Thread: .bat for WoW

.bat for WoW

Code:
    @echo off
    DEL /Q C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Cache\WDB\enUS\creaturecache.wdb
    START C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Wow.exe
    Based on looking at other files that do similar to what I want I put this together.
    I simply want it to delete creaturecache.wdb and then start World of Warcraft. Is this right?

Deleted
    would also like to know......

Looks ok, but spaces in the path can make it not work right. Just put quotes around the path to fix it.

ex: "\path\to\file"

If it's running in Windows 7 it should parse just fine. The command prompt in Windows 7 can handle fully syntaxed commands. Putting quotes around it won't hurt, though.

It's a good idea, in fact. Saves you removing it manually before each time you play.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

I'm using it because I'm camping a rare spawn, using Windows Vista if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazdran View Post
    I'm using it because I'm camping a rare spawn, using Windows Vista if that matters.
    Just stick quotes around the file path, and it'll be fine.

Code:
    @echo off
    DEL /Q "C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Cache\WDB\enUS\creaturecache.wdb"
    START "C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Wow.exe"
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Deleted
    The START command does not accept a direct link to a program like that. It only accepts programs in the current directory. (which by default also accepts your User directory, or system32)

You either need to CD over to the directory where its contained, or define a path variable. E.g for:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Wow.exe"

You type:
    START /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\" wow.exe

The italics define the where, and bold defines the what.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-05-12 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    The START command does not accept a direct link to a program like that. It only accepts programs in the current directory. (which by default is your User directory, or system32)

You either need to CD over to the directory where its contained, or define a path variable. E.g for:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Wow.exe"

You type:
    START /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\" wow.exe

The italics define the where, and bold defines the what.
    Or you can just put the .bat in the WoW directory and write:
    %SystemRoot%\SysWow64\cmd.exe /c WoW.exe
    or
    %SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe /c WoW.exe
    The whole thing will look like this:
    Code:
    @echo off
    "%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe" /c
    del \q "Cache\WDB\enUS\creaturecache.wdb" 
    "WoW.exe"
    Or:
    Code:
    @echo off
    "%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\cmd.exe" /c
    del \q "Cache\WDB\enUS\creaturecache.wdb" 
    "WoW.exe"
    The main benefit of this is that it will work even if you move or rename the WoW folder, or if you copy it to another computer. Only the .bat file has to stay in the WoW directory.
    The difference is that the cmd window will stay open during play and it will close itself on exit. It takes less than 1MB RAM so this won't be a problem. If you want the cmd to start minimized, you can make a shortcut to the bat file and change the settings in properties. You can even put a WoW.exe icon on the shortcut to the bat file.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-05-12 at 10:53 AM.