Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Just want to clarify this, Crusader Striking when you can be HLing instead is bad. CS is a waste of mana and you don't get healing from it besides 1 Holy Power, so you would get 3 CS' to generate a WoG from the CS'. It's a waste of GCDs and mana, when you could be Holy Lighting instead, and proccing more Daybreaks for double Holy Shocks. There are times to use CS, like when you need another AoE heal NOW and so you do it to get another charge for your LoD, but the platform isn't really a good time to CS.
    Wait we don't use LoD on the platforms? I use the hell out of it (including crusader striking on cd) and seems to work fine. Is this a difference in 10 mans or am i doing it wrong?

Deleted
    I usually do fine on the platform with 4, I beacon a death knight and heal a shadow priest, while myself and the tank rely on self heals unless it gets dangerous. For the crackle on the platform it makes your job a whole lot easier if you use sacrifice on a dps (in my case the shadow priest while the death knight used Anti-Magic shell) and bubble yourself, it basically only leaves the tank to heal up after the crackle. As to whether he should be at 10% mana after healing the nef tank in p1, even with lag or poor gear he should still be able to keep a tank up without going below 50%. He should always use his mana CDs as he prepares to swim out of the lava and use Resistance Aura Mastery to keep the fire (and shadow) damage to as low as possible, with a radiance to get people stable if needed. In p3 if he heals the nef tank then he can Light of Dawn and radiance the raid to get people stable after every crackle, other than that, if hes healing the add tank, he should try his best to position himself in front of the tank so he is ready to cast a heal if needed without being out of range from the tank.

Looking at his overhealing:
    Divine Light: 27.6%
    Beacon of Light: 14.2%
    Holy Light: 13.6%

For the most part he is right about some talents like Protector of the Innocent being a overhealing culprit.
    Usually you can disregard overhealing done by Beacon, Protector, and AoEs like Holy Radiance.

In this case however, the majority of this paladin's overhealing comes from Divine Light spam.

As others have stated, that's not necessarily a problem if mana isn't a problem. But if he's asking for innervates and running OOM during the fight then I can tell you with great certainty that his problem is over using Divine Light.

In a 3 hour long raid you pally judged only 117 times, and used Divine Plea only 13 times.

Both of those numbers are incredibly low. INCREDIBLY low. Those two abilities are his two primary means of mana regen and he barely uses them.

Also I notice that he NEVER uses Divine Protection, which should be glyphed and used lots and lots throughout the raid.

What I see:
    A pally that doesn't manage his mana regen, mana use, or survivability abilities very well.

If people die because he goes OOM then it's this guy's fault.

You have every right to be frustrated with your pally healer, imo.

Deleted
    Just a quick thanks too all those that have contributed to this discussion, raiding tonight will see what's changed.

Deleted
    I havent read all the replys and if someone else suggested that,sry

1.First of all he dosnt have Gloves and Bracers enchants...i suggest getting eighter 50 spirit or 50 int(wich is better,but expensive) for the Bracers and 50 haste for the Gloves PS:he should use 50 haste on boots also
    2.He didnt reforge his Chest and Boots(he should reforge that crit into spirit,and as soon as the Magmaw chest&Omnitron Boots drop,he should get them)
    3.He should use 20 int 20 spirit gems into the blue socket bonuses not 40 int
    4.He needs to remove 2 talent points from Blazing Light and put them on Paragon of Virtue

as for his playstile,i am too lazy to check WoL...but as a nef tank,he should always stay near the boss,smack him with his mace for mana,and use judgement whenver he cans,as much as possible...use Avenging Wrath in combo with Plea,use his Trinket his Arcane Torrent as soon as he gets at about 90% or so...and be sure he is not overhealing with divine light,and makes use of his Word of Glory,getting his Holy Power fast via Holy Shock or beacon healing(WoG costs no mana...its pro)

Deleted
    He isn't doing so badly because of his overheal. Sure his Divine light is a bit over the top, but other than that overhealing is not the reason.

The reason is due to lack of judging, lack of cooldown usuage and lack of pots.

Sure he could tweak his build, sure he could finish off his reforging but that isn't the main reasons and won't really help him.

He mostly needs to judge more, use cooldowns better and pot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symby View Post
    I havent read all the replys and if someone else suggested that,sry
    I'm not sure what you sought to accomplish here considering the primary issues (including the couple of legitimate ones you list) have already been addressed and acknowledged by the OP (which you'd know had you read the replies). The only reason I'm attaching this is just in case someone searching happens to come across your post and the bad advice contained therein.

1.First of all he dosnt have Gloves and Bracers enchants...i suggest getting eighter 50 spirit or 50 int(wich is better,but expensive) for the Bracers and 50 haste for the Gloves
    Already covered.

PS:he should use 50 haste on boots also
    Except he's not specced into PoJ, so movement speed is probably a wiser choice.

2.He didnt reforge his Chest and Boots
    Already covered.

3.He should use 20 int 20 spirit gems into the blue socket bonuses not 40 int
    Why? So he can lose a primary stat to gain a secondary stat? If the blue sockets on his current gear offered +20 int bonuses, it'd be a different story.

4.He needs to remove 2 talent points from Blazing Light and put them on Paragon of Virtue
    Already covered.

as for his playstile,i am too lazy to check WoL...
    Then why bother replying?

use Avenging Wrath in combo with Plea
    No. Divine Plea should be used smartly during safe opportunities. You don't waste cooldowns to compensate for healing reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneshiro View Post
    Hi all,

I haven't the slightest how holy paladins are meant to be played in a raid environment so I'm holding back on raging at our holy paladin. Could some of you raiding holy paladins please tell me if insane amount of overheal is justifiable on our nef attempts and 1st kill (yay for 12/12)

Phase 1: Holy paladin is healing the nef tank and the fury warrior tanking the adds in p1 (resto shaman is also assisting healing here)
    Phase 2: He's healing his platform and asking a balance druid to heal to support him as he cannot solo heal on his platform
    Phase 3: He's the add tanks healer

He's been known to ask for a mana tide totem / innervate half way through phase 1 leaving us healers scratching heads as we try to understand why he's at less than 40% mana whilst we're at 80-90% mana still.

(Im a disc priest solo healing onyxia tank + me + a mage in p1, able to heal my platform fine and then heal nef tank + raid in p3 whilst ending with 50-60% mana, mana tide totem + fiend come off cd just before 10% crackle. And the 3rd healer as mentioned before is a resto shaman that is usually left to raid heal)

He's claiming that his talents (protector of the innocent is apparently what he thinks all his overheal is coming from) I don't wanna approach him until i know what the deal is and whether it is justifiable or if he's being a douche and needs a talking to.

WoL for our nef night+kill: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...yze/hd/source/
    As a 10/13 Heroic Holy Paladin, I see this as a fear to using Divine Plea and wrong use of spells given to the class.

For the Mana Issue, I looked at the logs and he only used Divine Plea. For a Nefarian 10 man regular you should be able to use it at least 3 times if you pop it when you need it and then from on CD from the first time. Also, I looked at his Judgements of the Pure buff from the logs and it seemed a bit low but not too low. Judgements of the Pure allows you to get mana back when you judge a target which any Holy Paladin should be using on cooldown unless they know that damage is coming out within half a global or damage is already out. This should give him about 3.5k mana each time he uses this, and its a 8 second cooldown.

For the Healing issue, when I looked at the logs he very rarely used Light of Dawn. For the Pillar Phase, or Phase 2, what I do is beacon myself and point my body towards my raid members on my Pillar so that I can Light of Dawn them to and then get heals from it transfered to beacon on me, also using Holy radience is a helpful tool on those pillars. Also make sure that he is using Holy Shock on CD.

Another problem might be the fact thats its a different fight then many others. In many other encounters if someone gets to 10% health you try to get them up as quickly as possible, but in Nefarian crackles bring people down extremely and people freak out that someone is gonna get gibbed. Well Nefarian is one of those fights that you make sure that your tanks are topped off first and just make that your raid is fully topped off before the next crackle.

Just let me know if he needs some kind of help with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kaneshiro
    Phase 1: Holy paladin is healing the nef tank and the fury warrior tanking the adds in p1 (resto shaman is also assisting healing here)
    All of the problems already listed with his rotation/gearing/etc aside, you have him healing the nef tank, who gets hit harder than the ony tank, and a fury warrior tanking the adds which is just... a ton of damage to heal through.

If I were an undergeared and inexperienced holy pally I would be afraid to plea, pot, etc during that phase. First time we killed Nef (I'm a warrior tank, was in half blues at the time) I had an undergeared (but experienced) holy pally healing me (and only me) during p1. He was at 10% mana at the end of the phase, popping all his mana return CDs correctly. It was unavoidable, but manageable, we had him innervated for p2 so it was not an issue.

There are a couple options for your raidleader: 1)confront the pally about his CD usage (which should be done regardless), 2) switch the resto shaman to the nef tank, and the pally to the fury tank + the raid, or 3) get rid of your ridiculous fury tank strat.

Honestly, if healer mana is an issue, you are choosing the most stressful method for dealing with the adds in p1. If you don't have a mage (frost kite), or hunter (turtle tank, easiest method), then get one, you'll need these classes for heroics anyway.

I kind of find it a dick move that you would post on the forums about his mana in p1, when you are giving him the most difficult healing job (as you described it at least) for that phase. If his mana is an issue, move the healers around. If his replacement has an issue with mana, guess what it's your strat/comp, not the player. I'm not saying he isn't doing things wrong (he clearly is as others have posted already), it just seems to me you saw the overheal (which is not termendously abnormal when compared to a disc priest and a resto sham -> bubbles/earthshield/etc rarely overheal), and decided that he was the problem.

Personally I would address him about his CDs, but also address the raid strat/comp in terms of healing/tanking at the same time. If you do both, the guild will profit, and the guy wont feel so singled out.
    Last edited by Garganchewin; 2011-05-17 at 06:43 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garganchewin View Post
    All of the problems already listed with his rotation/gearing/etc aside, you have him healing the nef tank, who gets hit harder than the ony tank, and a fury warrior tanking the adds which is just... a ton of damage to heal through.

If I were an undergeared and inexperienced holy pally I would be afraid to plea, pot, etc during that phase. First time we killed Nef (I'm a warrior tank, was in half blues at the time) I had an undergeared (but experienced) holy pally healing me (and only me) during p1. He was at 10% mana at the end of the phase, popping all his mana return CDs correctly. It was unavoidable, but manageable, we had him innervated for p2 so it was not an issue.

There are a couple options for your raidleader: 1)confront the pally about his CD usage (which should be done regardless), 2) switch the resto shaman to the nef tank, and the pally to the fury tank + the raid, or 3) get rid of your ridiculous fury tank strat.

Honestly, if healer mana is an issue, you are choosing the most stressful method for dealing with the adds in p1. If you don't have a mage (frost kite), or hunter (turtle tank, easiest method), then get one, you'll need these classes for heroics anyway.

I kind of find it a dick move that you would post on the forums about his mana in p1, when you are giving him the most difficult healing job (as you described it at least) for that phase. If his mana is an issue, move the healers around. If his replacement has an issue with mana, guess what it's your strat/comp, not the player. I'm not saying he isn't doing things wrong (he clearly is as others have posted already), it just seems to me you saw the overheal (which is not termendously abnormal when compared to a disc priest and a resto sham -> bubbles/earthshield/etc rarely overheal), and decided that he was the problem.

Personally I would address him about his CDs, but also address the raid strat/comp in terms of healing/tanking at the same time. If you do both, the guild will profit, and the guy wont feel so singled out.
    Thanks for the post, and cheers to stating that you think its a dick move for seeking advice for a holy paladin that has been proven to have an inefficient mana regen method for the nef attempts and kill shown in the previously linked WoL. Next time I have a problem and need help i'll be sure to just pretend everything is ok and hope the problem just goes away so i avoid making another dick move.

As previously mentioned in this thread, by me, we have 2 fire mages that take it in turn once all adds are up to nova and ring of frost the adds so they are doing the least amount of damage to the fury tank. Also the Holy paladin beacons the fury tank and just keeps focus on nef tank while the shaman raid heals and keeps the fury tank up when beacon fails to keep the fury warrior up (cc falls off adds and takes a few milliseconds for next cc to be laid down). We chose the warrior to put a sword and board on due to the high mobility of warriors (intercept/intervene/heroic leap + my life grip if he calls for it). Further more the Fury warrior often walks into my LoS whilst picking up adds so i can throw bubbles on him to again ease the healing pressure on him.

Taking one of our mages and forcing them to go frost lowers the raids dps output considerably (we had to do it for cho'gal and disliked the piss poor dps the mage was putting out thanks to frost mages dps being dire). In a 25man situation 1 mage doing less dps but having the ability to kite for the 1st 90seconds of nef might be viable but in 10man 1 out of the 5 dps doing bad dps adds more stress to the fight than worth.
    Last edited by mmoc21d8eaf53e; 2011-05-17 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneshiro View Post
    Hi all,

I haven't the slightest how holy paladins are meant to be played in a raid environment so I'm holding back on raging at our holy paladin. Could some of you raiding holy paladins please tell me if insane amount of overheal is justifiable on our nef attempts and 1st kill (yay for 12/12)

Phase 2: He's healing his platform and asking a balance druid to heal to support him as he cannot solo heal on his platform
    Phase 3: He's the add tanks healer

He's been known to ask for a mana tide totem / innervate half way through phase 1 leaving us healers scratching heads as we try to understand why he's at less than 40% mana whilst we're at 80-90% mana still.

(Im a disc priest solo healing onyxia tank + me + a mage in p1, able to heal my platform fine and then heal nef tank + raid in p3 whilst ending with 50-60% mana, mana tide totem + fiend come off cd just before 10% crackle. And the 3rd healer as mentioned before is a resto shaman that is usually left to raid heal)

He's claiming that his talents (protector of the innocent is apparently what he thinks all his overheal is coming from) I don't wanna approach him until i know what the deal is and whether it is justifiable or if he's being a douche and needs a talking to.

WoL for our nef night+kill: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...yze/hd/source/
    He is silly. I am a 19 day old holy paladin 1800 spirit 90k mana. I heal nef tank phase 1 and 3 although since our resto druid can't handle add tank I also give up my beacon in phase 3 to keep him alive. I ALWAYS go back to 100% mana in phase 2 and solo heal my platform with 4 people while interrupting if needed. I do about 30% overheal on nef kills even less on other fights when I get to choose my beacon

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    He is silly. I am a 19 day old holy paladin 1800 spirit 90k mana. I heal nef tank phase 1 and 3 although since our resto druid can't handle add tank I also give up my beacon in phase 3 to keep him alive. I ALWAYS go back to 100% mana in phase 2 and solo heal my platform with 4 people while interrupting if needed. I do about 30% overheal on nef kills even less on other fights when I get to choose my beacon
    Great. And this helps me how?

Edit: Felt too short and angry with that response. What i mean is; You're just stating facts about how you find nef. Up until now this has been a clean thread full of useful insight into why he might be having troubles. Just saying "he is silly" then ranting how awesome you are with low spirit and low mana doesn't help matters. And going off topic a bit but to hell with it, i call bullsh*t until you post ur armory and WoL showing that kill.
    Last edited by mmoc21d8eaf53e; 2011-05-17 at 12:17 PM.

Deleted
    Optimizing his play beyond "he doesn't judge enough" isn't really something you can deduce from just WoL. I expect him to be a too aggressive healer, meaning that he's trying to snipe every bit of lost HP that he can instead of relying on cushion heals. A healer has to realize when a player is in actual danger of death at any given point and base his judge/plea behavior from that instead of blind-staring yourself on people losing some HP.

And, really, I wouldn't go beyond that. The blunt truth is, analyzing every player's playstyle on far from bleeding edge content is unlikely to get you places. Encouraging people to get better is of course always good, but when you start demanding people to be cable of performing tasks they simply can not fulfill, you rarely end up with a positive situation in the end. Try swapping around different healers and see how that works before you demand of specific players to be able to pull any job on any fight.

Small tips for p2:
    -Plea when P1 ends, you won't need to heal for a good 10 seconds before you get up on the platform making it an ideal moment to plea.

-Find out which of the players on your platform actually gets the most out of beacon. Beaconing yourself is never the correct choice due to DP glyph and PotI, but from there it's anyone's game. It's not unlikely to be the tank either; as an example on my platform on a heroic I have a destruction warlock, blood death knight and a protection warrior. The latter will always end up soaking the most damage, making him the ideal beacon target rather than the warlock or yourself, like one might think.

Read through the replies, and I didn't *see* these points covered. If they were, my apologies.

Edit: Apparently I fail at reading. The first page. My apologies.
    Last edited by Evalonne; 2011-05-17 at 04:22 PM. Reason: I fail. :(

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evalonne View Post
    Read through the replies, and I didn't *see* these points covered. If they were, my apologies.
    Yes, they were all addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Yes, they were all addressed.
    My apologies then. =P

Deleted
    My apologies then. =P
    Lets be honest, how many people are really 'willing' to read through 52 replies to find out whether everything you were going to say was already covered or not?

Its better to have it say three times that no times.

To be perfectly honest, I have the memory of a hummingbird. I read through the whole thing, but by the time I was at the third page had forgotten that switching to heartsong and management of cooldowns like Divine Protection, hand of sacrifice, et al had already been mentioned. I'd already opened the WoL page, so I checked to see if those had been used. I edited the post because for the OP's purpose, my post really didn't help anything or say it better than it had already been said.

10+ Year Old Account
    My apologies then. =P
    No worries at all. There's certainly nothing wrong with wanting to help, and your suggestions were sound. Advice threads can just get frustrating for the OP and others who've already invested effort in participation when, after a bump, lazily mashed out replies get added (like #45) as if no discussion had already taken place. That's why I tend to disagree with sentiments like:

Quote Originally Posted by Zyhar View Post
    Lets be honest, how many people are really 'willing' to read through 52 replies to find out whether everything you were going to say was already covered or not? Its better to have it say three times than no times.
    IMO, if that's the case, it's better for them to just move on. If it's too much effort to read through and constructively participate, that's a good indicator that a reply won't offer anything helpful or might bog down the conversation. Speaking of which, I don't mean to derail... just grumpy about posting etiquette.