Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

How do I prevent kids from playing in my yard?

So I don't mind kids. I like kids.
    But recently we had some new neighbors move in next door, and these kids are the most disrespectful, obnoxious brats I have ever met. The first day they arrived, the first thing they did was come into my yard and beat on the tree right next to my house for a solid hour with sticks. Why they were doing this, I do not know. But during this time, my dog would NOT stop barking because there were people in my yard. He didn't stop until they went back to their yard. And I figured that I wouldn't say anything since they just moved in and all, and I didn't want to seem like the mean, grumpy neighbor. I figured that they were just excited and getting used to the neighborhood and whatnot.

But... they persisted. They continue to play in my yard and make a lot of noise, and yes, my dog barks at them. I've told their parents that since it's such a small community and our properties are rather small, their children being loud, which in turn causes my dog to be loud, causes a pretty moderate disturbance to everybody living nearby, but they really haven't bothered to do anything about it.

I feel really mean for being such a stick in the mud when some kids are just trying to have fun, but they don't listen. They don't have any regard for anybody in the neighborhood, and they mess with various things on my property that I'd rather they didn't mess with.

I'd hate to have to report them to the front office (it's a townhouse type neighborhood, and creating neighborhood disturbances is against their terms,) but I just don't know what else to do. Has anybody ever had this problem before? What did you do about it?

Deleted
    To the townhouse it is!

Deleted
    How old are these kids?
    Maybe you can actually talk to THEM and not the parents.

If not, you can always get a cane, and walk towards them slowly, swinging the cane while yelling "GET OFF MAH LAWN, YOU BRATS!"

1. chain link fence
    2. empty bottles of bleach in the yard
    3. leave bones around if you got em
    4. if not find some bones (there are usually some inside kids b.t.w.) and then go to step 3
    twenty-four hour skeleton power

Deleted
    I don't really have an solution but you shouldn't feel bad. You aren't doing anything wrong, the parents are. It is the parents job to not only learn the kids to have respect for other people property but also for not taking action when it is requested. You can't really blame the kids since they don't know they are doing something that wrong..(well kids often know and do it for fun, but theres wrong and WRONG).

Warn the parents 1 last time...than go to the front office.

Quote Originally Posted by Ookami-San View Post
    How old are these kids?

If not, you can always get a cane, and walk towards them slowly, swinging the cane while yelling "GET OFF MAH LAWN, YOU BRATS!"

No, you should never talk to the kids without the parents knowing off it...it's not his job to teach those kids the rules.
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2011-05-11 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ookami-San View Post
    How old are these kids?

There are two of them that are probably around 4 or 5. The oldest one has to be at least 8 though, so maybe I could try that. If not, at least that's a good backup plan right there, haha.

You could always kill them.

Deleted
    call the party van.

Deleted
    Get off my lawn!

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a gun and spray air shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

You got a water hose? Soak them down good. If the 'parents' complain, give them the old "oh sorry, didn't see them, wasn't expecting to see kids in my yard" routine.

Eventually, they'll get the idea.

Walk your dog on their yard. You just watch how quick their parents get pissed and give them grief to stay away from you.

Or just report it and have done with it. Sounds like there's little gonna be done but escalations on both sides. Just grass em up and have done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I don't really have an solution but you shouldn't feel bad. You aren't doing anything wrong, the parents are. It is the parents job to not only learn the kids to have respect for other people property but also for not taking action when it is requested. You can't really blame the kids since they don't know they are doing something that wrong..(well kids often know and do it for fun, but theres wrong and WRONG).

Warn the parents 1 last time...than go to the front office.
    Yeah, I know it isn't the kids' fault. And I suppose they do need to be taught that at some point, and now would be a great time for that. I should probably try to be more stern with the parents, since they aren't taking me seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by a random troll View Post
    Get off my lawn!

troll ur neighbourhood for a sign on someones lawn saying their lawn was sprayed, steal it and put it on your lawn...
    talk to the parents and over emphasize how much u love kids and their soft pink skin and tell em how cute and adorable u think they are, also throw in that you keep a lot of ice cream in your basement freezer and that theyre free to come by any time! (works better if your single)
    the CREEPIER the better, mb they'll end up moving lol

*shrug* if the eldest is 8, it might not hurt to try talking to them.... just for safety's sake, make sure you do it in the open. I am not accusing you of anything, but parents can get very touchy about other people yelling at their children... and even if you aren't yelling, there is every chance it will be perceived that way.

Not telling you to avoid talking to the kids, since if the parents won't listen it's probably your best shot of resolving the situation without going to the townhouse. I'm just suggesting that you take care not to create even the appearance of anything inappropriate when you do so.

(I don't know the rules and regulations of your neighborhood, of course, but I also imagine it would help a lot if when you went to the townhouse you could say that you've already tried talking to them about this, and tried to resolve it peacefully. Taking down dates/times of some of the disturbances could also prove useful... I work in security myself, and I know my clients are much more likely to actually fix problems if I give them an exact detailing of what and when a problem occurred, rather than a vague report that "something happened").

Edit: Being more stern with the parents is also not a bad idea; not only could it help get more results, but if it fails, then when you go to the townhouse you have that much more reason to complain. It will make them seem like people who don't care what effect they and their family have on the neighborhood (and even if that's not true, it'll prompt a quicker reaction).

Put a sex offender sign in your lawn. Then their parents won't let them near your yard.

Just kidding of course.

have a talk with the parents under a cup of thee i gues.( just say you'd prefer them not in your backyard because of the dog and mess the make)
    if that won't help id just let my dog out in the backyard depends on what your dogs like tho can't have him bite kids or the put him down for good.

still id be straight and honest to the parents.
    if you don't want them in your backyard there not suppose to be in your backyard. ffs it's YOUR backyard? my neighbors where nudists and enjoyed there time in there backyards. none saw them or ever got troubled by the idea of them sitting outdoors like the prefer.
    still some kids liked to peep at them from a tree behind our backyards.
    after asking we got told to stfu and gtfo. and seeing my dad didn't like one bit of that we opend the backdoor of the shed go get them boy!
    got to say seeing those kids run there asses off for my dog who only thought ow lets play! was funny as hell.

still depending on ya dogs behavior! let him outside when there running amok again.
    if talking and your dog running at them won't work i suggest 15000 volts on a wire acros the fence make it 15k volts but like 0.001amps so the get a huge shock but harmless as a butterfly
    seeing P=UxI it's 15k times 0.001= just 15 watt it's not dangerous hurts like hell tho>
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by helicoptermadeofdraculas View Post
    1. chain link fence
    2. empty bottles of bleach in the yard
    3. leave bones around if you got em
    4. if not find some bones (there are usually some inside kids b.t.w.) and then go to step 3
    that made me crack up...but either talk to the kids if their old enough or to the town house. Theres a difference between being a grumpy neighbor and not wanting your tree assaulted while your ears are bleeding from a dog that (rightfully) won't shut up.