Thread: Viruses

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Viruses

Okay guys call me stupid, but have been without virus protection for a little while now, and I think it's starting to have some effects, I have google'd some of the things that came up while using Spybot S&D. I have some viruses, how can you help me, I will most likely buy some protection soon, but is there a free fix to be found?

Quote Originally Posted by Typhen View Post
    Okay guys call me stupid, but have been without virus protection for a little while now, and I think it's starting to have some effects, I have google'd some of the things that came up while using Spybot S&D. I have some viruses, how can you help me, I will most likely buy some protection soon, but is there a free fix to be found?
    AVG antivirus and firewall
    windows defender
    microsoft security suite
    norton has a joke anitivirus for free

10+ Year Old Account
    When I have some serious issues that avast doesn't catch I use combofix.
    http://majorgeeks.com/Combofix_d6402.html

Avast is free by the way and it's a great anti virus.
    http://www.avast.com/index

Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials are good free anti virus

I have the following and it's been fantastic. All free too.

Avast
    Glary utilities
    Malwarebytes
    CCleaner
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwntatoes View Post
    I told my friend I was going to McDonalds, but I actually went to Burger King. Kind of rude, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by synthetikv View Post
    Bring her some ribbon candy and worthers original. Old Bitches love ribbon candy and worthers original.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulthor View Post
    Avast is free by the way and it's a great anti virus.
    http://www.avast.com/index
    This^

Also, MalwareBytes is pretty good for getting rid of viruses.

Endpoint AV security is easily bypassed and disabled by all modern viruses and malware. Your best bet is to strengthen to security of your browser, Firefox + noscript + adblockplus w/ malware domains list + always http addons. As you currently are infected, programs like HijackThis, Combofix, Malware Bytes are great and can remove some non MBR rootkits, malware and less complex viruses. Installing endpoint AV over a already infected system is pointless as the malware will usually disable the AV and make it appear that the AV is working fine. Your best bet in all honesty is to do a full wipe with something like DBAN, google it, reinstall your os, programs etc, BEFORE you do this patch your system to its full extent, stay away from browsing untill AV protection, Browser strengthening and I suggest reading up on SEO, malware and the techniques used these days, krebsonsecurity.com is a great blog. Basically nowhere is safe on the web anymore, we have msn.com serving up Fake-av malware some days through hacked advertising engines and google ad's scripts being used to redirect folks to copies of Zeus(banking botnet), with this educating yourself on the major attack vectors for home users (web browser add-ons, java, flash and PDF exploits)just walk softly and carry a big stick. Forgive any grammatical errors or nonsensical statements i will fix them when i get my coffee fix.

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    While I'm by no means a security expert, I put this (or MalwareBytes) on all the computers that come to me with a virus related problem. They're both free, and they're both stellar anti-viruses. That being said, detro gives some good advice in the post above mine.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    While I'm by no means a security expert, I put this (or MalwareBytes) on all the computers that come to me with a virus related problem. They're both free, and they're both stellar anti-viruses. That being said, detro gives some good advice in the post above mine.
    I also use both of those

Viri*

Also, I use Microsofts one, to my great surprise - and it's actually quite good!

10+ Year Old Account
    clean it off with malwarebytes, super antispyware, and/or combofix. then download a free antivirus (avast)

Deleted
    Currently scanning with AVG, Avast and Windows defender, so if the viruses pop on them which they should will these programs actually remove them or just tell me they're there?

if your computer is infected it is not enough to run scanners.
    You should use a rescue-cd to boot from and scan your drives with it.

http://www.avira.com/en/support-down...-rescue-system
    --
    The cataclysm broke the world ... and the pandas could not fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Viri*

Also, I use Microsofts one, to my great surprise - and it's actually quite good!
    Virii actually
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Virii actually
    Tomato, potato! ^^ You are correct, though.
    Ish. Afaik, it's actually "virus" in plural as well - but if people say viruses and bonuses, I will say bonii and virii.

WOW! Another one of these threads.
    Go for Microsoft Security Essentials, that should solve your problem

Good Luck!

http://www.av-test.org/certification...n_desc&lang=en

According to this independent reviewer MS Security Essentials is crap, even worse than McAfee, which has been a running joke amongst my friends for 10 years. They only tested a couple free antivirus packages, but the results of the free versions should mirror the order the paid versions are in I'd think, which puts BitDefender solidly at the top.
    Last edited by Nellah; 2011-05-11 at 10:57 PM.
    Super casual.

Deleted
    Avast Free Anti Virus.
    Spybot search and destroy.
    CCLeaner.
    Windows Firewall.

This is all you really need on a gaming PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    Avast Free Anti Virus.
    Spybot search and destroy.
    CCLeaner.
    Windows Firewall.

This is all you really need on a gaming PC.
    This and MalwareBytes for the win.
    Super casual.

Deleted
    I would recommend 3 antivirus programs: Microsoft Security Essentials (free), TrustPort (paid), Coranti (paid).

I personally use TrustPort at work (I dread to think what my colleagues have on their USB sticks), and I use MSE at home.

Also using a safe browser with ad blocking and script blockers etc, while not being an idiot and clicking on stupid links on facebook helps.