View Poll Results: Do you think the Acid in the eyes punishment is right?

Voters
784. This poll is closed
  • Yes

506 64.54%
  • No

278 35.46%
Page 35 of 54 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    According to whom? Who was keeping track of the drug sales at the time?
    Who is keeping track of them now? Someone who is completely trustworthy, and would never lie about something to preserve the national image, am I right?
    According to that logic, nobody in the world is trustworthy and nothing can be trust until you personally see and check everything.
    I wander how did you study in school, if you had to reinvent every formula and all nature laws etc.

Oh, here's little bit info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal...ublic_of_China

Quote Originally Posted by lightofdawn View Post
    only because its the same thing that he had done to her, but if it was because he like, idk stole some bread, then no
    Of course, the punishment should fit the crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    Keep preaching being passive while I watch crime rates continue to rise. Enjoy your world.
    Keep preaching being a savage while I watch humanity's social progress become indolent, or even slowly regress, rather than grow. Enjoy your world.

Hey guys. I think Manson, you know, helter skelter? has really reformed. His councelors say he's doing great and he's sorry. I think we should let him back out into society. Nevermind the fact that he was a good enough liar to get people to kill for him, I think he's honest about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nos View Post
    Who's to say that this doesn't have a better chance of causing him to see the error in his ways, and thus accept his own punishment and make the most of his life?
    But what kind of life is it? A man with sight seeing the error of his ways and contributing to society to repay even the tiniest bit of his debt is still better than a blind man seeing the error of his ways but being able to do nothing about it, spending the rest of his life sucking up tax money to support his wretched and miserable existance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dantian View Post
    I... kind of agree. Or at least I don't think the state should be in the business of handing out these sorts of verdicts, even if on a personal level I think he completely has it coming (which he fucking does).
    Of COURSE he has it comming, and you could make a damn good case of him deserving every bit of it, but if you lower yourself to his level then you are no better. And the justice system has to be less barbaric than the criminals, or all you have left is injustice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pour the acid down his throat, instead of into his eyes. Sick bastard.
    ill probably be infracted for this post

There were a couple of guys saying "Well what would YOU do if the victim was yourself/your sister/mother"?

Well alright let's see what the victim would actually do.
    Bahrami, whose hands, neck and face were also disfigured in the attack, said she did not want to take revenge, but wanted to "prevent it from happening to someone else."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...74D0NN20110514

The victim herself DOES NOT want revenge.

Deleted
    Blinding by acid won't turn back time. I am not sure what is fair but I know that harsh punishment for people like him would deter similar crimes in the future even if it is to a small extent.

Quote Originally Posted by wed View Post
    That's one of the rare cases that I can agree with the bible: An eye for an eye. In this case two.
    agreeing with the bible? Doesnt it say turn the other cheek too?
    Not that he shouldnt be punished, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Oh, how esoteric and deep. The constant (mis)use of ellipses really make you sound profound, too.

My question was rhetorical. The method by which you propose to 'correct' the problem is incapable of doing so.
    To use your 'million star fish' analogy; what you suggest is, instead of trying to throw them back, you should throw a million more onto the beach. That is what 'an eye for an eye' accomplishes. In a simple mathematical term, it doubles the casualties.

Therefore, your position has no inherent logic.
    I already stated that the cycle is incapable of ending, all you can do is offer peace of mind to the victim. The best possible solution of course would be to return eyesight to the victim, that won't happen. The perpetrator's fate is in the hands of who it should be.

A personal attack.
    Clearly you have succeeded, I'm sorry that my grammar offends you.

By the way, the device I am using is meant to cause pause.

An ellipses is three dots, the reason for my ".." (two dots) is not an implication of an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    #1 The POINT was that even if something is unlikely (in this case reform), you shouldn't stop striving for it. I didn't realise that I had to spell it out for you.

#2 No. Someone's life is not ruined unless it is beyond fixing. My way means he can be let out of prison if he shows that he is repentant and has served his sentence. Your way leaves his life ruined permanently.

#3 I'm sorry, is this a thread for discussing word definitions? Justice without any chance of reforming someone isn't justice, it is at best disposal of a problem, at worse revenge.
    #1 My point is, there's a big difference in devoting personal time and effort to a goal of flight is alot different than endangering a population by trying to give someone a second chance.

#2 You're taking away the vast majority of his life. What's he going to do when he gets out? The world will have changed. There's just as much chance of him becoming a successful blind person. Their lives aren't worthless.

#3 Your definition of justice includes that. Everyone elses is just justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    Keep preaching being passive while I watch crime rates continue to rise. Enjoy your world.
    so throwing acid is getting commonplace?

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Context, you lump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenryusho View Post
    We don't have enough information to decide this kind of thing. For all we know she's killed hundreds of travelers and buried them somewhere unknown, and he was following orders of a malevolent higher power holding the world hostage. You see we can't properly calculate the util value of this punishment until we know all the facts beyond a shadow of a doubt.
    I vote this as one of the stupidest statements in the entire thread. Yeah lets make up so theoretical "crime" this evil lady might have done, so we can justify not punishing this "poor misguided" male that dumped a bucket of acid on her. People like you make me want to throw up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maxchum View Post
    According to that logic, nobody in the world is trustworthy and nothing can be trust until you personally see and check everything.
    I wander how did you study in school, if you had to reinvent every formula and all nature laws etc.

Oh, here's little bit info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal...ublic_of_China
    According to your logic, countries with a long history of misinformation/lying should be trusted at face value, especially in spite of evidence to the contrary.

http://www.illuminatedlantern.com/ci...ves/triads.php
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14K_Triad
    http://www.haunted-memories.net/wiki...ads/14K_Triads

The 14K triad is one of the largest opium/heroin smuggling operations in the world. So much for the death penalty as an effective deterrent.

Well an eye for an eye used to serve societies quite well in older times and quite frankly we cant call ourselves civilised when crime, riots, terrorism, financial difficulties and much much more plunder us for many many years.

Anyway in a perfect world things like this one would be sentenced before someone would even think them but our world is far from perfect.

Just last week USA assasinated Bin Laden for example and bragged about it. Did they have a point? Yes they did. Was that correct? If we say yes then we need to accept what happened here also as normal. Not to mention the fact that death sentence is still in place on many countries all over the world etc.

The crimes are different ofc but the essence of an eye for an eye pretty much stays the same.

I am just dissapointed we live in such a world. I dont mean only the world which allows an eye for an eye sentence but on a world where a stalker can run around throwing acid on a woman's face.

agreeing with the bible? Doesnt it say turn the other cheek too?
    Not that he shouldnt be punished, but still...
    Bible also details the death penalty as a just punishment... From god, not the hebrews. But I was trying not to bring religion into this.

---------- Post added 2011-05-14 at 01:48 PM ----------

Worst. Logic. Statement. Ever.

Deleted
    No just because someone did something you do not have to go down to the same levenl as said person, a really long time in jail should be fine. I can see no reason to do it, just like death punishment i think it is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    Well an eye for an eye used to serve societies quite well in older times and quite frankly we cant call ourselves civilised when crime, riots, terrorism, financial difficulties and much much more plunder us for many many years.

Anyway in a perfect world things like this one would be sentenced before someone would even think them but our world is far from perfect.

Just last week USA assasinated Bin Laden for example and bragged about it. Did they have a point? Yes they did. Was that correct? If we say yes then we need to accept what happened here also as normal.

The crimes are different ofc but the essence of an eye for an eye pretty much stays the same.

I am just dissapointed we live in such a world. I dont mean only the world which allows an eye for an eye sentence but on a world where a stalker can run around throwing acid on a woman's face.
    These bleeding hearts here would probably say that Bin Laden should have been jailed for his crimes. MAYBE HE CAN BE REHABILITATED!

Seriously disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturehaze View Post
    No just because someone did something you do not have to go down to the same levenl as said person, a really long time in jail should be fine. I can see no reason to do it, just like death punishment i think it is stupid.
    Unless he dies in jail, it's useless punishment. Then again, jail over there may include torture (maybe not direct).