Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Best desk for Multi-Monitor setup...

So, I need a new desk for my monitors. I tried picking one up at Big Lots (big mistake) and let's just say I have concerns about putting almost 100lbs worth of monitors on top of the thing. I'm thinking a solid slab door from Home Depot and a couple of filing cabinets from Office Depot should get the job done although that might be a bit tacky. I looked around locally and I don't see any plain and solid looking computer desks. Thoughts?

Proud Officer of Gwen Stefani on the Blackhand-US Realm

10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on your woodcutting skillz, best option is to make it yourself, as you make the perfect fit

Quote Originally Posted by Hozar View Post
    Depending on your woodcutting skillz, best option is to make it yourself, as you make the perfect fit
    Honestly this is your best bet.

I had an old butcherblock table that was sitting in the garage for 3-4years, i just trimmed it up a bit and wah lah. Computer table.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spacechicken_bh View Post
    So, I need a new desk for my monitors. I tried picking one up at Big Lots (big mistake) and let's just say I have concerns about putting almost 100lbs worth of monitors on top of the thing. I'm thinking a solid slab door from Home Depot and a couple of filing cabinets from Office Depot should get the job done although that might be a bit tacky. I looked around locally and I don't see any plain and solid looking computer desks. Thoughts?
    Upgrade from CRT monitors and this wouldn't be an issue...
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Upgrade from CRT monitors and this wouldn't be an issue...
    Off topic but yeah I was thinking the same =/

On topic - Make it yourself, get it to fit perfectly with your set up, probably cheaper (by the sounds your trying to keep it cheap) and can make it look really cool. Just make sure you sand the edges so you dont end up in A&E when you down Ragnaros HC, celebrate and flail your arms about

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
    Last edited by Jaqera; 2014-07-29 at 06:21 PM.

Pretty much the best desk ever

ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60111123

Quote Originally Posted by Lohth View Post
    Pretty much the best desk ever

ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60111123
    I think i would destroy my my shins on that desk

Quote Originally Posted by Fooliecoolie View Post
    That desk looks pretty tiny. I mean they don't even use a mouse for their computer!

I think a regular 4" or 6" fold up table is amazing for computers. Just make sure it's decent quality so it can hold up the weight

You likely can't find these anymore, I got mine from Craigslist. The manufacturer has gone out of business. But I have 30", 20", 19" monitors, my Deksnote, and the desktop listed below(it's rather large) all on it, with space to spare. I could probably fit another normal tower and another 30" monitor with ease.

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/o...-maple-reviews

EDIT: In fact when I finally get working again, i'm planning on building another machine, and would likely get another 30" for it.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

http://www.staples.com/OSP-Design-Ha...duct_SS1048872
    is what I roll with.. dunno what size your monitors are though, so this may or may not be good enough for ya.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/imag0087r.jpg/

Ah, yeah, I'm going to be setting up x3 Dell U3011 (30") displays and they are decently heavy for being monitors. My handyman ability is unfortunately quite low so the easier the build, the better. I was just at Home Depot checking out some slab doors, like this one in particular. If the wood staining isn't too difficult to do I think this may be the way I'll go.

I like the corner desk idea though... I'll do so more looking around locally tomorrow to see if I find anything that I like. Thanks for the input everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinky View Post
    Holy crap that's pretty...

Yeah, if you can find one like mine, they work well. I also have 2 5ft Surge Strips on the support board on each side, ie that board that runs under the wings. I also have cable clips running above the strips, both on the front and back. Once i'm done, you'll see little to no cabling unless you look. I should be done getting it all tidied up sometime today too, can take a photo if you want. I have a Dell U3011 in the middle so you can see just how large it is.

---------- Post added 2011-05-13 at 11:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinky View Post
    Eh, while I don't doubt the wire is strong enough, I'd dislike breezes or other random crap moving my monitors around.
    Last edited by ispano; 2011-05-13 at 11:03 PM.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

Yes please do, I would be interested to see how it looks on that desk.

As others have said, build it yourself! Inch thick MDF properly supported with 1x2 inch battoning will do fine. Paint, lacquer and polish.

Quote Originally Posted by Toator View Post
    Honestly this is your best bet.

I had an old butcherblock table that was sitting in the garage for 3-4years, i just trimmed it up a bit and wah lah. Computer table.
    /shudder
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Took me longer than expected to get that all cleaned up, but here it is.

http://ispano.mine.nu/files/Desk.jpg

EDIT: Cable guy is here so it might not be available intermittently.
    Last edited by ispano; 2011-05-16 at 05:16 AM.

Thanks again for the input everyone! I ended up grabbing a L-shaped desk from OfficeMax and putting it together myself in the end. Here's a pic...

I don't have it in SLI Surround for gaming yet because I need to grab a DisplayPort cable from Microcenter tomorrow morning. The desk is fairly sturdy and only took me about a hour and 1/2 to do. I recommend it if any of you happen to be looking for a multi-monitor desk solution. It's the Brenton Studio Zaida Collection desk...
    Last edited by spacechicken_bh; 2011-05-16 at 03:50 AM.

Damn that thing is tiny compared to mine. On that note, I fixed the link in my previous post >.>