Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    What's the fuss about? You think a constant rise in subscribers means the game is "okay" and it's doomsday when it drops? People might want to realize that when a game becomes this large, the playerbase will flactuate A LOT. And it's summer. Clueless whiners will just use it as some sort of evidence that the game as a whole is on the decline. Imbeciles.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    They treat their players less like cattle then any other developers I know, based on how many subscribers WoW has.

Also, 5% is nothing, second place for a sub based MMO is what, 3 million? It is a lull in content, so anyone who thinks the sky is falling can gtfo until 4.2 hits and they release the numbers then.
    Discounting china which has growing sub numbers but lower sub costs, eu/na is looking at more of a 15-20 percent decline which is pretty large in less than a year. Also the last numbers they pulled were in the largest content lull outside of rs the game has seen so the content lull excuse is a bit null and void.

---------- Post added 2011-05-10 at 12:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    What's the fuss about? You think a constant rise in subscribers means the game is "okay" and it's doomsday when it drops? People might want to realize that when a game becomes this large, the playerbase will flactuate A LOT. And it's summer. Clueless whiners will just use it as some sort of evidence that the game as a whole is on the decline. Imbeciles.
    March/april numbers =/= summer

And historically when mmo's start to decline they slowly keep declining without some huge change ala f2p switch. Wow had a great run and im sure it will be active for the next 3-4 years but i doubt 2012 more people will be playing than now.

Deleted
    is this "Rift" propaganda?

The sub loss isn't surprising at all. I can hardly see any interest in the game after playing it for so long. I tried resubbing and i got bored after the first week.
    Can't wait for diablo 3 though!

I'm sticking with wow could care less about D3 or Rift, made a mistake buying Aion a yr ago. WoW is where it's at!

So, looks like rift took 600k subscribers.
    Hardly the "Half the playerbase" people said it would be. That they're calling this a victory is hilarious.

Some of the loss of subscribers is indeed due to the current content getting "old" - no question about that. Another reason is that Cataclysm in some way is WoW v2 (with all the revamped content). I think many feels that the game is entirely new and see it as a possibility to quit.

Rift might have been the cause for some of the loss but as I understand that game seriously lacks endgame content?

Deleted
    Hm i think Blizzard is pretty happy about WoW his past and future, with WoW they could work on SC2 cause the massive MONEY income... they could work on D3 and also on TITAN, i mean all those games got the time in developement and like SC2 is a great game, so D3 and Titan will be good games aswell - so stop QQ about everyshit like little babys.. BORING.

Also you ever seen Software which worked 100% when upgraded or whatever, its same like on patchdays blabla mimimi, this doesn´t work.. im sure everyone which knows atleast something about coding will agree... u can´t do it without bugs... WoW is a TON of algorythm, code and what not. And u know, no computer is developing the shit for ya sure some parts will be autogenereted but the devs are real persons doing a good job in what they do atleast better as in 1000 other games of that genre.

Subs dropped, cause its getting to the summer, also most ppl which want to clear content did it already and are waiting for 4.2.Nothing special about it. U can also say many tried Rift and returned already to wow.
    (Rift release 4 march in europe, numbers from at the end of March clocking in at right around 11.4 million for wow subs.)

Sooooo mimimi, QQ, blabla more. Blizzard is doing a good job to keep WoW alive, sure they could do better as always, but many ppl here are just tards which use these comments for their own QQing about shit maybe because they quit already or couldn´t archieve anything in the game, if u want to be successful in an MMO u may have to act atleast a bit social. WoW isnt a 3s PVP only game where your combo may suck, or a 1man Dungeons game, u have to play with OTHER ppl and thats the point where most of those QQ ppl here obviously fail.

(yeah some parts are a bit offensive sorry for that.)
    Last edited by mmoc64ba3314e0; 2011-05-10 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wordup View Post
    Hardly the "Half the playerbase" people said it would be. That they're calling this a victory is hilarious.
    How about when you consider that the loss na/eu side is more like 20 percent and many of the rift players have an active account in this quarterly report since rift didn't release until well into it.

Deleted
    Funny how blizzard said to the players that the content hasn't been cleared by enough people to warrant bringing firelands out yet, and now they say to their shareholders that the content is being cleared by TOO MANY people, causing them to quit. Which one is it?

At least this will provide a wake up call to blizzard that they can't slack on raid content like they did for most of wotlk. If sub numbers continue dropping (and they will if firelands is not good enough) then the shareholders are not going to be happy.

If wow's sub numbers do decline permanently it'll probably start off slow but grow rapidly as guilds fall apart, friends quit and servers begin to lose their community due to enough people quitting. If firelands doesn't bring the standard back up then the sub numbers will just decline further.

I hope for everyone's sakes that Firelands will be Ulduar 2.0

Interesting thought: I wonder how many of those quitters were PVPers. People always said that WOTLK was the lowest point in pvp, but what if cataclysm hasn't met peoples expectations of "fixed" pvp? Perhaps the state that 2vs2 is in could be part of the cause.
    Take the most extreme opinion of your opponents you can, and then pretend that it's the norm and laugh at it.

Well played. You and I both know that the people saying Rift would take half of wow's player base were:
    1. A tiny minority.
    2. Complete idiots.

If Rift has taken 600k subscribers that is a huge victory for them. You can run mmo's on far less numbers..
    Last edited by mmoce719e7ace2; 2011-05-10 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingbaby View Post
    Hm i think Blizzard is pretty happy about WoW his past and future, with WoW they could work on SC2 cause the massive MONEY income... they could work on D3 and also on TITAN, i mean all those games got the time in developement and like SC2 is a great game, so D3 and Titan will be good games aswell - so stop QQ about everyshit like little babys.. BORING.

Also you ever seen Software which worked 100% when upgraded or whatever, its same like on patchdays blabla mimimi, this doesn´t work.. im sure everyone which knows atleast something about coding will agree... u can´t do it without bugs... WoW is a TON of algorythm, code and what not. And u know, no computer is developing the shit for ya sure some parts will be autogenereted but the devs are real persons doing a good job in what they do atleast better as in 1000 other games of that genre.

Subs dropped, cause its getting to the summer, also most ppl which want to clear content did it already and are waiting for 4.2.

Sooooo mimimi, QQ, blabla more. Blizzard is doing a good job to keep WoW alive, sure they could do better as always, but many ppl here are just tards which use these comments for their on QQing about shit maybe because they quit already or couldn´t archieve anything in the game, cause u know, if u want to be successful in an MMO u may have to act atleast a bit social. WoW isnt a 3s PVP only game where your combo may suck, or a 1man Dungeons game, u have to play with OTHER ppl and thats the point where most of those QQ ppl here obviously fail.

(yeah some parts are a bit offensive sorry for that.)
    You realize these quarterly numbers are active accounts jan-march, hardly after content got old and stale or summer was even close.

How about the fact that probably 80% of players are casual, and this tier of raiding is one of the hardest we've ever seen... and it requires a pretty dedicated raid team/schedule to clear...

Maybe that turns people away?

Pretty much saw it coming, and it also doesn't take into account how many players still have an account but don't log on anymore. Oh well, here's hoping to D3.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjenk View Post
    How about when you consider that the loss na/eu side is more like 20 percent
    Any source for this absolutely massive claim?

Deleted
    You realize these quarterly numbers are active accounts jan-march, hardly after content got old and stale or summer was even close.
    "old" in that way that ppl which wanted to clear the content, in normal/hc already did it around that time. + that rift came + it already gotten hotter around this time (atleast here in central europe) and the numbers are from end of march in total -600k so nothing special about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oztiks View Post
    um you missed the point either way and the sarcasm at the end....for Blizzard to announce 600k loss in subscriptions in less than 6 months but oh HEY! we have legendaries with pets! Come on please....yea by far its not a panick button time, but maybe it should be a wake up call to get back to what made Blizzard so LEGENDARY in LK. If not, and all you WoW lovers can QQ all you want but deep down in the depths of that muttled wow brain, you know those numbers of declind will keep rising even with Firelands coming out....
    Yeah LK was awesome!! Every raid was clearable in 1 night and dungeons in 20 minutes so much fun!! I quit in LK from pure boredom especially after we beat LK in the first 2 weeks (Im in a medium core raiding guild meaning we don't push for firsts but we do raid multiple nights and hours), then nothing for 10 months. (ToC wasn't fun either but i waited to see how icc was gonna be, wasn't really worth the wait)
    Not sure how dungeons and raids so easy a retarded monkey can clear it is fun?
    To be honest i would rather have hard content that lasts so if you have to wait longer for a patch atleast you still have stuff to do.

Sorry but i play a game to have fun, healing while also watching tv and eating dinner cause all i had to press was rejuv a wild growth (The LK model) wasn't fun, it was mind numbingly boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, this loss is still nothing compared what hit JoWood... This publisher has ruined a lot of good games - for example the Gothic series... I will never forgive them for that. So look arround you first, check out what's the stace of things elsewhere, then flame on Blizzard. Blizz cares for the player base (the community) unlike other companies/publishers. (Right JoWood?!)

It amazes me all the people vehemently defending Blizzard and making excuses as to why Blizzard lost 5% of their player base. I still think WoW is still overall a good game, but it does feel a bit stale now. I appreciate that they redesigned the leveling experience but there just isn't enough to do at level 85 compared to previous expansions. In short, Cataclysm is more boring than TBC and even WotLK.

I have no plans to quit WoW, but I am to the point that I only log in a couple nights a week to raid with my friends. I don't play nearly as much as I used to play because there just isn't anything else worth doing in my opinion. Everything is too easy: rep is too easy, cooking/fishing skillups are too easy, not enough variation in daily quests, character slots already filled and don't feel like leveling more alts, and so forth.

WoW has peaked and it will slowly be shedding customers. It doesn't mean that WoW sucks, but just that the golden days are over.

10+ Year Old Account
    March/april numbers =/= summer
    March? April? It's May as far as I know and it's f*****g hot right now. May = Summer. A lot of my mates are going on holidays after we graduate in High school... and a lot has already canceled their subs 'cause of graduations and holidays. So this is a valid statement.

I find it incredibly amusing that at least 15 people have posted with the "real" reason that they lost subs, and each one of them has a different reason. It's the PvP balance/homogenization/10 vs 25 man raids/heroic raids/heroic 5mans are too hard/too easy... obviously. Probably all of you are right to an extent, and Blizzard themselves are right that there's a certain amount of churn from seasonal factors and content release times. Personally I haven't quit, but I've been playing a lot less. Not becasue the content is too hard, too easy, or anything else. I'm just tired. I've played this game for years, it's starting to lose some of the magic for me. It's not anything Blizzard has or hasn't done, I'm just moving on.
    Last edited by DrgnDancer; 2011-05-10 at 01:00 PM.