Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    that's actually what i expect to happen. well, ppl on the ptr should be able to clarify the current situation.

Deleted
    I severely doubt smite/holy fire will also be given the crit boost too as then they'd have to give the bonus to ALL casters/hybrid classes to compensate, regardless of their spec.

true true, im afraid.
    Allthough, giving priests damage spell the 100% crit bonus wouldn't change anything.
    Theres no specc, that relys on Smite/HF as dmg spells. theres only the shadow specc, that has 100% crit bonus on everything (appart from instatn DP dmg or so, not sure)
    but i doubt, they will update the crit bonus to one class, they will of course do that in some patch in the future

Given the way Atonement is implemented in the game right now as separate non-crit and crit spells, Blizzard could easily keep 150% damage crits and go to 200% healing crits simply by adding an extra 133% multiplier onto the crit-Atonement spell. I shudder to think what that would do to the tooltip, but implementation would not be challenging.

Or simply add an additional 50% crit damage bonus for smite/hf in the atonement talent. It would fit the tree thematically just fine.

Allowing Smite/HF to crit at 200% could induce PvP imbalance. I'm not saying it would be a problem - the closest I've come to PvPing is getting my 100 HK achievement, so I have NO idea - but it would require investigation. Changing the multiplier on crit-Atonement has no such side effects.

Honestly, I think the best fix would be to simply make all damage spells crit for 200% base. DPS specs are poor healers because of talents, not because of some weird stat scaling on their healing spells. I see no reason why weird scaling of crits would be necessary to prevent healers from competing with DPS specs.

Deleted
    200% crits on hf/smite wouldn't be a problem at all in pvp. In fact if you're brave enough to risk getting your heals locked by using them for dps then you deserve a reward imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruen View Post
    I severely doubt smite/holy fire will also be given the crit boost too as then they'd have to give the bonus to ALL casters/hybrid classes to compensate, regardless of their spec.
    who ever talked about giving 200% crits to smite/HF ? barely wondered if atonement heal crits would heal for 200% normal value, that's about it.

anyone on ptr tested it btw?

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    who ever talked about giving 200% crits to smite/HF ? barely wondered if atonement heal crits would heal for 200% normal value, that's about it.

anyone on ptr tested it btw?
    Technically if its a heal it should crit for 200%, weather that is going to be applied right away is unknown.

OT: I don't see crit being valued any higher because of this. Sure your heals have gotten stronger when they crit and PoH/divine aegis combo also became stronger. However it is still a chance to crit. Are crit chance did not increase; its still rng dependent and not consistent. A combo of HST/MST should still perform better then a lucky streak in a raid healing situation especially during aoe phases. (chogall and the new spider boss come to mind).
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the tooltip for Atonement did change.:
    Atonement now heals for "a percentage of the damage dealt" instead of 100%. (Wording change?)
    So couldn't the heal portion gain from the 200% crit while the damage portion remains as is since it's no longer constrained to the 1:1 damage:heal (before modifiers) calculation?

Atonement does heal for 200% on PTR. The damage bonus is still 50%. So if your base smite damage is 10k, a crit smite will do 15k damage and heal for 20k.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuga View Post
    Atonement does heal for 200% on PTR. The damage bonus is still 50%. So if your base smite damage is 10k, a crit smite will do 15k damage and heal for 20k.
    now that's what i wanted to hear

I almost am suspecting them to nerf it.... almost.

Right now, a Disc priest's critting GHeal provides a 25-30k DA. (Variance due to SP and mastery). If you GH followed by a string of penances that crit... you'll see 50k DAs. The 200% crit bonus is great for all healers, but this is going to be a huge boon for Disc healing... especially Disc Tank Healing.

Here's a screenshot of a GH followed by a Penance streak. (Only SP boosts I have are Inner Fire and a Flask) The temporary buffs you see are just spirit ones not SP.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyTheRetard View Post
    Given the way Atonement is implemented in the game right now as separate non-crit and crit spells, Blizzard could easily keep 150% damage crits and go to 200% healing crits simply by adding an extra 133% multiplier onto the crit-Atonement spell. I shudder to think what that would do to the tooltip, but implementation would not be challenging.
    This is the first thing I checked when the PTR first came online, and it is in fact exactly what they implemented.

If Holy Fire or Smite hit critical they deal 150% of the uncritical damage and Atonement heals for 200% of what it would have done if the hit was noncritical.
    The toolip was changed to percentage of damage dealt instead of 100% - which can in fact mean 100% of hits and 133% of crits.

Without this change I'm sure Atonement would take a great hit in viability so I exspected something to be done.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2011-05-23 at 11:49 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derevka View Post

Right now, a Disc priest's critting GHeal provides a 25-30k DA. (Variance due to SP and mastery). If you GH followed by a string of penances that crit... you'll see 50k DAs. The 200% crit bonus is great for all healers, but this is going to be a huge boon for Disc healing... especially Disc Tank Healing.

Here's a screenshot of a GH followed by a Penance streak. (Only SP boosts I have are Inner Fire and a Flask) The temporary buffs you see are just spirit ones not SP.
    I don't think that's a huge deal - I quite often have 20-30k DAs in 4.1, if they want big crits then big DAs are part of that. They're still capped by your HP so you won't be stacking up 100k+ DAs.

shamans and druids also have some kind of healing bonuses worth of 30% of crit heals, so its not just disc priests getting more from crit change (sorry, dunno about palas! )

@Ferin

Yes DA is able to get capped, but you'll be able to put "big and capped DAs" up easier and faster-- even if you "cap", which as of now is really only possible on one fight on the ptr due to the boss mechanics and buffs given out to players. With standard play, not just Stormwind self spamming to see how big a DA you can get, being able to buff the tank with substantial DAs is playing into our favor.

Dismissing it as "big deal I can do that now" seems very short-sighted. In 2 casts getting 50k mitigation is nothing to scoff at.

Deleted
    @Ferin

Yes DA is able to get capped, but you'll be able to put "big and capped DAs" up easier and faster-- even if you "cap", which as of now is really only possible on one fight on the ptr due to the boss mechanics and buffs given out to players. With standard play, not just Stormwind self spamming to see how big a DA you can get, being able to buff the tank with substantial DAs is playing into our favor.

Dismissing it as "big deal I can do that now" seems very short-sighted. In 2 casts getting 50k mitigation is nothing to scoff at.
    Why is DA a special case though? All heals are getting buffed on crit by this change, DA also gets buffed by the same amount, it's not really more of a buff for us than any other healer.
    Ok so we can get large DAs procced, but other healers can just get bigger straight up heals with this, should they be nerfed too?

Its because of the mechanic of DA, because its a shield
    Shields have a much higher chance to actually "heal" rather then the crit itself, thats why its a big buff for disc (as tankhealer)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferin View Post
    Why is DA a special case though? All heals are getting buffed on crit by this change, DA also gets buffed by the same amount, it's not really more of a buff for us than any other healer.
    Ok so we can get large DAs procced, but other healers can just get bigger straight up heals with this, should they be nerfed too?
    200% + DA does seem a bit unbalanced since it basically makes your crits heal for around 280%. This is better scaling than haste, even after accounting for the difference in stat costs, and uses less mana in the process. It is more prone to overheal, I guess. Shaman AA also seems rather broken with 200% crits for the same reason, plus they get smarthealing off it instead of a shield which may or may not be consumed. I don't think living seed is so much of a problem because (1) it doesn't proc from hots and (2) it doesn't stack.