View Poll Results: Do you think the Acid in the eyes punishment is right?

Voters
784. This poll is closed
  • Yes

506 64.54%
  • No

278 35.46%
Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Yes, we've heard this extremely unintelligent argument plenty of times now, repeating it doesn't make it any less stupid.
    "My opinion is right, and everyone else's is wrong!"

Eye for an eye. They had this law for a reason. It's to deter people from doing crimes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Watch the trolling/flaming in this thread guys. Keeping a close eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    too bad it's not.

it's the right thing to do, if people would realize you hit someone, you'll be hit back

and you know people hate getting hit back.

this should stop the crimes ect happening since you'll get it back.
    I disagree. It's better to try and solve the root cause for people behaving like they do than to just make it standard practice to let people retaliate when they are wronged. Revenge serves no purpose, since what has been done cannot be undone. It will eventually lead to utter anarchy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EndAging View Post
    we MUST find the most peaceful ways to keep people safe. if there is an option between peace and violence, pick peaceful measures.
    imprisonment for very long time - forever VS. blinding someone. which is more peaceful?
    Let's get something straight. Violent people DO NOT respond to peaceful solutions. Just like criminals generally do not respond to prison. They get out, and do the SAME DAMN S&*^ THEY DID TO GET LOCKED UP IN THE FIRST PLACE! AGAIN!

You sell drugs to someone? You should get loaded up on them until you overdose. If it doesn't kill you, maybe you'll see what you are doing to other people and why it's considered a crime to do so.

You kill someone? You should have to watch as that person's next closest family member kills off the closest member of your family. Barbaric? Sure. But guess what, you suffer the pain of loss, MAYBE you'll get the hint that it's not cool to kill others. Actually, nah, just let them kill you unless you kill more than one person, THEN you hsould have to watch as they kill off members of your family before you die. That might actually teach OTHER people not to kill.

You rape seven women? You should get raped by seven men. Or broomsticks. Whichever might be more humiliating and/or painful. Bet once you see what rape feels like, you won't want to rape anyone else will you.

You toss acid on someone's face? You get acid tossed on yours. Seems pretty fair. Maybe you won't do that again.

Let's be honest, people who do such things do it without a. any consideration of their actions upon others or b. no remorse of the consequences. I say let them see what their actions are doing, then maybe lessons will be learned.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    too bad it's not.

it's the right thing to do, if people would realize you hit someone, you'll be hit back

and you know people hate getting hit back.

this should stop the crimes ect happening since you'll get it back.
    Should stop??? That's your argument? Then why isn't it stopping it? Countries with severe punishments also have some of the highest crime rates. This has been pointed out many times already. A mentally unstable person doesn't care about your intimidation.

Quote Originally Posted by Whispers of Death View Post
    And you'd say judges who execute criminals who deserve it are psycopaths as well? The fact is this man also made various threats to that woman, which also deserves some sort of justice.
    Unless there are judges out there who leap over their table and bash a man's brains out in the middle of the court room, then your comparison is invalid.

The man in question deserves to be punished. Hell, he may even deserve to be killed (I still say life is a right that no man deserves to take, no matter what). But to inflict onto him what he did to others is just wrong.

Look at it this way... he blinds your friend. In a fit of revenge, you blind him. Congratulations, you're now down on his level. Oh, and look out. His friend is coming to blind you just like you did for your friend.

Once again: an eye for an eye just leaves everyone blind. Be the better man, not the bitter monster.

Quote Originally Posted by The Internet View Post
    "My opinion is right, and everyone else's is wrong!"

Eye for an eye. They had this law for a reason. It's to deter people from doing crimes.
    Again, repeating your mindless phrase doesn't make it any more true. Btw. they also burned witches for a reason in the past. It was to deter people from doing witchcraft.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    If burning his eyes out brought the victim's eyes back, you might have a case.

It won't though. So what does it accomplish?
    It might prevent next idiot from trowing down bucket of acid in someone else face.
    You're talking about vengeance, not human rights.
    What ever you call it, if it will prevent next person from doing harm to someone else, if the know what would happen to them.

Women are all skanks, she deserves to be blind.

User was infracted for this post.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-05-14 at 05:53 PM.

I'm not argueing for revenge. I'm argueing for TEACHING. If a kid does something bad, and you don't want them doing it again. You punish them. Ever seen that kid that when he gets put in the "corner" for "time out" screams and gets mad instead of learning his lesson? That's prison. Prison only works on people who know they did something wrong. Time outs only work when the child doesn't want to do wrong and doesn't want to dissapoint you. I don't think that someone capable of throwing a bucket of acid in a woman's face is scared of dissapointing anyone.

An eye for an eye doesn't teach him to be a constructive member of society, but neither does prison. It teaches him the pain and horror he inflicted upon his victim. It teaches him that he is not the master of society, and that he is no better than anyone else. It breaks him and makes him vulnerable. He threw the acid on that woman because he thought he was a better man. He thought that he was above her and his life was worth more and that he probably wouldn't get in trouble. Murderers, rapists, all think the same. They think that their pleasure is worth more than this other person's pain. They have to be taken down a notch, off of their pedastle, before they can be taught anything. Prison doesn't do this. At all. And those saying "Life in prison" are being counter intuitive. What's the point in rehabing someone if they never leave and rot in a cell?

Deleted
    This is their system of law, where She has the right to ask for "an Eye for an Eye" justice.
    Does it make it right. in there customs yes it does, and we should respect there customs as we would have them respect ours.
    is it cruel and unusual to our way of life ? undoubtedly, but then we have different customs and laws to theirs.

People need to stop looking at it as a cruel punishment, there are far more cruel punishments that happen in western society, example a poor man got sentenced to life imprisonment due to 3rd strike law in California for stealing food because he was hungry, only to be released 13 years later. Think about it THIRTEEN years for being so hungry he was forced to steal, and this in a country which has more food than any other country in the world.
    http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2...ke_release.php

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I'm not blinded by emotions. I feel that the punishment system should be more in line with the action on the severe cases of violence. And I do so thoughtfully and without hate of any kind.

I also believe that a criminal gives up of his rights when he willingly does his activities and the earliel "attacking someone should be like flagging into PvP" phrase was rather fitting.

Edit: And if that makes me a horrible person, so be it. From my eyes, modern day pathetic laws and the way criminals are treated is violence against the victim.
    You're correct. When a person afflicts unconsentual violence towards another, he does not respect the rights of his victim, thus respecting his rights becomes questionable.

However, blinding a man does not benefit anyone in any way. Removing him from society through incarceration does.

The Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Again, repeating your mindless phrase doesn't make it any more true. Btw. they also burned witches for a reason in the past. It was to deter people from doing witchcraft.
    And the same to your mindless phrase as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    You kill someone? You should have to watch as that person's next closest family member kills off the closest member of your family. Barbaric? Sure. But guess what, you suffer the pain of loss, MAYBE you'll get the hint that it's not cool to kill others. Actually, nah, just let them kill you unless you kill more than one person, THEN you hsould have to watch as they kill off members of your family before you die. That might actually teach OTHER people not to kill.
    Why should my family be murdered because of my actions? They've done nothing wrong. How is that justice?

15+ Year Old Account
    29 pages in so nobody will see it, but...

In many parts of the Middle East, "honor killing" is actually legal.

In the Middle East, there have been numerous cases of "acid attacks" against women and children in the last several years. There were over 800 acid attacks in just one district of Pakistan in 2010.

In Iran, women's rights are abysmal and, frankly, it's amazing that the ruling even turned out in her favor.

If you haven't seen the woman, she wasn't just blinded. She was horribly mutilated. She looks like Clayface from Batman, with an empty left eye socket.

I also don't think the woman should do it. That's revenge. All I'm saying is, prison doesn't work. Not on people who are inertly violent. There's no quick simple therapy you can do to make him cry and say sorry and be that woman's seeing eye dog the rest of her life. He's lowered himself to an animal's level. I agree that if you take someone else's rights, yours are forfeit, to the government. For a punishment to be weighed in court. But it shouldn't be prison or a damn slap on the wrist. It'll solve nothing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    29 pages in so nobody will see it, but...

In many parts of the Middle East, "honor killing" is actually legal.

In the Middle East, there have been numerous cases of "acid attacks" against women and children in the last several years. There were over 800 acid attacks in just one district of Pakistan in 2010.

In Iran, women's rights are abysmal and, frankly, it's amazing that the ruling even turned out in her favor.

If you haven't seen the woman, she wasn't just blinded. She was horribly mutilated. She looks like Clayface from Batman, with an empty left eye socket.
    Yes that's horrible, but that doesn't warrant pouring acid on him as revenge. Just remove a person who clearly is not fit to live within their society by throwing him in jail.

It's a 50/50 from me, to be fair he totally deserves it but at the same time it's inhumane.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixup View Post
    Why should my family be murdered because of my actions? They've done nothing wrong. How is that justice?
    How is it justice that you killed six people and all you get is life in prison? What, the victims aren't innocent? They didn't do anything wrong, either.

Again, you look at the short term of "this is about me and nothing else". I look at the long term of "this is about what the next guy who thinks of shooting someone for funsies might consider now, because maybe he doesn't want to see his mom or sister die in the process".

When criminals have to actually realize that their actions have consequences that can affect them in ways they don't want to be affected, then they stop committing crimes.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Elgar View Post
    Holy crap - I hope you're a troll! The alternative - that you believe your judicial system should deliberately kill innocents in order to deter others from murder - is frankly unthinkable.
    Yeah... I don't agree with that... Stop hurting our side, man

Clarification: I don't agree with fenixdown. I agree with you, elgar. On this point.