Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

An Explanation on Why We Can't Have Floating Islands Everywhere in WoW.

So, I'm bored on a FP to an archaeology site. And I decided to write this, not BECAUSE PEOPLE WERE ASKING (I'VE STATED THIS TWICE ON OTHER PAGES), but for those of you who may or may not want to know why. Nothing complex, just basics of science and/or magic, on a scale Earth (given that Azeroth is a copy of Earth in dimentions, density, minerals, etc).
    Of course keep in mind, this is speculation supported by the mechanics of various elements of WoW, not simply "OMG, IT'S WOW, MAGIC! ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN! THERES NO NEED FOR THIS WALL OF TEXT!"

TL;DR at the bottom of the post.

1. What is needed to create floating rocks and or islands.

Lets take a look back at Outlands. Your first step into the Underland of WoW gave you a glimpse of hell on.. er.. Draenor? But on the side of the plate was clear vision of space, ley lines( the strange rings of water looking stuff in the sky), and floating rocks and islands. All throughout Outlands, this was visible. But why, you may or may not ask? Well, given how Draenor was blown to peices by Guldan opening the Dark Portal's, alot of ley lines (what holds the planets in WoW together and provides energy for Mages and other spell casters to tap from) on Draenor were torn from the crust and began releasing phenominal amounts of Arcane magics into the atmosphere and the air. With the aftermath of the explosion, a small chunk of Draenor was left partially intact, with the Dark Portal connected to Azeroth still on it, along with other pieces of debris within the vicinity of the said chunk of Draenor.

Due to the large amounts of Arcane energy in the air, the rocks were left in suspention, but allowed freely to orbit and rotate in mid air. Now, you may be thinking that the proximity of space may also have an effect on these rocks. Well, if Outlands was in said proximity of space, then there would be no atmosphere left, and thus, noone on the Outlands would be able to survive. No plants, animals, demons, nothing. So given the Arcane's ability to contain things, it's plausible that the ley lines release are keeping the atmosphere intact. And, of course, there are still floating rocks within the Non-Fatigue zone.

So, to summarise, and if i had missed any points, Chapter 1:
    - Arcane is a magical energy capable of suspending, supporting, and containing matter (if you don't believe me, see chapter 2).
    - Regardless of being within the atmosphere of the Outlands, the rocks are still floating, and are not suspended by zero-gravity (even if there was zero gravity, youd be floating away if u stood on one of the rocks).
    - Ley Lines run through all planets (even Azeroth, if you haven't heard Malygos and his flight QQing about mortals tapping into Azeroth's)

2. Proof of the Arcane's Power
    Lets take a look at The Nexus now shall we? The Blue Dragonflights main base of activity. A place bursting with Arcane energies due to the crossing of so many of Azeroth's Ley lines. The entirity of the outside of the crystaline fortress is a series of floating rings and rocks, held together by crystaline chains. While not visible outside, the Arcane is working away both outside and inside the Nexus, especially the lower quaters of the fortress. The Nexus (the lower quaters) is thought to be a testing facility for the Blue's. It is fitted with a chamber for containing and (and in a red dragons case) experementing. A "Library". A garden. A statis chamber. And a strange walkway (although it could have been something else prior to the rift opening). This rift, bursting with arcane energy and elementals caused the majority of the floor in this chamber to be blasted away, leaving a single bridge of the floor to be left intact with the door (Co-insi-DEEEEEEENCE!) to the next area, and various floating remains of the floor itself.

Lets teleport ourselves to Dragonblight now. To the immediate south of the Wyrmrest Temple is the Blue Dragonshrine- Or what is left of it. It is now a haven of arcane energies rising from the earth in tremendous amounts. Again, look around. What is that? Floating rocks and a random dragon skeleton half-attatched to the floor.

Lets recap chapter 2 (or in other words, TL; DR Part 2):
    - Various areas associated with ley lines, rifts, and the Blue Dragonflight have suspended or floating rocks, again within the atmosphere of Azeroth.
    And thats it. Didn't really have much else in there. :\

And lastly:
    3. Why we can't have floating rocks EVERYWHERE on Azeroth

Ok, I'll try to make this as short and sweet as possible to reduce the size of this post (I don't like posting multiple parts, as people may see part of the story and start QQing when I haven't posted the next part explaining something important).
    In the Twilight Highlands, the Twilight's Hammer have stabbed two parts of an aparent ley line, and are corrupting the flowing energies for their own dark magics, resulting in a few bits of rock floating. With Arcane being the only plausible way to have floating rocks inside of an atmosphere, theres gonna have to be alot of Arcane in the first place. So, that means in order to have the wonders of anti-gravity on Azeroth, there is gonna have to be a f*&#-tonne of burst ley lines to create the necessary arcane levels. Now, what happens when you slowly snip away at the threads of a net bag holding rocks (a strange example I know)? The entire bag is unable to hold the rocks inside of itself, and so they all come crashing out, left with the remains of a bag that was unable to fulfill its duties, you mean son of a gun. How could you do that to it?!

So, in short. In order to have floating islands in azeroth, we are going to have to turn the planet into another Outlands. That sound like fun? Having to live through that awful awful place again? I think not, for most of you at least.

TL;DR - If you want floating islands and rocks, either go randomly generate worlds in Minecraft, or go live in Outlands, because I don't want Azeroth blown to shreds, TYVM!

Thankyou for reading (if you could be bothered or even did) .
    Last edited by Auxis; 2011-05-13 at 06:27 AM.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

I don't want to see floating islands everywhere in wow...this is just .... stupid

The Nexus is on Azeroth. Boom.

Deleted
    Several floating islands in the Twilight Highlands, which is on Azeroth also.

Double Boom.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Floating rocks are boring just like outland itself :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Dalaran = Floating Island in Azeroth

This is a lot of ink spilled over something I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Good point, one caused by magic and not Ley Lines directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    So, in short. In order to have floating islands in azeroth, we are going to have to turn the planet into another Outlands. That sound like fun? Having to live through that awful awful place again? I think not, for most of you at least.

TL;DR - If you want floating islands and rocks, either go randomly generate worlds in Minecraft, or go live in Outlands, because I don't want Azeroth blown to shreds, TYVM!
    An interesting read on a strange topic. I approve! However I think you forgot that uncontrolled arcane energies are not the only way to float an island. Controlled arcane energies can obviously have the same effect (ex: Dalaran).

So, if someone (I don't know why) wanted floating islands and rocks, they could conceivably structure such a thing manually. It would no doubt be a massive undertaking, but it is possible.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dalaran used to fly too. It went from Lordaeron to Northrend, so why couldnt mages lift rocks everywhere?

IB4 Rhonin was there.

Damnit got beaten on Dalaran thingy.

Deleted
    no offence dude... but there are bigger problems in life... i seriously admire the fact that you have enough time to think these things up :|

Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    Several floating islands in the Twilight Highlands, which is on Azeroth also.

Double Boom.
    Someone clearly didn't actually read the OP. The only thing more embarassing than cramming your foot in your mouth is gloating over it at the end. rofl
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>

Quote Originally Posted by Zilo8890 View Post
    no offence dude... but there are bigger problems in life... i seriously admire the fact that you have enough time to think these things up :|
    This forum might not be for you.

Floating land masses in Westfall too. Uh oh!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    An interesting read on a strange topic. I approve! However I think you forgot that uncontrolled arcane energies are not the only way to float an island. Controlled arcane energies can obviously have the same effect (ex: Dalaran).

So, if someone (I don't know why) wanted floating islands and rocks, they could conceivably structure such a thing manually. It would no doubt be a massive undertaking, but it is possible.
    Constantly tapping into the ley lines can cause damage to the ley lines themselves, thats why Malygos was so angry at the mortal races for casting spells. Particularly the mages. And alot of arcane is used to keep Dalaran Island supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilo8890 View Post
    Who cares? It's an interesting observation. Get over it.

OP: I suggest a change in title to something without a negitave. Like, "The causes of floating rocks and islands in WoW". Otherwise you're going to get a lot of people like the above thinking you're making an argument instead of a point.
    Last edited by Firecrest; 2011-05-12 at 05:01 PM. Reason: autocorrect ftl
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    ^ perfect example why there should be no flying islands in azeroth...ever notice how there was hardly anything to do in crystalsong? haveing dalaran there was actually makeing it nearly impossable for blizz to actually do anything in crystal song because of the mechanics dalaran needed and if they were to have done much in that zone it would have been as laggy as shatt used to be in BC

Wingardium Leviosa...

This was quite random...

I'm not sure if I should be mildly impressed you took the time to write this out, or aggravated with you after actually reading the entire thing. Yay for more random useless knowledge to spurt out to people in guild chat one night, I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    Who cares? It's an interesting observation. Get over it.

OP: I suggest a change in title to something without a negitave. Like, "The causes of floating rocks and islands in WoW". Otherwise you're going to get a lot of people like the above thinking you're making an argument instead of a point.
    ok, ill think of a new title, and request for a title change.