Page 1 of 23
... LastLast

WoW Loses 600k Subscribers, Diablo 3 Beta Q3 2011, Arena Passe, Blue Posts

WoW Lost 600k Subscribers, down to 11.4M
    Activision Blizzard's earning call was today and we learned, among other things, that the WoW playerbase is down to 11.4M players. That's 5% less than before the expansion and it seems that players went through the Cataclysm content faster than expected.

Blizzard also promised faster release of new content and expansions during the call.

From Curse.com
    During today's Activision Blizzard earnings call, World of Warcraft and its expansion Cataclysm were two very hot topics. Listeners asked a number of questions related to the game, more than any other title or franchise in the publisher's stable.

Of note, World of Warcraft's subscriber base has reached pre-Cataclysm levels, according to Mike Morhaime, CEO of Blizzard Entertainment. He then later stated an actual number, with subscriptions at the end of March clocking in at right around 11.4 million.

That's down by about 5% from the announced 12 million mark late last year. Interestingly enough, that was right before Cataclysm released. In fact, it's actually lower than the milestone reached in 2008 with the release of Wrath of the Lich King.

But one important thing to point out, and Mr. Morhaime touched on this as well, is that World of Warcraft's subscriber base does not change linearly. It fluctuates based on content consumption, which players seem to be doing a whole lot of -- at a more rapid pace -- with Cataclysm. "Subscriber levels have decreased faster than previous expansions," he said.

Surprising? Not really. We have to remember that when these numbers were pulled, Cataclysm was in a bit of a lull. The expansion had been out for close to four months, and most of its content had been consumed by a large percentage of the player base -- aside from heroic raids.

Diablo 3 Public Beta in Q3 2011
    The 2nd big interesting thing from the earning call was the announcement of Diablo 3's public beta in Q3 2011, it looks like the summer will be busy between Patch 4.2 and Diablo 3 ... For more Diablo related news, head to Diablofans.com.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    The 3rd quarter reference in the earning's call today was a calendar quarter, meaning that we're aiming to launch the Diablo III beta between July 1st and September 30th. Keep in mind that it's our current goal, and of course that can change as development continues.

2011 Arena Pass: Phases
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    The 2011 Arena Pass is split into several different phases. To help you gain a more detailed understanding of how this year’s Arena Pass will unfold, you can find an explanation of the different phases in this article. You can also find out which matches are counted towards receiving a pet or title!

Registration Phase
    4 May – 21 June (9pm CEST)
    During this period you can register for the European 2011 Arena Pass Service. Registration will be closed outside of these dates.

Practice Phase
    11 May – 8 June
    During this period you will be able to enjoy the Arena Pass Realm and practice your setup with your friends. Matches played during this phase will not count towards the pet and title prizes.

Ranked Ladder Phase 1
    8 June– 22 June
    All Arena Rating points will be set to zero when this phase begins. Ranked 3v3 matches played during this phase will count towards the pet and title prizes. If a player switches from one Arena Team to another, the Arena Team that the player joins will have their Arena Rating reduced by 150 points.

Ranked Ladder Phase 2
    22 June – 4 July (9pm CEST)
    Ranked 3v3 matches played during this phase will count towards the pet and title prizes. During the Ranked Ladder Phase 2 of the Arena Pass Service, players cannot switch Arena Teams.

Prize Eligibility
    Ranked 3v3 matches that count toward the pet and title prizes will start on 8 June 2011, (once the weekly maintenance has ended) and end 4 July 2011, at 9pm CEST.

Please note that phases begin once weekly maintenance has finished on the dates specified, and end at the beginning of maintenance on the dates specified (unless stated otherwise).

Blue Posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Legendary Staff availability
    It's actually easier to get started on the path to acquire this legendary; the journey itself is more difficult though. Regardless, players who have cleared the prior tier of raid content are the only ones eligible to begin the quest line -- any player who's part of a group which is capable of accomplishing that probably has a good shot at getting a staff for themselves. (Source)

Legendary Staff - Guild Pet Reward
    We're doing something wholly unprecedented in the history of World of Warcraft, by making the acquisition of this Legendary result in a pet for the whole group responsible. Never before has an entire guild been able to acquire any kind of item for helping a member acquire an item or achievement.

We thought that was pretty cool. (Source)

Legendary weapons in 5-man instances?
    At least for the foreseeable future, we’re shying away from the model where individuals or five man groups can acquire legendary items, because that could have several possible effects which don't mesh well with our idea of what these items should represent. The items might become common enough that orange becomes the new purple, or so random that the acquisition doesn’t feel particularly good, or we’d have to include a lot of artificial controls on how many of those items end up on a given realm despite a thin veneer of accessibility. Any way you slice it, we think that this would diminish the appeal of these items, and that’s not the way we want to go for now.

We do want the path to getting them to be more than a scavenger hunt though, and we’re continually trying to make the experience of acquiring a legendary weapon more… legendary. We learn as we go. For example, we’re unlikely to ever again do the Molten Core / Black Temple style legendary drops where sometimes you get lucky and more often, you don’t. We think that was really excessively random, and perhaps more importantly, it lost the entire sense of ceremony involved in forging your weapon. To return to the point of discussion that spawned this thread, Dragonwrath is almost the polar opposite of that. Sure, there is a “gated” portion of the quest line, which involves killing Firelands raid bosses, because we want this weapon to be something that a group has to work for and so that nobody is completing their legendary on the first week. But there is also a ton of other content as well: many new quests, legendary-specific raid boss fights, and a great personal challenge which evokes the spirit of those old classic World of Warcraft epic quests. The staff is really awesome in itself, and is rewarding for the whole group which completes it. I think that’s pretty cool, and I hope that those who get the opportunity to pursue the staff feel the same way. (Source)

Legendary items are only for people lucky enough to have a raid!
    I'm not sure that you can call being a dedicated raider a matter of luck.

When someone plays a video game, they’re usually faced with a lot of choices. World of Warcraft has a ton of choices, and being part of a guild and choosing to raid is one of the more important choices one makes. World of Warcraft has also had a pretty clear structure of progression for a long time. There’s leveling content; all the quests, dungeons, and events which one can experience as they increase in power toward maximum level. Then, at the level cap, there are some new tiers of content. Top end daily quests, five man dungeons and heroics, battlegrounds, PvP zones and the like. This is all extremely accessible, and (we hope) all players who reach maximum level in World of Warcraft will experience all of it. Then, for the players who choose to pursue the necessary preparations and relationships, there are arenas, rated battlegrounds and raids. Those are the most demanding World of Warcraft experiences available, and we hope that most players will make the choice to take their skills there and see at least some of that content, since there are some very rich experiences to be had.

Raids in particular are intentionally challenging environments, and they are meant to stand up as obstacles to overcome, to reward players who are willing to develop the relationships and coordination with other World of Warcraft players to meet and beat the toughest challenges the game has to offer. They represent achievements to aspire to and we put a lot of time into that content and try to make it rewarding because we want you to want to see it.

Legendary weapons are legendary in part because of lore, and in part because of the grand adventure it is to achieve them. They are intended to represent a goal for an entire guild and raid group, and acquiring such a weapon reflects on the raid and guild as a whole. This helps us keep these items rare, which makes them more exciting and prestigious, which, in turn, allows us to make them more powerful. (Source)

The Daily Blink
    I didn't post anything from The Daily Blink in a while and they said I can have my Garfield plush back only if I resume posting. I liked this one a few weeks ago but couldn't post it because of all the Patch 4.2 content, fixed!

Poor blizzard! can't wait for d3!!!

Lots o news!

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    In before people claim the sky is falling!

But seriously, this is to be expected during a content lull like right now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Looking foward to the "See told ya Cataclysm sucks" post about the 600k subscribers lost. It's still going strong though. =]

Deleted
    "players who have cleared the prior tier of raid content are the only ones eligible to begin the quest line"

Does that mean in Normal mode or Heroic mode anyway its an interesting idea if its in heroic mode it will make ppl come back to the old tier to try and clear its so that they can get the ledgendary

10+ Year Old Account
    First there were forum posts about people who were quitting.

Now, there will be forum posts about statistics showing people who were quitting.

And you know there will be forum posts about those forum posts showing statistics about people who were quitting, proving/disproving them and such.

Oh, the humanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    hardly that big of a deal, they still beat any other mmo in terms of subscribers by a long shot and it's the holidays here in america which means people are going and vacation which means they're cancelling their subscriptions for short while. Not to mention that a new tier of raiding hasnt come out since cata has launched. check the numbers one or two months into 4.2 and i can assure you that it will shoot back up.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Oh snap...

I came in my pants a bit when I read about the D3 Open Beta...

Cant wait!

Deleted
    If they stopped fucking around with buffing classes and giving them fotm for few months and actually fixing the game they would have some subscribers left

yep, diablo 3 is coming soon, just in time for wow to die and lose the rest of its subs

GG

11.4m is still a pretty large number.

And that is yet the beginning! Blizzard will yet taste what does it mean to treat their players like cattle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    And that is yet the beginning! Blizzard will yet taste what does it mean to treat their players like cattle.
    They treat their players less like cattle then any other developers I know, based on how many subscribers WoW has.

Also, 5% is nothing, second place for a sub based MMO is what, 3 million? It is a lull in content, so anyone who thinks the sky is falling can gtfo until 4.2 hits and they release the numbers then.

That daily blink. So delicious.

If they actually balanced the game instead of sitting around and doing jack sh*t all day, waiting months to nerf grossly overpowered abilities like RoF, NS, CS and such I think at least half of these players including myself would've stuck around, I'm not going to re-roll every time another class dominates mine, which seems like it's exactly what they want. disgusting

ILOLED @ daily blink haha athene ...

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    That subs lost is going to feed WoW is dying threads, ftw...

Probably the multiboxers who has stopped playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by samzam View Post
    If they actually balanced the game instead of sitting around and doing jack sh*t all day, waiting months to nerf grossly overpowered abilities like RoF, NS, CS and such I think at least half of these players including myself would've stuck around, I'm not going to re-roll every time another class dominates mine, which seems like it's exactly what they want. disgusting
    Based on how big this game is, I have never seen a more balanced game.