Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrayne View Post
    No no no it won't duplicate EVERY spell so it will either: have a super low proc chance (not likely but this would favor arcane mages) or a 100% proc chance with a 30/45 sec internal cool down. So it will not favor any class over another by a large amount with information that is currently known.

If it procced off of DoTs or application of dot it would extremly favor Spriests/locks etc because of the DPET of DoTs versus hard hitter DD spells is much higher.
    IE: complete unbuffed/no procs/ES/anything :

No crits at all
    MB: 12k
    VT: 26k

That was a single cast of each with no crits at all to skew the data. VT is a much better spell to duplicate in this example.
    You forgot to mention the overall most balanced way of letting the proc work in PvE content, simply by not giving it an ICD and let it duplicate DoT ticks.

If it procced off of DoTs or application of dot it would extremly favor Spriests/locks etc because of the DPET of DoTs versus hard hitter DD spells is much higher.
    Which might, in part, explain why spriest DOTs have been nerfed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoddie View Post
    Which might, in part, explain why spriest DOTs have been nerfed.
    No way. They don't balance a class around a weapon. The problem was Spriests getting huge numbers in new fights that were more prone to multidotting (they chose to "fix" it in a poor manner)

Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    You forgot to mention the overall most balanced way of letting the proc work in PvE content, simply by not giving it an ICD and let it duplicate DoT ticks.
    It could do a Dancing Rune Weapon style and actually have a second DoT ticking for the duration (as Arcane Damage).
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    It could do a Dancing Rune Weapon style and actually have a second DoT ticking for the duration (as Arcane Damage).
    At first when I saw the legendary proc I was like - meh...not working for spriests. This is coming from the idea that you cannot duplicate dots and have for exampel a second VT rolling. If they change this and we can actually put more dots it would be awsm! More dots. Having the extra dot ticking for arcane damage is a pretty neat idea. I would lvoe to see how this staff evolves. I am never going to get it since we already decided who's getting prio over it. Damn mages!

Deleted
    With all this nice ideas around i really can´t wait to someone on the PTR can test this, a fallow shadow i hope!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    If this is the case, and they do it DRW style, here's the big question, does it take into account self buffs that are directly a % increase in damage for a particulargroup of spells (Shadow Orbs, Eclipse and Arcane Blast stacks) when calculating its damage or will it "snapshot" your stats (hit/int[SP]/crit/haste) like the current DRW does and deal the damage based off that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasttey View Post
    If this is the case, and they do it DRW style, here's the big question, does it take into account self buffs that are directly a % increase in damage for a particulargroup of spells (Shadow Orbs, Eclipse and Arcane Blast stacks) when calculating its damage or will it "snapshot" your stats (hit/int[SP]/crit/haste) like the current DRW does and deal the damage based off that?
    Either way we shouldn't care because we have no control over a proc so there would be no way to w8 for proc and then apply scenario

10+ Year Old Account
    No way. They don't balance a class around a weapon. The problem was Spriests getting huge numbers in new fights that were more prone to multidotting (they chose to "fix" it in a poor manner)
    They balanced us around a spell that wasn't even ours, them balancing us around a legendary, not that surprising.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    Either way we shouldn't care because we have no control over a proc so there would be no way to w8 for proc and then apply scenario
    You can view ICD's, and then possibly delay casts to coincide with them.

There's a mod called "Proculas" that is designed to do just that. It tracks procs and lets you know when the ICD is up. If the staff has a high proc rate it would be relatively easy to control which spell the proc uses. If it duplicates the entire spell, you'd probably want to start spamming the Devouring Plague spell until you get a proc, then resume your rotation.

If however it only duplicates direct damage, I would assume the most likely candidates would be Mind Blast, Improved Devouring Plague, and Shadow Word: Death. The small damage spike from IDP would be the only one you wouldn't want it proccing off of. And again that isn't very hard to control.

The "worst case scenerio" would be if it just randomly doubled any tick of our dots a single time. The proc would be horrible for spriests if that's the case. And classes like Warlocks would actually want to spec out of Affliction if they got the staff, to increase the chances of it proccing off of a better direct damage spell.

We'll just have to wait and see at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilee25 View Post
    There's a mod called "Proculas" that is designed to do just that. It tracks procs and lets you know when the ICD is up. If the staff has a high proc rate it would be relatively easy to control which spell the proc uses. If it duplicates the entire spell, you'd probably want to start spamming the Devouring Plague spell until you get a proc, then resume your rotation.

If however it only duplicates direct damage, I would assume the most likely candidates would be Mind Blast, Improved Devouring Plague, and Shadow Word: Death. The small damage spike from IDP would be the only one you wouldn't want it proccing off of. And again that isn't very hard to control.

The "worst case scenerio" would be if it just randomly doubled any tick of our dots a single time. The proc would be horrible for spriests if that's the case. And classes like Warlocks would actually want to spec out of Affliction if they got the staff, to increase the chances of it proccing off of a better direct damage spell.

We'll just have to wait and see at this point.
    Not true. If the proc was simply random with no icd it would be equal for every caster and only normalized to dps. Extra procs from fast dot ticks would even out with bigger procs from ab and whatnot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesp View Post
    Not true. If the proc was simply random with no icd it would be equal for every caster and only normalized to dps. Extra procs from fast dot ticks would even out with bigger procs from ab and whatnot.
    if
    That's exactly the problem. All this is atm is "what if" - we have no idea how it'll work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    They balanced us around a spell that wasn't even ours, them balancing us around a legendary, not that surprising.
    You are much more likely to have a warlock than a legendary, but I do see your logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    However it could devalue it for certain classes compared to others. If it didn't account for these "spell specific damage modifying buffs" then specs that rely on them for respectable damage output would see a lower increase in dps vs. specs that don't rely on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by Priestlyone View Post
    That's exactly the problem. All this is atm is "what if" - we have no idea how it'll work.
    You're right, we have no idea how it will work. But the point of the post was to correct the thought that a random proc with no icd would be bad for dot classes when in reality that would make the proc balanced for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read a blue post (http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1...-weapons-scale) that said it is on use ability but I couldn't find any more about it. Anyone read anything about this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I read a blue post (http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1...-weapons-scale) that said it is on use ability but I couldn't find any more about it. Anyone read anything about this?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    The great staff duplicates destructive magics, and also bestows upon its wielder the ability to transform into a member of the Blue Dragonflight.
    Chances are, the on use ability is a Blue Dragon shapeshift.