Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Suggestion: Stop leaking email addresses to spammers

As far as I'm aware e-mail details are supposed to be private, but I've received a bunch of phishing e-mails lately with "WoW account suspension warning" etc. It's obviously this site, because I used a unique email address for it. I know your site is popular and therefore a target for hackers, and I know you wouldn't admit to it because you have a reputation to protect, but please try to do more to sort these embarrassing security breaches.

They're not selling or leaking this information to other companies. They're giving access to these companies, to their list & thusly your emails. They're not directly selling on your e-mail on, and it perfectly legal to claim they're not doing so.

It is a shame, but that is the way the world works.

Deleted
    I had those spam mails before i signed up here, so this is not where they are from, i also get from Rift, but i dont play that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornar View Post
    They're not selling or leaking this information to other companies. They're giving access to these companies, to their list & thusly your emails. They're not directly selling on your e-mail on, and it perfectly legal to claim they're not doing so.

It is a shame, but that is the way the world works.
    If companies are paying for that access then your email is being sold...
    Yes you are still the worst moderator on these forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    So unless you have a source besides your rectum, we'd appreciate if you didn't spread misinformation

I am using a unique e-mail for this website as well, and I don't get spammed with account suspension e-mails on it.

Tell about that to Sony, they are still trying to make their net work.

Fun Fact... MMO Champion was purchased by Curse.com. Curse is an AVID supporter of the gold buying and selling community as they still support and post their advertisements. Additionally on numerous occasions when I used to use Curse Client it would automatically update and install addons which had malacious content/keyloggers on it they were easily found by my virus protection but its still shady on their behalf to not prescan things posted on their site. Its just not smart to use ANY real life information when doing anything online.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripple View Post
    Fun Fact... MMO Champion was purchased by Curse.com. Curse is an AVID supporter of the gold buying and selling community as they still support and post their advertisements. Additionally on numerous occasions when I used to use Curse Client it would automatically update and install addons which had malacious content/keyloggers on it they were easily found by my virus protection but its still shady on their behalf to not prescan things posted on their site. Its just not smart to use ANY real life information when doing anything online.
    You mean they use google ad services who picks the ads and people who make the addons upload crap.

Yeah, definately their fault. Damn curse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Termy View Post
    You mean they use google ad services who picks the ads and people who make the addons upload crap.

Yeah, definately their fault. Damn curse.
    Afaik addons can't run any executable binary code, though I could be wrong. I get spam on my curse address too, but that's not a unique address so I can't pin it down to them. The client is still pretty nasty though. Makes me pine for the TBC days of wowace updater.

Deleted
    Assumptions do not make fact. Yes MMO-Champ was bought out by Curse, but Curse does not endorse gold selling/buying - adverts are automatically selected through a process, these adverts (esspecialy those by gold sellers) may have malicious Javascript and injects within them. I suggest you download ABP: Ad Blocker Plus for Mozilla Firefox, this'll get rid of all the adverts on pretty much anything you use = no more malicious injects through JavaScript adverts. Voila!

Quote Originally Posted by laserguns View Post
    As far as I'm aware e-mail details are supposed to be private, but I've received a bunch of phishing e-mails lately with "WoW account suspension warning" etc. It's obviously this site, because I used a unique email address for it. I know your site is popular and therefore a target for hackers, and I know you wouldn't admit to it because you have a reputation to protect, but please try to do more to sort these embarrassing security breaches.
    Again, I use one email address for certain things - I'm signed up to MMO-Champ and World of Warcraft through the same email address and yet - I get absolutely 0 Spam mail from any gold buying companies of phishers. I suggest you change your email address and stop using Windows Live Email. Try Googlemail! Once again, assumption does not make it fact.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditional View Post
    Again, I use one email address for certain things - I'm signed up to MMO-Champ and World of Warcraft through the same email address and yet - I get absolutely 0 Spam mail from any gold buying companies of phishers. I suggest you change your email address and stop using Windows Live Email. Try Googlemail! Once again, assumption does not make it fact.
    Also had Gmail since it was launched, I have yet to see any spam of any kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Termy View Post
    Also had Gmail since it was launched, I have yet to see any spam of any kind.
    I'm a firm hater of some of googles stuff (not sure if you've seen the conspiracy evil google on.. ironically, youtube) but that freaked me out, yet I will continue to use Gmail because I find it the most supreme email service provider out there. I've also used Fsmail, WLM and Freeserve, but I moved everything. Some people just need to move onto other emails and stop being lazy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditional View Post
    I'm a firm hater of some of googles stuff (not sure if you've seen the conspiracy evil google on.. ironically, youtube) but that freaked me out, yet I will continue to use Gmail because I find it the most supreme email service provider out there. I've also used Fsmail, WLM and Freeserve, but I moved everything. Some people just need to move onto other emails and stop being lazy.
    Uhh.. I'm using Gmail. It's an excellent service. Spam is nicely placed in the spam folder and false positives are extremely rare. Doesn't change the fact that spammers have the address in the first place though. And you really think Microsoft send details of their customers who are signed up to wow sites to phishing spammers?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know google are bastards, but as long as they provide a great service and don't screw me over, I don't mind

---------- Post added 2011-05-13 at 08:24 PM ----------

Uhh.. I'm using Gmail. It's an excellent service. Spam is nicely placed in the spam folder and false positives are extremely rare. Doesn't change the fact that spammers have the address in the first place though. And you really think Microsoft send details of their customers who are signed up to wow sites to phishing spammers?
    No but their spam filter is next to non-existant.

Just like to say, I'm another one getting spam on an address that I only use here. I create addresses for each website I sign up to so I can see where spam is coming from, and be able to block it without messing up my "proper" addresses.

Deleted
    What worries me is that you think Windows are aware of even care about your involvement with World of Warcraft, no - I was implying how flawed WLM and Windows is. I just checked my Gmail spam folder, I have 38 Spam emails, 30 of them being Virgin Wines (Which are all offers) and the rest aren't even spam, they're just things I really don't want to be bothered with such as political affiars and petitions I've signed in the past.

---------- Post added 2011-05-13 at 09:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by drdss View Post
    Just like to say, I'm another one getting spam on an address that I only use here. I create addresses for each website I sign up to so I can see where spam is coming from, and be able to block it without messing up my "proper" addresses.
    I'd require a total of 20 email address' in order to keep a single site per email. You must have a very light internet usage bandwidth and that's coming from someone in the Armed Forces.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    I have an email ONLY for MMOC and so far, no spam email.
    I use the same email address EVERYWHERE and I never get spam. So...am I doing something right or is everyone else doing something wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a junk email folder and this isn't a problem for me?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    I have an email ONLY for MMOC and so far, no spam email.
    This.

I have never had a spam email on that address, not one. So, it's obviously not mmoc.

Additionally on numerous occasions when I used to use Curse Client it would automatically update and install addons which had malacious content/keyloggers on it they were easily found by my virus protection but its still shady on their behalf to not prescan things posted on their site. Its just not smart to use ANY real life information when doing anything online.
    I call bullshit on this - I've been using the Curse Client for years, for a lot of addons and I've NEVER gotten a single keylogger, or w/e, off it during my entire duration of its use...

And I use several security measures if you think otherwise.