25 man questions.

I haven't raided any Cata content yet, because I stopped playing for a while. When Cata dropped, I leveled and geared up very quickly, and had to wait while old guildmates did the same, so I stopped playing for a period of time. When I came back, people we're already doing HM. I was recently recruited into a guild that is 12/12, and is still going to continue to run 25 man regulars to gear up other players so they can start HM. I, being one of them, will be tanking on my Paladin for their 25 man core. All of these guys have finished all the raid content and know what to expect, I don't. And being the tank, I don't want to mess up.

I've read guides on 25man.com about all of the encounters I'm going to be facing, and I learn very quickly. I have all abilities already memorized and know what to do when they're cast. But some of the videos I've watched of 25 man reg encounters of the same bosses don't match with the strategy 25man.com gives. Some encounters, like Magmaw, shows only using 1 tank on 25man.com, while I watched a Prot Pally PoV video where they're using 2 tanks for it.

I don't know what I'm asking to be honest, but maybe just some advice on this situation?

I know for encounters like Chim I'll be the one taking the stacking debuff, and kiting adds on Maloriak. But what confuses me is the strategies I've read, and the videos I've watched, are completely different.
    Last edited by Supern3rd; 2011-05-10 at 02:53 PM.

Magmaw is possible like that with a decently geared tank, there's no need to overkill by using 2 tanks when you only 'need' one right, give other examples of what's confusing you and i'll try and help you out.

Edit: Felt like i'll explain a bit more, periodically Magmaw uses an ability on his main target called Mangle, this "eats" the tank and puts a debuff on him reducing armor by 50%, now with a not so well geared tank, this can be problematic, but, with a well geared tank, you can still tank him even with said debuff.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...pernerd/simple

That's my armory, btw.

With Omnitron, I also had a question. Tank A starts the pull on the Tron. Tank B waits for the next tron at the statue. Next tron spawns, Tank A's tron puts his shield up, Tank B's tron becomes active. All DPS stop on Tank A's tron and switch to Tank B's. Tank A continues to hold Tron until it becomes inactive, than waits for next tron to spawn. And you continue switching like that, correct?

Also, how are the trash pulls in BWD? Is there any guides on that? Or anything specific I need to do?
    Last edited by Supern3rd; 2011-05-10 at 03:25 PM.

Deleted
    Solotankable normal bosses afaik:

Halfus (depending on drakes)
    V&T
    Council
    Cho'gall
    Al Akir
    Magmaw
    Omnomnomitron
    Chimaeron
    Atramedes

And in heroic, solo tankable bosses afaik:

V&T
    Council
    Al Akir
    Atramedes

10+ Year Old Account
    Correct! Just remember if it's toxitron to keep it away from the majority of the raid

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Supern3rd View Post
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...pernerd/simple

That's my armory, btw.

With Omnitron, I also had a question. Tank A starts the pull on the Tron. Tank B waits for the next tron at the statue. Next tron spawns, Tank A's tron puts his shield up, Tank B's tron becomes active. All DPS stop on Tank A's tron and switch to Tank B's. Tank A continues to hold Tron until it becomes inactive, than waits for next tron to spawn. And you continue switching like that, correct?

Also, how are the trash pulls in BWD? Is there any guides on that? Or anything specific I need to do?
    Every guild does it different, you'll just have to ask yours Nothing special about BWD trash. You need 2 tanks for the 2 mobs before magmaw though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesz View Post
    Correct! Just remember if it's toxitron to keep it away from the majority of the raid
    And don't move the fire tron, correct?

Deleted
    It doesn't matter what guides have you read or what videos have you watched, the only thing matters is what tactic your guild is doing. Read about the encounters, know them, and than ask for details before the fight (or your guild may even have a strategy topic on your forums where everything is summarised for the new recruits).

And don't move the fire tron, correct?
    You can move him wherever you want.

Arcanotron - Try to move as little as possible so interrupters can get to him, move out of power pools.

Electron - Hit him, puts debuff on people that means they need to run away from raid.

Magmatron - Flamethrower targets someone, further the person is away from Magma the less damage it does, don't stand infront of him when he's doing this, does an unavoidable AoE called Incineration Security Measure, useful to keep raidwall for this.

Toxitron, tank him in a far corner away from the raid, spawns poison slimes that target random raid members to follow, don't get hit by one or it hurts. Spawns green clouds on the ground, if tanked in one increases any tron's damage taken by 50%, you can tank the tron's in the clouds while you stand out of them.

There are a couple fights this tier which have variable strategies. While Magmaw is usually tanked with 2 tanks, on normal mode it is possible to single tank it with decent gear. There are other situations like this where you can vary the amount of tanks in order to alleviate healing problems if your dps is good enough to compensate; it's really up to the raid leader to determine and I wouldn't worry about the strat changing much based on these changes. Just have a chat with your raid leader before the raid to ask what specific versions of the boss strategies you will be using. If you're raid leader gives you a hard time for asking a legitimate question like that then you are probably better off moving on to another guild.

As for your omnitron question, one important thing to remember is that the trons' shields only last for a few seconds. When tron A reaches 50 energy tron B will activate and tron A will begin to start a cast that applies his shield. This shield lasts for ~10 seconds. As a tank you should probably limit yourself to only autoattacks or stopping altogether, but once the shield buff wears off you can resume attacking. Once tron C becomes active for the first time tron A will shut down and the fight becomes business as usual. Keep in mind that the trons will keep their aggro table from the last time they were active so you don't have to scramble to pick them up when they reactivate. Once you become comfortable with the fight you can try to position the trons you are tanking so that they are in the poison clouds (extra damage taken) or near a power generator puddle (melee benefit from buff).

The normal mode fights are all pretty easy so I wouldn't sweat it too much. There are multiple strats out there but they don't typically vary from the "norm" too much and your raid leader should be able to clear up any ambiguities. If you know your class and how to play the fights will be a breeze.

DO NOT auto attack at all while the shield is up, it'll end up killing you or your raid. Ok wiping you is an extreme case, but still, don't make your healers job harder than it needs to be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oggyowl View Post
    Solotankable normal bosses afaik:

Halfus (depending on drakes)
    V&T
    Council
    Cho'gall
    Al Akir
    Magmaw
    Omnomnomitron
    Chimaeron
    Atramedes

And in heroic, solo tankable bosses afaik:

V&T
    Council
    Al Akir
    Atramedes

Maloriak is solo tankable in normal aswell. Did it last week with alts without any issues.
    Chimaeron is also solo tankable in heroic if you have a block capped tank and rotate cds nicely during feud.

In regards to your character -

- Reforge boots Parry > Dodge
    - Reforge weapon Parry > Mastery instead of Dodge > Mastery
    - Unforge(?) your neck
    - Put Austere Shadowspirit Diamind in your helm
    - With the 20sec CD on WoG now I wouldn't suggest going for that spec now, try out, http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lent/secondary
    - Glyphs as you know are easily changeable now, change them as per fight, e.g. single target fights use the CS Prime glyph instead of Hammer, and fights without adds to pick up use Focused shield instead of Ascetic crusader, I wouldn't use this glyph anyway tbh as mana isn't really an issue.

---------- Post added 2011-05-10 at 05:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Maloriak is solo tankable in normal aswell. Did it last week with alts without any issues.
    Chimaeron is also solo tankable in heroic if you have a block capped tank and rotate cds nicely during feud.
    Chimaeron solo tankable on heroic? Proof please? In the form of a log or a video.

From what I've read, the fights seem easy as hell with simple mechanics. I think I'm more nervous of messing up for these guys than anything. Me being the new tank 0/12 and them being the core 12/12.

So basically what you guys are saying is there's nothing to worry about it and fairly simple if I know how to play my class and know abilities.

Misleading title. I thought you had 25 questions about men.

OT: I've never heard of that site. I would suggest tankspot.com
    mmo-champion should contract with Kleenex and Tampax for advertising. This place is a gold mine.

Deleted
    Tankings tips for normal shit:

BWD:
    Magmaw
    MT: when you get picked up wait 5 seconds then taunt and do some ranged abilities like exorcism, jugdement or avengers shield.
    OT: Just aoe the parasites, its quite lol.

ODS:
    Don't hit the bosses when they have their shield up (check debuffs), drag the bosses into the poison, but don't stand in the poison yourself. Make sure the bosses are not standing in any of the dark pools.

Maloriak:
    MT: P1 is faceroll easy to tank, pop cds in red phase and drag boss out when he jumps doing green phase. In p2 when he does magmaw jets strafe slighty left/right, try not to make the fire beam cross the middle.
    OT: Kite the adds around frost trap, pick up with ranged abilities, pop a cd in green phase.

Atramedes:
    1 tank, movement depends on tactics. But you will want to avoid the rings as much as possible. Pop DG right before searing flame.

Chimeaon:
    MT: Tank as normal, whenever he gains the double attack debuff go idle till it hits the other tank and then taunt.
    OT: Taunt whenever he gains the double attack debuff and if you're low pop a cd.
    Pop LoH on yourself right before p2 at 20%.

Nef:
    P1:
    Onyxia tank: Drag onyxia to the side of room, whenever he gets an animation with some lights under his wings turn him so his tail is in the raid.
    Nef: Drag far enough away from onyxia so he loses the debuff, generally you will want to goto the outer circle before u turn him. Just tank and spank.
    Kiting tank: If you use one of these, just pick up all the adds and stack them somewhere in the outer circle.
    P3:
    Nef: Tank nef in the middle, make sure the kiting tank is always on the side of the boss so he doesn't get hit by the tail or breath. The raid should be between the kiter and nef, so flip and turn so it fits what the kiter is doing.
    Kiting tank: Pick up adds, drag to the outer circle, slowly kite in a circular motion around the room, don't stun/cc them unless you're sure it won't affect their ability to avoid the fire balls.

BoT:
    Halfus:
    3 tanks?
    If you have the MS guy up just rotate tanks or bubble/hop them off, otherwise just tank one each. Avoid standing in fire and set focus on boss so u can focus rebuke.

V&T:
    Drag boss down the stairs, flip him so you're standing on top of the stairs. Tank and spank, pop DG for a black out. Avoid dazzling as the other dragon lands and drag him to the middle. Watch where the other dragon breaths and move the dragon acccordingly. Repeat from start when the other dragon lands.

AC:
    2 tanks
    P1:
    Right guy: Avoid glaciate, interrupt, save ur Avengers Shield if you don't have threat issues for interrupts on glaciate.
    Left guy: Don't stand in fire, point pillar away from raid. Pop DG doing the 1st "shield" thingy and try to interrupt once it fades.

P2:
    Left guy(?): Get correct debuff (air first), tank, spank and interrupt, pop cd if he jumps and starts casting and u cant interrupt if you're not already full health.
    Right guy(?) Avoid the spiky things, get correct debuff, and tank towards the middle of the room, also try to interrupt harden skin.

P3: Get boss out of the middle quickly then drag him around the room so the blue pools don't increase in size. Try to HoP on people targetted by gravity.

Cho'gall.
    OT: Tank boss at start, when adds spawns pick up and drag to desinated positon, kill and try to interrupt them as much as possible. When adds are dead go back and taunt the boss. Try to use minor cooldowns when he spews fire. Use avengers shield to interrupt mind controls. P2 you taunt right before every fury.
    MT: Taunt when he does the beams, interrupt mind controls with avengers shield, avoid crashes and use minor cooldowns when he spew fire. Tank boss on throne or in the wall in p2. Taunt back when the fury (beams) have hit.

Throne:
    Nature guy: Tank boss, when he does his green animation thingy run to a different spot. Pick up adds and kill. Don't tank in the middle.
    Frost guy: Tank boss around the edges, get out of frost patches quickly (use hand of freedom). Pop bubble on 2nd ultimate and it's just tank and spank pretty much.

Al'Akir:
    P1. Avoid tornados, use hand of freedom to cross ice patches, make sure ur in range when he does wind burst.
    P2. Avoid tornados, if you tanking adds dont stand close to others. Make sure they die in the right order and with good timing
    P3. Follow everyone else and move out if u get lighthing conductor.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2011-05-10 at 05:27 PM.

In reference to the above, when you get picked up by magmaw, forget ranged abilities, hit tab and you can target his exposed head, do damage on it. Either that, or Hand of Protection yourself to relieve the healing you will require.

you guys have all been awesome help, tyvm.

you guys have all been awesome help, tyvm.
    Glad we could help Any other questions you can feel free to PM me as I may not look at this thread again.