Int worth going under hit cap?

I recently Mr. Robot'd myself. I am currently at 17.08% hit or something like that. With different gems and enchants Mr. Robot says I can gain about 180 int, but I would be under hit cap by 1.5%. I currently play affliction, and missing a haunt is devestating for DPS. Is regemming and re-enchanting specifically for Int over hit if I go under hit cap worth it?

Tl:dr Tradeoff 180Int for 1.5% under hit cap, worth it?

You could armory shadocaster on US-Mannoroth but I think I logged out in PVP gear.

Int > Hit

Now you tell me if it's worth it :P

Absolutely worth it. Myself (destro) and the other Lock (Affliction) in our raids run around 13-14% unbuffed hit,

"Moosecrawler promised me a ghost!"

it depends, for raids its recomended to be hit capped, but its a game do whatever is fun. if being 1.5% under hit capped an having 180 more int is fun, do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duts View Post
    Absolutely worth it. Myself (destro) and the other Lock (Affliction) in our raids run around 13-14% unbuffed hit,
    But do you feel it would be a DPS increase if you were at the hit cap?

Quote Originally Posted by Sternrage View Post
    it depends, for raids its recomended to be hit capped, but its a game do whatever is fun. if being 1.5% under hit capped an having 180 more int is fun, do it.
    I think min-maxing is fun. I am excited to get home to try it and then hit a dummy for a bit or simcraft it. But is it worth it?

Deleted
    You sohuld always try to maximize the amount of Int you can get. All primary stats top all secondary stats all of the time.

While hit-capping is recommended, it shouldn't be at the cost of Int. Try sacrificing other seconday stats to hit-cap rather than Int.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    You sohuld always try to maximize the amount of Int you can get. All primary stats top all secondary stats all of the time.

While hit-capping is recommended, it shouldn't be at the cost of Int. Try sacrificing other seconday stats to hit-cap rather than Int.
    this ^^^^^^^^^^ i would be giving up hit for haste if i wanted to lose hit. At this point there is no way for me to get more int by giving up hit and thats how i have geared since day one of this tier.

simcraft has hit above everything else apart from int

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post

I cannot hit cap with my current gear itemization without sacrificing gem slots and enchants and thus, sacrificing int. Basically to confirm: Hit cap is NOT CRUCIAL even as affliction? I will try it out at tonights raid and see what goes down.

It's kind of a personal preference, Int will certainly sim over hit but that doesn't necessarily make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    It's kind of a personal preference, Int will certainly sim over hit but that doesn't necessarily make it better.
    I just hope ovale updates properly if I miss a dot application :<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadocaster View Post
    I cannot hit cap with my current gear itemization without sacrificing gem slots and enchants and thus, sacrificing int. Basically to confirm: Hit cap is NOT CRUCIAL even as affliction? I will try it out at tonights raid and see what goes down.
    You don't give up int for hit at all, if your giving up haste crit of mastery for hit thats fine.

The downside to not being hit capped as affliction is you couild mess up your rotation by not noticing that you missed on a spell like UA or haunt etc. If like me and you can't be bothered with having to pay attention to that, then hit cap your self.

Thats what ultimately led me to being hit capped + if you gear accordingly you should have no issues getting hit capped.

Being under hit cap isn't make or break like it used to be in Wrath. I sit at 15.5% hit as aff and demo and it's a DPS increase for me Vs having to gem/enchant hit over int.

Hit is only better than secondary stats, not primary stat..IE: Int.

Do sims and see for yourself. However if your personal preferance is to hit cap, then by all means do so. ou will however be giving up int and thus spell power to achieve that which is sub optimal. Unless however your in or near BiS 372 gear, then you will be just shy of hit cap anyways, due to more stats to reforge and more natural hit on the gear, and wouldn't be asking the question.

I think there is a post on these forums somewhere about the pros/cons of hit capping vs int stacking. Either here or Elitist Jerks.

Just follow the simple rules of gemming.
    Never gem for secondary stats, unless the socket bonus makes up for it. <- For most dps classes this means don't take socket bonus if it's not 20of your main dps stat like 20str/int/agi.
    Now ofc there's exceptions for some to reach haste softcaps for 1 more tic of dots etc which would go over int. But overall if you cant reach hitcap with reforge only try finding items with more hit on them. Also if a slot has a pure enchant, (gloves, wrist and chest mainly) don't get hit there. Treat pure stat (agi, int and str) like the only choice, yeah you have a slim chance to miss and that miss will hurt but you really should be able to get to the hitcap with reforging alone if you're half decently geared.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    Just follow the simple rules of gemming.
    Never gem for secondary stats, unless the socket bonus makes up for it. <- For most dps classes this means don't take socket bonus if it's not 20of your main dps stat like 20str/int/agi.
    I don't get it why everyone thinks the socket bonus should be 20 int before you should gem something else than pure int. 10 int is more than enough for blue socket and even 10 hit makes it worth gemming 20 int 20 hit under hit cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoiledkid View Post
    I don't get it why everyone thinks the socket bonus should be 20 int before you should gem something else than pure int. 10 int is more than enough for blue socket and even 10 hit makes it worth gemming 20 int 20 hit under hit cap.
    It's not a matter of what we think; it's been mathematically proven that Intellect is such a far superior stat to any secondary stat (Hit, Haste, Crit, Mastery) that unless you would gain 20 intellect for every off-color gem you place in a socket, it's a DPS loss.

It doesn't matter if you're under hit cap or not. Most caster DPS classes stat priority is something resembling Intellect>Hit to 17%>Haste/Crit/Mastery(order varies). Hit is, for most of us, the most powerful secondary stat we can have. Note what I said: secondary stat. Intellect is a primary stat. Its weight is so much that even under hit cap, taking a 20int/20hit gem int a blue socket to pick up a 10 int bonus is an overall DPS loss because 10 int is STILL more valuable than 20 of ANY secondary stat.

Again, it's been mathematically proven and you can find said proof at the ElitistJerks or other guide for your class/spec. Anyone worth their salt will have the math somewhere available that proves it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sternrage View Post
    You know, I am sure some elitist somewhere just rolled a toon on your server JUST so they could ignore you haha, and his/her reason?
    'Your $15 says play how you like, the rest of the raid's $360 says know your role'
    (yes, that guy IS a dick)
    I see value in both statments, but I suspect his guild's $360 wins over your $15, unless you want to be replaced.
    (see? told you he's a dick)
    Not my thing, but it's out there.
    If you get a string of misses, you are gonna take some flak for low dps. You might get lucky and not miss? Then you might be praised for higher dps.
    Roll those dice, see what happens?
    No matter what, come back and let us knw how it went plz, I am eager to see how it works out.
    Last edited by Bigbamboozal; 2011-05-11 at 05:34 AM.

It's just not as easy as "int > hit, so take int".
    According to the 4.1 scale factors, the most extreme difference between hit and int is in affliction spec (hit=1.6985 dps, int 3.1694= dps, taken from the EJ simcraft thread, first post). This means that gemming 20 int + 20 hit instead of 40 int (and that's about the only choice you'll ever have of switching int to hit) loses roughly 30 dps. Now really, is that a lot? It isn't. Even if the simulation would be 100% correct, it does not take your reaction time into account, meaning a miss will cause more dps-loss than the simulation says (E.g. the simulation would cast UA directly after an UA missed while that is simply impossible to do for a real player as you will already be casting something else even if you realize the miss immediately and so on). So when reforging your secondary stats to hit and still ending up with 16.5% instead of 17%, think about it twice: Is a theoretical +100 dps worth the small chance of missing that Curse of the Elements without noticing for a whole minute? For me, the answer is clear: No, it isn't worth taking the risk. I can easily get the 100 dps back in from playing better than the last try, but it would cost me a lot of attention to permanently check whether my spells actually hit or didn't, attention that is definitely needed for other stuff like running out of the fire.
    Proud author of the totally outdated WotLK Affli Thread

^If you have a good dot timer (FortExorcist is excellent) it's very easy to notice a missed spell. Just sayin'.

Int is better than Hit, even if you're not hit capped. I run around 15-16% depending on what upgrade I just got. Hit cap is good, but not required in raids now. It was required in BC/Wrath/etc because Hit was the best stat, so it made no sense to not get hit capped. Now it's not the best stat. You just want as much hit as possible without sacrificing Int.
    BigCrits.com - real people conquering a virtual world!