how to record logs etc

ppl in my guild always forget to log fights can someone tell me what to type to do this and what folder it ends up in

Download and open the World of Logs client here

Open WoW and type: /combatlog

Next, locate the log folder in your wow directory and set the World of Logs client to it, it's usually "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Logs"

Start a new log and you're done.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Hello, just as a quick followup since I don't want to make a new thread just for it, is it necessary to delete the old log file before doing a /combatlog the next day again? Also, do I have to somehow end the recording by the end of the raid night or does logging off automatically close the file? Thanks.

I would suggest downloading the addon loggerhead, you can set it to automatically begin logging when you enter a raid zone. And yes, you need to delete the previous log before you start a new one. But if you dont, you can still open the text file and delete everything from the day you dont want to show up on the log.

no you dont have to delete the combat log, if you have several raids on it you simply open the wol client and split it.

and yeah, get loggerhead and you dont have to worry about anything, like forgetting to turn it on again if you relog/dc etc

I had actually written up a guide for one of my guild's member's yesterday for this. Here you go!

Most of these steps you only need to do the first time you get things set up.

First, you need to sign up for an account at World of Logs.

www.worldoflogs.com

Click "Register" in the upper-right and follow the instructions.

Once you've signed up, gotten the email, and verified your account, go back to the main page and sign in with your username/password.

Next, get to your guilds WoL page by finding it in the Realms list.

Once there, click on "(Join this guild)" Get in touch with whoever normally runs the guilds logs and tell them to approve you.

Once that is done, just bookmark the site so you can get back easily.

Now, at the beginning of your raid, you need to type /combatlog in the chat window. This starts a text file that will record everything. At the end of the raid, exit WoW completely, then go to the World of Logs site.

On the upper right of the site is a link that says "Client". Click that, download the file, then run it. Enter your World of Logs user/pass and then click "Test Account Settings". Then click the button that says "Find/Test and save"

After this, you should see three big buttons. Click the one that says "Open a file." if it doesn't take you to the right folder automatically, you want to go to your Logs folder that's in the WoW folder. Pick the file "combatlog" and click OK. You'll go to some screen with a graph looking thing, then click "Upload".

It will do its thing for a minute, then ask if you want to split and archive the logs. Click yes. Then it will ask if you want to delete the combatlog file. Click yes.

That's it, you're all set, logs have been uploaded. Go to our website and you should see a link to them in the box on the lower right of the screen.

Now that you're all set, from then on you just have to make sure to do /combatlog at the beginning of the raid. Exit WoW when its finished, go to World of Logs, click client and download, then upload the logs just like you did before.

Easy peasy.
    Last edited by Saltypoison; 2011-05-13 at 09:14 PM.

The process explained by saltypoison is exactly what I do and how I've explained it to my guild

Deleted
    Protip that always catches me out: If you ever Disconnect/log out to save pot time/start new WoW Client, you'll have to start /combatlog again or it'll not continue to record. It's logical but I always forget

Quote Originally Posted by Conditional View Post
    Protip that always catches me out: If you ever Disconnect/log out to save pot time/start new WoW Client, you'll have to start /combatlog again or it'll not continue to record. It's logical but I always forget
    Haha, I do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Conditional View Post
    That's why I definitely prefer one of the already mentioned addons to do this for me.

most people are confused, but regarding WoL you have to make a .txt file called "WoWCombatLog.txt" and put it in your WoW/Logs folder. Then ingame just type /combatlog and voala.