Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    My TV stopped working some 5 years ago.

Since i was a bit of overexxagarating my wow addiction i didnt buy a new one. I thought i can do that when my addiction has gotten less and i actually had time again to watch that thing.
    The addiction really got less quickly, but still i didnt see no reason to rebuy me a TV.

Nowadays when i ocassionally have to sleep in a hotel and i turn it on, it takes not more than 5 minutes until i switch it out again, beeing ashamed of what humanity is capable. Those 5 minutes really are enought to bring back to my mind why i didnt rebuy me a TV.

Even if there would be no commercials at all anymore all of a sudden, i still wouldnt watch TV anymore since it is such a tubbish we get presented there.

Deleted
    Thought id list some of my fav tv shows

Boardwalk empire
    Dexter
    Supernatural
    Game of thrones
    Camelot
    The Tudors
    Deadwood
    Fringe
    Justified
    True blood

just off the top of my head

i didn't watch tv for a long time too, but i can't agree with you at all.

making your question a general one, you are asking "why is people doing something i don't like?"
    if they watch it they like it and they think it's fun

I only watch some sport on TV (Bundesliga/CL) and Tagesschau.

Who watches TV when you can download your favourite shows and watch them when you want and ad free?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychos View Post
    The same reason people go to the cinema, the same reason people go to see football games, the same reason people go to the the theater. You can easily watch the things you watch there in a more comfortable, more economic way, but it just feels different.
    People are going to the cinema for the huge screen and sound, they're going to the stadium for the atmosphere, being there with thousands of other fans, the "live" experience, same goes for theatre, being there in the same room with the actors makes the difference.

But in what way is watching TV any different to watching it on the internet or similar?

BEHOLD! The ultimate power of the internetz!!!1

Deleted
    Personally I don't watch TV except for a few shows at Discovery Channel,Animal Planet,Nat Geo Wild,Travel Channel.
    Yes I love documentaries.
    Also,I am a fanboy of the Man VS Wild dude.
    I mean,there isn't enough money in the world to make a guy eat spiders and all that shit.
    But to get back ontopic I download most of the sitcoms I like.

I stopped watching TV for years until I got into TiVo.
    TiVo basically changes the way you watch TV because it no longer matters what days or times things come on and commercials no longer matter.

Now whenever i'm bored and just want to watch something to pass the time, I just fire up tivo and it already automatically records the only shows on TV I actually care about watching so at any given time I have hours and hours worth of only stuff I actually WANT to see on it and I don't have to endure commercials.

TiVo is for the win.

Interestingly enough most of the stuff I watch is really old. Such as "Are You Being Served?" and "Whose Line is it Anyway?" and that sort of thing. The only newer stuff I have is mostly comedy stuff. Family guy, south park, robot chicken, etc.

I also watched Being Human while it was on because I like werewolves and it's hard to get werewolves out of any movies or tv series. Most werewolf shows are really old and awful. The only recent ones are things like Twilight which is just terrible. I also watched Stargate Universe.

That's about it.

Deleted
    Back at home, I always had the TV "on", didn't even watch it, it was just there, providing some background noise.

Went to England, entered an university-owned accomodation, planned to buy one but kinda forgot about it. A few months have passed (since September) and I gradually forgot about it, now, I don't even watch it at home, don't think I'm missing anything tho (maybe ... 1/2 interesting shows per week).

If there is something even remotely interesting, I can watch it on the Internet (and it takes months, if not years for american TV shows to air on non-premium channels, if they ever air at all), I still use it to play with my consoles but that's it.

Deleted
    The same reason people go to the cinema, the same reason people go to see football games, the same reason people go to the the theater. You can easily watch the things you watch there in a more comfortable, more economic way, but it just feels different.
    Watching things on the TV is far from comfortable (Compared to the PC).
    Just off the top of my head you have 4-5 advert breaks for an hour show (common.... the shows are 41 minutes long, 1/3 of the time is adverts.....). My Dad bought Sky complete package, our box broke after 6 months and he was charged £150 for a new box because they gave us "A first generation box which had many built in problems", we couldn't replace the old one because they didn't make it any more so we were told to by a new box or cancel.

TV packages are a waste of money if you have a good ISP package.

Deleted
    I've never actively watched television, and since it takes months for shows to get on here, and be put in good order rather than just 'close to end OHLETSTARTOVERAGAINLOL'. So yeah, I download or get collections.

I only watch what I download, anyplace, anytime... no adds.
    Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech you like; it protects speech you don't like.
    Larry Flynt (unsourced)

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it's relaxing to lie in my bed and watch TV, sue me.

Deleted
    Why would I watch television?
    News, I have it on the Internet. Shows? 90% of shows in my country is pretty retarded(mexican soap operas, teenage crap, unfunny sitcoms...), therefore I have the mighty Internet for that also. Movies? Well, I watch movies on my TV, but not on television.

It's horrible. I tried to watch a film on television last night. I was indeed watching more commercials than the actual film. Ten years back it wasn't this terrible. Instead of two commercial breaks in one movie you now have four or five commercial breaks which last twice as long.

Films that are on television are 6 to 20 years old. Who hasn't seen them already?! 90% of the shows are terrible, like reality shows with the most annoying people ever or the 20th "You think you can dance?" or "America's next top model".

That's true. But watching downloaded series or films is more comfortable than watching television. You can watch in the same or better quality, without commercials and whenever you want (not stuck to the television schedule).

I guess it's still great for people who are not that into the internet.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    logged in just for this discovery channel isnt about interesting things anyore either....american chopper deadloiest catch all these shows that capure a job are getting old and annoying

i say its no longer the Discovery channel rather more as Discover Americas Working Class Cussing at Eachother Channel

10+ Year Old Account
    I need my tv to play the video files the interenet kindly offered me. Other than that, I really dont bother watching tv much, except for live sports. I despise all the idiotic reality tv shows, its really sickening.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    I stopped watching TV for years until I got into TiVo.
    TiVo basically changes the way you watch TV because it no longer matters what days or times things come on and commercials no longer matter.

Now whenever i'm bored and just want to watch something to pass the time, I just fire up tivo and it already automatically records the only shows on TV I actually care about watching so at any given time I have hours and hours worth of only stuff I actually WANT to see on it and I don't have to endure commercials.

TiVo is for the win.

Interestingly enough most of the stuff I watch is really old. Such as "Are You Being Served?" and "Whose Line is it Anyway?" and that sort of thing. The only newer stuff I have is mostly comedy stuff. Family guy, south park, robot chicken, etc.

I also watched Being Human while it was on because I like werewolves and it's hard to get werewolves out of any movies or tv series. Most werewolf shows are really old and awful. The only recent ones are things like Twilight which is just terrible. I also watched Stargate Universe.

That's about it.
    TiVo is actually similar to downloading a film and playing it on your television. TiVo is probably easier to use and you don't really have to search for content. On the other hand if you download you can get nearly every show/film/serie you want. You are not restricted to what is aired on television.
    I watch series when they are aired in america and at least a year later they are aired in my country.

I've been wanting to cancel my tv subscription for a while but I can't convince my wife. She's every bit as stubborn as her parents with technology. Her dad just got his first cell phone this year...

It's sad when great shows get canceled. There seems to be nothing left but reality shows that I hate. I'm really surprised that Fringe survived Friday nights and got renewed for another season. I'm still looking forward to Warehouse 13 and Haven coming back for the summer but when SGU got canceled I was seriously disappointed. It got really good but it did seem to take a while to get there.

My wife and I pretty mostly watch the same shows when we watch tv but when you think about what we typically watch, the price is absolutely ridiculous. I'm paying roughly $130 to the cable company. This includes internet but it's still ridiculous to think that even half of that would be for equipment rental and tv service when we watch less than 30 hours/month and I could go on streaming only on netflix for less than $10/month.