Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It doesnt create an unfair playing field when the player(s) have EARNED it, by doing Heroic mode raid bosses, killing them in a certain amount of time or a certain way, and for some of them collecting 30-40 low-chance of dropping shards, off of bosses. In my opinion if they did all that, they definitely deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokty View Post
    This is what you might call an "opinion piece", not a scientific article. You don't write your news paper editor about removing all opinion from his editorials right?
    No it isn't, an opinion piece is filled with opinions, the only only opinion you give is...
    I don't think the raiding community even wants these items because of the uneven playing field they create, so I'm curious as to why Blizzard keeps making them.
    The rest of your post is you spouting off "facts" you made up.

PS.
    People don't seem to be very good at grasping what I'm saying so I'll make a sports analogy. Imagine that you are on a football (soccer) team. There are 11 players on the field. One player is almost always there, the goalkeeper (the main tank). The other 10 players are mostly the same every game, but depending on what shape people are in they can get a spot over someone else, and you can break into the team by being a good player. However, giving one player a legendary is like giving one player on the team super powers to shoot and run harder than everyone else. Yes, it might help your team win, but there's literally nothing the other players can do to reach the level of the guy with the super powers, and I think that's unfair.
    This is a horrible analogy. Raids are not directly playing against each other. Everyone has the same chance to get this item too, so its like "giving" this item to the other team, they have to earn it.

Acquiring it will be limited by the number of shards you can get per week. As such, a limited number of the casters in each guild will be able to get it while it's still relevant. I personally hope that the drop rate of these shards will be large enough that all casters will be able to get it before the next tier.

I said that I don't think it is as popular amongst raiders as Blizzard seems to believe.
    1. getting shards is ALOT easier than rng drop legendaries, ask ANYONE who's guild got thunderfury in vanilla or glaives in bc. heck in bc we saw 2 mh glaives but the oh took forever to drop =/. and thunderfury.....just ughhhh.

2. what you think and the actual facts arent exactly the same thing. people have always liked legendaries they arent meant to be something that makes you over powered its just something that gives u a slight boost.
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

No my argument is that when you have 2 equally good players, 1 player shouldn't be significantly "better" because he has an item the other player can't get.
    Welcome to WoW?
    To achieve higher quality gear is like... the core of end-game content. And yes, your argument IS over wanting your personal score to be higher.

To even suggest that it's unfair for someone else who by your very own terms is doing comparable dps with you to get an upgrade over you is nothing short of jealousy.
    If they are doing worse than you and they get it and still do worse than you feel like it was pointless to give it to them. Obvious emotions.
    If they are doing better than you and then they get it and still do better but now "slightly" better, than it seems fitting the the "pack leader" gets it.

If you really have such a problem with who gets it in your group, then offer a voting system suggestion to your raid. Everyone takes votes on who should get it and use information like: Does he/she have the gold to spend to get it? Does he/she follow mechanics? Does he/she show up consistently? Is he/she trustworthy to use it for the benefit of others? *queue power rangers knowing to use their weapons ONLY for defense.*
    Have a rule that no one can vote for themselves too.

With that said, majority wins and majority is what makes shit happen.

If you had been upset about someone using a legendary item against you in a PvP situation, i would understand you concern, i might not agree, but i would see merit in your argument.

A legendary item in PvE on the other hand is not of any detriment if a member in your raid uses it. Raiding is not about who did the most damage during a fight, or, who contributed the most. It's about getting the job done, and if you're like me, having fun doing it. I would be happy to have a mage or whatever else in our raid running a legendary, sure he may do more than the rogue or hunter, but everyone should just be happy to get shit done.

Edit: as Theoron said, this sounds like simple jealousy, and that being able to spout off about numbers is what is important to you. If thats the case, than i feel sorry for you that you cannot find more enjoyment in this game.
    Last edited by grug; 2011-05-10 at 02:23 PM.

It's a pretty simple thing. Ill describe you the situation with a example of a monkey with a banana.

1) Monkey sits away from the palm tree=no banana, monkey starves to death
    2) Monkey sits under the palm tree=a stinky, rotten banana, monkey isnt feeling healthy
    3) Monkey beginns to start climbing on a palm tree=a good, but still a bit green banana, monkey is fed and happy
    4) Monkey reaches the top of a palm tree=the best of bananas, ripe and juicy, monkey is in heaven.

Monkeys from 1) dont know what is a banana, so they dont care.
    Monkeys from 2) heard about a ripe banana, but still couldnt see it
    Monkeys from 3) started trying to reach the top and are damn jealous because of any monkey better than them that managed to get the best banana

Wow, hard one.

10+ Year Old Account
    The current state of driving has created a situation where as long as you are in the upper class, you now have access to the best cars and can somewhat compete with the members of the millionaires club as far as forbes rankings go. Naturally, the top clubs will have members owning the best cars, while you mightnot have the latest modeldue to less money earned. They will also buy new cars faster faster, but on the whole, you have a shot at not being terribly behind and you can get a good car(considering your money) even if you don't have the latest model. It's rewarding to me to play well and get that rank, and it also lets me know that I'm not doing anything terribly wrong in the encounter. But more than anything, you can legitimately compete within your own guild.

If this luxury car is more than just a ornamentalitem, every racerthat doesn't have one will be at a severe disadvantage, and I think that in a racing environment that is so much down to individual skill, no owner should have that large of an innate advantage over another owner. It's unfair, and frankly, bad design. I honestly can't think of a single good thing coming from introducing cars that are a) significantly stronger than most other cars in the same tier and b) only available to a few racers.

I don't think the racing community even wants these cars because of the uneven playing field they create, so I'm curious as to why Blizzard keeps making them.
    Ok buddy i just subbed in a few words to make you see how ridiculous your idea is. Imagine you applied your statement to something like, cars. Similar concept, take a read relax and just remember, games are about competition, not about everyone having the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think the raiding community even wants these items because of the uneven playing field they create, so I'm curious as to why Blizzard keeps making them.
    Yes, yes we do. "We" as in 95% of the community. Can't u just grant a few lucky people an awesome weapon after (hopefully) spending a great deal of time and dedicated raiding ? What does it matter if someone in your team does more damage than you, its still a group effort .

everybody has a chance of getting too, it's not like it's only for a selected few. As long as you reaaally want it and strive for it you will get it.

PS: maybe it IS for a selected few but if you want to you can be that guy .
    Quote Originally Posted by christschinwon
    these isolated tracks really do show the playing warts & all which is a good thing. I'd hate to think that my musical heros were machine like perfectionists. Steve Harris is & will always be just a cockney geezer who also happens to be a fucking great bass player!

If I'm going into a fight with a giant, hypothetical dragon, and I've only got one bazooka to share amongst my team members, I'm going to be happy to have that advantage for my entire team, and then I'm going to give that bazooka to the person most skilled in using it.

Legendaries are bazookas. Raiding is a team effort. :P

And yes, your argument IS over wanting your personal score to be higher.
    No, not higher. Equal, if I play equally well as someone else using the same class on the same boss. I don't really compare myself to other people in my guild since I'm the only one playing that spec. I do however compare myself to the world ranks for the bosses I do. I find that fun, but that fun will be gone when you can't rank without the legendary.

No, not higher. Equal, if I play equally well as someone else using the same class on the same boss. I don't really compare myself to other people in my guild since I'm the only one playing that spec. I do however compare myself to the world ranks for the bosses I do.
    If you're in a position where you're skilled enough to compete for those world ranks in the first place, you'll get a legendary anyways. It's not like there's a limited number of them to be handed out.

I think what the OP is getting at is during LK, as a plate dps you HAD to have SM to be considered as an app for a high rated guild, which creates the unfair advantage he's talking about. There were many cases of people immediately dropping guild after forging their SM and jumping over to "greener pastures."

10+ Year Old Account
    PS.
    People don't seem to be very good at grasping what I'm saying so I'll make a sports analogy. Imagine that you are on a football (soccer) team. There are 11 players on the field. One player is almost always there, the goalkeeper (the main tank). The other 10 players are mostly the same every game, but depending on what shape people are in they can get a spot over someone else, and you can break into the team by being a good player. However, giving one player a legendary is like giving one player on the team super powers to shoot and run harder than everyone else. Yes, it might help your team win, but there's literally nothing the other players can do to reach the level of the guy with the super powers, and I think that's unfair.
    And with this analogy you get Ronaldinho

My god Pokty you still dont get it after all the people explained to you that you are ridiculous in what you are saying :O
    Apply your concept to IRL MONEY , people that work hard (raid and down a lot of bosses ) and have a rly good job ( Good guild ) will have MONEYZ , if you are a slacker hobo you obviosly dont. People are different cant be equal some are poor some are rich , some are bad some are good the game , its the way it is....
    Get over it or play farmville :F

Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    I think what the OP is getting at is during LK, as a plate dps you HAD to have SM to be considered as an app for a high rated guild, which creates the unfair advantage he's talking about. There were many cases of people immediately dropping guild after forging their SM and jumping over to "greener pastures."
    Now, that is certainly a more understandable argument, I think, if it was what the OP was actually trying to get at, but he's subsequently said that he just doesn't like that without a legendary you can't apparently compete for world DPS rankings, which tend to be a gimmicky thing to compete for in the first place.

In any case, that would be more of a social problem; I haven't seen such issues in my own guilds, but I do know other guilds that HAVE had that kind of problem. I don't think the answer is to remove legendaries, however, as legendaries are quite simply a very cool part of the game for many players.

No, not higher. Equal, if I play equally well as someone else using the same class on the same boss. I don't really compare myself to other people in my guild since I'm the only one playing that spec. I do however compare myself to the world ranks for the bosses I do. I find that fun, but that fun will be gone when you can't rank without the legendary.
    Then you have an equal chance to get it, no? And if you end up getting it, are you not going to use it simply because it wouldn't be fair to the others?
    Point is, it's happening. They aren't taking it out. And that's not just it. I find it very hard to believe that you and every other dps with you has the exact same gear. None of you are ever equal unless you all have the exact same gear, gems, enchants, skill, computer to play on, work schedule to learn and play, lover to pork after winning the legendary, etc. Equality is a nice image, but it's far from real.

The best you can do is... your best. If you're doing that, and you're doing it right, then that's all anyone can ask of you.

I'm not even going to read this whole thread, cause chances are, it's full of dumb. I'd just like to pop in and say, Not only do I want it (as a member of the raiding community, non-caster, and member of a guild who HASN'T done 12/12 yet), but I think legendaries should be as strong as epics of the next x-pac, so they aren't immediately replaced with greens from questing.

um why should it be equal? if people put more time into it they should have the right to have a small boost. i mean do you even know what hardcore guilds do to get progression? its ALOT different than a normal guild.
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    If you're in a position where you're skilled enough to compete for those world ranks in the first place, you'll get a legendary anyways. It's not like there's a limited number of them to be handed out.
    I'm not concerned about getting or not getting a legendary (I think I would feel cheap actually to have something like that). I'm fairly surprised that I'm getting flamed this hard to be honest, when all I'm pointing out that in a competitive (too many mistakes or not enough dps and you are out - reality for people who take raiding "seriously" like me) environment, the people competing should be on an equal playing field.
    Last edited by Pokty; 2011-05-10 at 02:36 PM.

well personally i dont think they should put them in game unless ofc that it was sat in my mailbox on release and a free ride through all the cutscenes and shit with it. Otherwise its pointless.
    P.s anyone know when the whole of my tier 11 set will be buyable with worthless points ive acumilated?