Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Did you grow up poor?

My parents are not from the Netherlands so when they came here they were pretty poor, i have also grown up (and still am) pretty poor.
    Never had much nice things in my life as all their money would go to my 2 little sisters(they became spoiled brats however)

Lol, im sounding pretty spoiled when you look at kids who dont even have a home or food

Anyways, did you live poor/moderate/rich?

I wouldn't say poor poor, but certainly not wealthy. I blame my lack of wealth on why I play WoW. A lot of mileage out of my 15 dollars a month.

I was pretty damn poor when I was really little, but when I was around 8, my dad quit his shitty job and became self employed and made like, 5x as much money

I grew up poor but me and my wife are pretty good now, it makes you appreciate having some nice things.

Deleted
    I'm young and poor, my mum is a qualified youth worker with no job due to governmental cuts. Basically the internet is my only luxury which my paper round money gets put towards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninurta View Post
    I grew up poor but me and my wife are pretty good now, it makes you appreciate having some nice things.
    Hmm guess thats true.
    The times when i got something nice i was really happy with it.

---------- Post added 2011-05-12 at 08:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mazamaras View Post
    I'm young and poor, my mum is a qualified youth worker with no job due to governmental cuts. Basically the internet is my only luxury which my paper round money gets put towards.
    Well, atleast we can say we had a tougher life then other not poor kids. : D

It makes your skin thick you don't tend to worry about little things as much as others ive noticed

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninurta View Post
    It makes your skin thick you don't tend to worry about little things as much as others ive noticed
    Yeh kinda, still annoying growing up poor in that way however.

Moderate, I suppose, but I suppose that's all relative.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say I grew up middle Middle class, roof over my head, plenty of food, we managed to take a vacation somewhere every year.

10+ Year Old Account
    yea, im fortunate enough to live in a household that makes a good amount of money. Im able to go to a nice private school and my parents are able to pay for a few years of college till they pass the torch to me. we have plenty of food and a very nice house. My dad used to have a job before he got layed off, but he managed to use the money he got to build us a house.

This thread got me thinking. Since my dad is self-employed as a waste management contractor, he has alot of free time, so he does odd-jobs around our community. Our realtor friend payed him to clean out this house she is putting on the market after the renters left. He took me to the house today, and it was incredible sad. When you walked inside the house, it looked really depressing. It looked like they had packed up in left in the middle of the night or something. the fridge was full of food that is now rotting, movies and books were all over the place, including several bibles. They had a kid named Jacob and his toys were just left. binders full of his school work, his backpack, his notebooks, everything was left. the thing that really made me sad was when i saw this box outside.

It was just a simple little box made of cardboard. written on it was "Jacob's magic fun box" in a kids handwriting. that was really sad, this kid had nothing, yet found a way to make a simple cardboard box fun. his mom was unemployed, i know this because i found a Social Security invoice, and it was only 5,700 dollars. im not independant, but im not sure that is quite enough to live comfortably. but, i dont really know.

also, the family left their three pet cats in the house. they had a bowl of food and water, but they were both almost empty. luckily the cats gotten outside so they wouldn't starve to death. one of the cats is a kitten, and it really broke my heart to see how much food he ate when we put some out.

Really makes you appreciate what you have

10+ Year Old Account
    We were well-off until I was 16. Step-dad admitted to cheating on my mom the whole 10 years they were married, his company went under, they split, and I've been living in apartments for the last 10 years. Kind of a fucked up time for me for it to happen.

Not exactly poor.

More like debt-infested middle class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom
    No. After the Cataclysm there will be an expansion for the zerg, and then an expansion for the protoss.

Yep, I grew up poor from my birth in 1981 to today, actually about to join the Army just so I can find work.
    Growing up I ended up buying most of my own stuff (Mostly videogames) with the help of a lawnmower, even bought my own computer and helped on quite a few bill that way, was also one of them families where we were rolling pennies for gas.

Grew up and for some reason, I have always had trouble finding work and the few jobs I did get ended up having the must messed up bosses known to mankind. And I am not talking being a jerk, I mean I worked at a convenience store for 9 months and quit with a class action lawsuit against them for deleting hours of time cards and skipping over raises (It is annoying working 40 hours and having to go to your district manager over and over again cause your paycheck was missing 2-8 hours of it), that level of messed up jobs.

At this point, I have been on file with Wal-Mart for 12 year and never given a chance, but had a supervisor tell me I was shot down due to my college background (2 years for computer programming), same with FoodLion, Coke-a-cola, Pepsi, Fritolay, Smithfield Packing, McDonalds, the local Hospitals, local factories and all. And before you ask, I am a high school graduate with 2 years of college and no criminal record, don't drink, smoke or do any drugs but most jobs out here only go for potheads they know they can fire anytime with a random drug test or illegals it seems.

So yes, I grew up poor and after almost 30 years, I am still there for now and it sucks.

Edit: And why is this in the Fun Stuff section? Doesn't seem like a fun topic, just a general off topic. But oh well.
    Last edited by Fugus; 2011-05-13 at 04:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Id say currently my family isnt super rich, but I am above average. I live in a big city where everyone is used to having nice things, im not talking about every1 has a new BMW and millions of dollars, most people have nice electronics, a nice house and a average car like a 4 year old Corolla. Personally my family has a very big house, lots of good electronics, a ford focus thats 7 years old and I go to a public school.

For where I live thats abit above average, for many countries thats like living like a king and for some people im living in the slums... all that matter is that I am thankful for everything I have and always try not to be greedy with my parent's money or my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Wounds View Post
    Myself, yes, I have always wanted to be a mod
    Probably not, the job sucks.

My childhood pretty much sucked so I just try not to think about it too much but yeah I grew up very poor. My dad left when I was about two years old and my mom spent the greater part of her time in jail for drug possession/use and stealing. So I guess between being bounced from family members who didn't give a crap and several group homes I suppose I turned out alright.

I ended up joining the army when I was right out of high school due to being kicked out on the streets the day I graduated just to have a roof over my head and a paycheck. I think after everything that's happened though its just made me a stronger person with a small side effect of not trusting anyone.

Today I do pretty good though...finished up my associates degree about two years ago and work as cnc machinist/programmer and respected within my community.

It could be worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grew up pretty poor, my parents were both residential aliens when I was born here in the U.S. Didn't have too many amenities, but I think that just lets you appreciate the small things growing up. I didn't really realize that I grew up in a rather ghetto neighborhood until we moved to another town and visited the old house 7 years later. That kind of makes me laugh.

I'm pretty bleh at the moment. Need to get my degree still to secure some kind of decent career.

sad to say but it's a riches to rags story for me.. Grew up with a "millionaire" drug addict mother who inherited all that money from my grandpa's death. My father was a druggie as well, never had a job and leached off my mom, not to mention he left my mom multiple times for other women. And she always took him back. *sigh*

We lived an extravagant lifestyle for years, all the while the money was disappearing very fast. It was all about the drugs and living a rich lifestyle. Going on vacations, eating at expensive restaurants etc. When my mom realized the money was dwindling, instead of going out and working she sold the house we were living in and all sorts of other possessions. This trend didn't stop and it drove us to the point of poverty. I was so lucky to get away at the age of 16 and start living my own life.

In a way I'm happy for experiencing it all though. I've learned so much from the mistakes my parents made... I've become the exact opposite of them in almost every way and it makes them both happy. Except when I never lend them money.

10+ Year Old Account
    definition of poor would help. Both parents are teachers, so we never had any real spending money, though we could afford to go on trips every few years. As a side note, i find it funny that this lack of spending money is what at first scarred me away from wow (omg, 15$ a month is so much), and then encouraged me (wait, if i only play this, i only spend 15$ a month on games)
    Einstien trolled Newton so hard with general relativity

10+ Year Old Account
    I never was a spoiled brat, but I didn't have any siblings and both my parents used to have extraordinary jobs. Obviously I grew up in a large house until my parents divorced when I was 14. Since then I've been living with my mother in a medium-sized apartment but now I'm starting to make my own money because I want to move out asap
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.