoW then I'm just going to quit playing D:

    Thanks.
    Whaleshark /spits on your science.

  2. #2
    Ouch.... quitting might be more enjoyable. The fact it's an IGP AND such low RAM means you won't be able to do much at all, even at low settings.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Ouch.... quitting might be more enjoyable. The fact it's an IGP AND such low RAM means you won't be able to do much at all, even at low settings.
    RAM is cheap, that's a nonissue pretty much. Official forums are crap, so I don't think a blue will be answering my question. Guess I'm just gonna have to see /sigh
    Whaleshark /spits on your science.

  4. #4
    DDR2 RAM actually costs more than DDR3 RAM now. Too bad I can't sell any of either.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

  5. #5
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,022
    I'd agree with Ispano.... and upgrading the RAM wouldn't even do much, since WoW is more GPU and CPU based... I'd honestly not even want to play on a laptop like that, I'd just spend my time searching for a job or something to replace it. That just wouldn't be a fun gaming experience at all.

  6. #6
    Nope, this won't play WoW, sorry. I tried with other computer years ago with better specs than you have now, and it went horribly - best I would get was 3-5 fps in a starter zone with bare minimum settings. Now, we are playing Cata, not classic, where computing requirements are.. higher.

    Save up $15/month and eventually get yourself a playable machine or just quit.

    For clarifications, the minimum specs are

    Windows XP 32bit (SP3), Windows XP 64bit (SP2), Windows Vista 32bit (SP1), Windows Vista 64bit (SP1):
    Intel Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500
    1GB or more of RAM
    NVIDIA® GeForce® FX or ATI Radeon™ 9500 video card or better
    DirectX-compatible sound card or motherboard sound capability
    25 GB free hard drive space
    You must have an active broadband Internet connection to play

    I'm not sure about your HDD but your laptop fails to meet at least 3 of these requirements, if I have read these specs correctly.

    Edit: Also, being at bare minimum or just below it wouldn't give you a pleasurable, fun and engaging gaming experience. Better off playing Warcraft 3 or Diablo I/II. Now that is a bunch of fun games without being heavy on your computer

    Warcraft 3 Battle Chest is up on Amazon for almost same as much WoW costs per month. I'd suggest you trying that out
    Last edited by Graham110; 2011-05-10 at 12:25 AM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Irefusetodie View Post
    RAM is cheap, that's a nonissue pretty much. Official forums are crap, so I don't think a blue will be answering my question. Guess I'm just gonna have to see /sigh
    1) Graphic card is unsupported
    2) Not enough memory

    As mentioned already you can always buy more memory, and the game *should* run if you add the following commands to your config.wtf.

    SET gxApi "opengl"
    SET fixedfunction "1"

    Although... if it runs which is doubtful... you can count on having less than 5 fps in extreme low population areas.

    Edit: As for upgrades you could take a look at one of the following AGP cards, but keep in mind that it will be a relatively small upgrade and it will still be unplayable in general.
    tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-4650-agp,2383.html

    Also, keep in mind as these are AGP cards, it's unlikely that you will be able to use it on your next machine.
    Last edited by Fujiwara; 2011-05-10 at 12:27 AM.

  8. #8
    bullshit... i run wow on 1,5ghz singlecore 1ghz ram and a graphic card that came out in year 2000 and on lowest setting it runs nearly lagfree lol... all you stylers dont have to prove that higher graphics need better pc... but on the pc she has... just upgrade ram a bit and maybe a supported cheap graphic card and everyhting is ok.. and you even dont need to play on lowest setting to play lagfree with that pc

    i think my graphic card was geforce 5400 something... pretty old shit lol

    graphic cards that can run wow on lowest settings u can get for 10-20 dollars lol
    Last edited by Mikkiller93; 2011-05-10 at 12:28 AM.

  9. #9
    Trust me, 10 fps on low settings would be more fun than screen freezes, WoW crashes, and blue screens of death >.>

    I'd just spend my time searching for a job or something to replace it.
    My apartment and all my crap were blown away in Tuscaloosa, working with what I got D: Hopefully I'll find a job soon now that I'm back at home for the summer.

    Would you guys suggest building a whole new computer or just adding a graphics card/ram/whatever else? I hate having sunk so much time and money into this game to just up and quit. Might just buy a 360 and call it even.
    Last edited by Irefusetodie; 2011-05-10 at 12:28 AM.
    Whaleshark /spits on your science.

  10. #10
    upgrade...
    wow on lowest settings doesnt need that much requirements... thats what wow makes so popular.. it even works on 10 year old pcs
    buy a cheap 20 dollar graphic card that is supported and maybe buy 1k ram for 10 dollar... everything is fine then

  11. #11
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Irefusetodie View Post
    Trust me, 10 fps on low settings would be more fun than screen freezes, WoW crashes, and blue screens of death >.>


    My apartment and all my crap were blown away in Tuscaloosa, working with what I got D: Hopefully I'll find a job soon now that I'm back at home for the summer.

    Would you guys suggest building a whole new computer or just adding a graphics card/ram/whatever else? I hate having sunk so much time and money into this game to just up and quit. Might just buy a 360 and call it even.
    360s are bad, don't waste your time/money. ;P
    I'd say build a new computer, it's fun and a lot of the newer architecture is pretty insanely powerful. You could make a Sandybridge with a Z68 board if you wanted to. ;p

    And blown away in Tuscaloosa? I feel like I'm ignorant to what you mean. >_<

  12. #12
    And blown away in Tuscaloosa? I feel like I'm ignorant to what you mean. >_<
    From the F4-5 tornado that ripped through the city. One of many towns damaged in the Southern US from a series of storms.
    Whaleshark /spits on your science.

  13. #13
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikkiller93 View Post
    bullshit... i run wow on 1,5ghz singlecore 1ghz ram and a graphic card that came out in year 2000 and on lowest setting it runs nearly lagfree lol... all you stylers dont have to prove that higher graphics need better pc... but on the pc she has... just upgrade ram a bit and maybe a supported cheap graphic card and everyhting is ok.. and you even dont need to play on lowest setting to play lagfree with that pc

    i think my graphic card was geforce 5400 something... pretty old shit lol

    graphic cards that can run wow on lowest settings u can get for 10-20 dollars lol
    Would cost them enough just to have a GPU and RAM installed since it's a laptop.

    ---------- Post added 2011-05-10 at 12:34 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Irefusetodie View Post
    From the F4-5 tornado that ripped through the city. One of many towns damaged in the Southern US from a series of storms.
    Oh jeeze, my condolences for that. I can't imagine what that would be like, nothing less than heart-breaking I am sure.

  14. #14
    Would cost them enough just to have a GPU and RAM installed since it's a laptop.
    It's a tower, not a laptop. Sorry for the confusion, I said I created this thread from my laptop since I don't have anything to hook the computer up to the wifi.

    Oh jeeze, my condolences for that. I can't imagine what that would be like, nothing less than heart-breaking I am sure.
    Thankfully I had already moved most of my crap out since I went home for easter. I didn't lose much other than my TV, futon, and some clothes. Luckily the tornado missed the U of Alabama campus. Glad I decided to go to class that day >.>
    Whaleshark /spits on your science.

  15. #15
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Irefusetodie View Post
    It's a tower, not a laptop. Sorry for the confusion, I said I created this thread from my laptop since I don't have anything to hook the computer up to the wifi.


    Thankfully I had already moved most of my crap out since I went home for easter. I didn't lose much other than my TV, futon, and some clothes. Luckily the tornado missed the U of Alabama campus. Glad I decided to go to class that day >.>
    Ooooohh, ok. Well that changes things a bit. Though I would still build a new computer. :P Would help your cause a lot.

  16. #16
    The Lightbringer Kouki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Irefusetodie View Post
    Ok, I'm creating this thread from my laptop so I can't give you the direct Dxdiag, but I did go onto the computer and get the info.

    Microsoft XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 502MB RAM
    Display Device: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

    It's an old, old computer that my dad got from his office. My current laptop has an unsupported graphics card so that's my biggest concern seeing as it's another "chipset" device. Other than that, I'm fairly certain that this setup should play "fine" on all low settings.

    If this onboard graphics card is unsupported, is there any way that you guys could tell me a cheap, supported graphics card? If this computer won't run WoW then I'm just going to quit playing D:

    Thanks.
    Is just like my first computer.

    Emachines with an Agp slot and after i bought ram it had 712mb of ddrsd ram.

    It could not play on glass floors in raids, like the eye.

    And it would crash if i touched the floor or target a mob or player on the floor.

    I got an agp slot ati radeon video card.

    But now it would not run wow well on low settings, it would be red bared and slow in 25 mans.
    -Scrapbot stole my sig-

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •