Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Good games on steam?

So recently i reinstalled Steam on a new PC. I havnt used the service in years so im not sure what games are considered good or not.
    Can anyone recommend some good indie/general games I can get on Steam. My pc is pretty average so it wont play newer games.

Il pretty much play anything as long as it is good.

Deleted
    If you like 2D platformers (with awesome music :P), VVVVVV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CtiY5D6HCs

That's the hardest (optional) "spot" in the game so it's not all like that.
    I'm not sure about it's current price, I bought it as part of a 5€ indie pack last December if I remember right. Personally if I hadn't bought it yet but knew how awesome it was I could pay up to 5€ for it, something like 10€ might be too much.

AaAaAaAaAahhhhhh
    World of Goo
    Bit Trip Beat
    Dwarfs?!
    Hydrophobia
    Plants Vs Zombies
    Universe Sandbox
    Yar's Revenge
    super Lazer Racer
    The mis adventures of PB winterbottom

Edit:
    Magicka
    Osmos
    Nyx Quest
    Amnesia The dark decent

These are just a few games that are really good,theyre all around 10$ as well

portal and Audio Surf

Section 8: Prejudice. 15 bucks on steam and rivals big FPS games in Graphics and Gameplay.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - surely one to try out, brilliant game.

Also, don't forget all the retro games that's up there on it's list! Like;

- King's Quest series
    - Lucas Arts games

or

- Telltale games
    - etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Shank, Borderlands and Plants vs Zombies are my favorites. I didn't like Magika that much, but it is a good game.

Deleted
    Portal & portal 2

Portal 1 and 2 are definitely good games also;
    Magicka
    Mass Effect 1 and 2
    The Elder Scrolls series is a good choice as well.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Portal 2
    Amnesia: The Dark Decent (very atmospheric, and terrifying)
    Tomb Raider (they have a bunch, great if you're old school like me)
    Mass Effect 1 and 2
    Gyromancer (Popcap + SquareEnix)
    Puzzle Quest 2

I've also heard good things about Magicka.

One of my new personal favorites:

Scratches: Director Cut (Think of it as a scary Myst. The mouse acceleration is rather annoying, but a good game regardless)

Also, some upcoming titles (that may be a bit much if you can't play newer games)

Fable 3 will be released on Steam (not sure if elsewhere) this coming Tuesday.
    Witcher 2 this Tuesday as well
    Dungeon Seige 3 is coming soon (June?)
    Heroes of Might and Magic 6 (September I think)

Just go through the Library and check stuff out. Normally there are forum links on each game page so you can see some talk about them, and a lot of games also come with Metascores so you can check out reviews and stuff.
    Last edited by skylla05; 2011-05-12 at 03:13 PM.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Torchlight!
    Defense Grid
    Global Agenda is pretty good if you like Sci-Fi shooter MMOs at all.
    Darwinia

Quote Originally Posted by skylla05 View Post
    Portal 2
    Amnesia: The Dark Decent (very atmospheric, and terrifying)
    Tomb Raider (they have a bunch, great if you're old school like me)
    Mass Effect 1 and 2
    Gyromancer (Popcap + SquareEnix)
    Puzzle Quest 2

I've also heard good things about Magicka.

One of my new personal favorites:

Scratches: Director Cut (Think of it as a scary Myst. The mouse acceleration is rather annoying, but a good game regardless)

Also, some upcoming titles (that may be a bit much if you can't play newer games)

Fable 3 will be released on Steam (not sure if elsewhere) this coming Tuesday.
    Witcher 2 this Tuesday as well
    Dungeon Seige 3 is coming soon (June?)
    Heroes of Might and Magic 6 (September I think)

Just go through the Library and check stuff out. Normally there are forum links on each game page so you can see some talk about them, and a lot of games also come with Metascores so you can check out reviews and stuff.

Wow dude, did you even read their post at all?

Mount and Blade:Warband , totally awesome fps rpg with fine strategy elements with cool multiplayer, including mass battles.Seriously, i dont play wow now for a few months but i login there to smash some faces every day.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CneUatAHPAo - here's a review of a crpg mod for it.

Also, i heard there was a big sale recently, dunno if it's still present

p.s. Mass battles as in 60v60 regularly and sometimes up to 100v100

Also, single player is kinda unique, it feels weird at the beginning, but after you get hooked up you can spend no less than 12 hours in a row playing it
    Last edited by Keisy; 2011-05-12 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobocamp View Post
    Wow dude, did you even read their post at all?
    Reading is hard.

Deleted
    Steam on popular games is very expensive compared to stores and other sites. BUT on base off Indie games and co-op packs they are really cheap.

Just look out every day on steam for deals, they often hold Indie pack deal with 50-75% off on every game...there even is a deal active now.

Also if you enjoy co-op games you should look out when new games get released, they often give a 20% cut on the price if you buy a pack with 2 cd keys...for example instead of paying 100 euros for portal me and my friend payed 80 euros.

The only Indie game I have is RUSH. it only costed 2 euros when I bought it in a deal. (now costs 8 I think)

10+ Year Old Account
    Steam on popular games is very expensive compared to stores and other sites. BUT on base off Indie games and co-op packs they are really cheap.
    Steam is around 5~10 times cheaper than the DVDs in Brazil. I love our taxes... ¬¬
    (I bought Bioshock for 1/15 of the price, for instance.)

Deleted
    I know a couple of people will go O.o at this, but honestly, one of the best indie games I've played on steam has been "Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale". It's completely bizarre and sounds kinda lame, but it's unbelievably addictive once you get in to it. Don't mock it until you've tried it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koriala View Post
    I know a couple of people will go O.o at this, but honestly, one of the best indie games I've played on steam has been "Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale". It's completely bizarre and sounds kinda lame, but it's unbelievably addictive once you get in to it. Don't mock it until you've tried it!
    Meh, most people that look at indie games at all know about Recettear and I've yet to hear anyone trash it. Its just people that only play AAA games that talk down about it and frankly, they can go suck a lemon.

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    Can anyone recommend some good indie/general games I can get on Steam.
    I like how this was largely ignored by the posters.

Anyway, I recommend Magicka, it's quite fun!