Thread: AMD Build

10+ Year Old Account

Question AMD Build

Long time reader first time poster. Just wanted to see what everyone thought of my upcoming build. I'm trying to save money where I can hence the AMD build and everything because I'm going have to buy a monitor with everything as well. Will be used for gaming and also for my girlfriend to do a little of everything on. So, any suggestions or feedback is much appreciated.

Case: (Undecided) Cooler Master HAF 922 or Antec 900
    MOBO: ASUS M4A87TD EVO
    GPU: EVGA GTX 460 1 GB 256-bit
    PSU: Corsair 650W (Everyone gives amazing reviews for Corsair's PSU's; why I chose them)
    CPU: AMD Phenom xII 955 Black Edition
    RAM: G. Skills Ripjaw (2x2GB)
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3

It's around $700 before a monitor, which I have yet to decide. But, I'm willing to go upwards of the $700 mark if it's really gonna be worth it. That's why I'm trying to have a little of a budget. Hence, why I'm going AMD. I've done some research and I believe most of these items should do the trick with what I want for it. I know the PSU is probably overkill, but friends recommended it and didn't know if I'd be able to skate by with a 500W. Any feedback and suggestions are appreciated. Also, to lazy to link everything right now... my bad.
    Last edited by D Brisc; 2011-05-14 at 10:11 PM.
    What you see going by is a shadow; you gotta live in front of your eyes.

Deleted
    I think your CPU is still only a dual-core, which would be kind of a waste. Most quad-cores don't cost any more so getting an AMD X4 CPU would go a long way.

Yes, 500 Watts PSU would easily suffice but it would probably only save you a few dollars. Other than that, the GPU is a good choice and most other stuff doesn't really matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 955 is a Quad Core.

This is probably better for you.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-094-_-Product
    The 650W Corsair you choose (I'm assuming it's a 650TX ) has about 52A on the 12V rail and your system won't use more than 28A.
    The difference in the price isn't huge though, so if you get the 650TX go for it, but you should know that it's a big overkill for this kind of system.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-05-14 at 10:34 PM.

How much is that setup comming at, €/$ wise?
    You could probably fit an i5 2400 there and still be within the budget while considerably increasing your processing power and socket longevity.

10+ Year Old Account
    The setup is around 700 before a monitor and other stuff I may pick up. I'd like to keep it around that. Maybe, up to about 800 or so. And ya, I know that 650W is overkill was just looking at corsair at the time because everyone swears by them. And, didn't know if 500W would cut it at the time.
    What you see going by is a shadow; you gotta live in front of your eyes.