When is mind spike good in dungeons?

When would it be better to spam that instead of using dots? Trash mobs?

Anything that dies too fast for you to get more than a couple of DoT ticks on it, really.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Yeah, anything that doesn't have elite mob health (Twisted Spirits in ZG, Those Banshees that spawn from a player in SFK, etc.)

For me, it's typically when the trash mob has <100k hp left, assuming an average 10k dps. Or if the trash mob is not being attacked (people are busy attacking other targets), I'll dot it up even if it has <100k hp.

If it's a boss, it's never better to mind spike spam it. I've seen spriests treat mind spike like an execute spell and spam it <25% hp. By the time a boss gets low enough hp (like <100k), it's gonna die anyways, so don't even bother switching to spike.

10+ Year Old Account
    its on my actionbar but i never really use it a finishing SW death is usually enough + gives me mana when using the glyph

General rule of thumb:

If mob is:

Dying in less than 15 seconds: Mind Spike / Mind Blast

Dying in more than 15 seconds: DoTs / Regular rotation
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

10+ Year Old Account
    Any time you want to be bursty at the expense of your dot damage.

Everyone else has it exactly right. Less than 15 seconds and you're wasting mana/damage on something that won't last that long.

Shoot some dungeons I do nothing but mindspike spam because I'm lazy and tired.... it doesn't lower dps enough to anger the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfire View Post
    Shoot some dungeons I do nothing but mindspike spam because I'm lazy and tired.... it doesn't lower dps enough to anger the masses.
    I do this sometimes too, heehee. Don't do for raid trash though, they will notice and may chew you out. =x

Keep in mind, in a 5 man dungeon, you have 3.5 dps (with the tank), so if everyone's pulling about 10k (tank at maybe 5k), that's 35k dps from the group. If it's a high number of mobs, just used Mind Sear, but if it's one or two adds with maybe 200-300k or less health (especially if the group is all focused on one at a time), it's just not worth DoTing them up. Mind Spike is great for those situations because you'll usually be saving mana and doing more damage instead of wasting it on DoTs that get maybe 2-4 tics.

i see mind spike more as a pvp skill than anything :S

^Mind Spike is awesome for questing, especially dailies. Just about every mob dies to MSx3 + MB, with a SW:D for good measure (and mana).

usually adds with less than 100k hp are for mind spike. anything that dies in 5-10 seconds or less.

emp orbs+ mind sear owns for mobs now.

In PvP, Mind Spike is the new Icelance. Frost Priests are OP.