Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thane View Post
    how about doors? :P
    lol

Windows 7

Deleted
    eh.

OS X is really easy to work with, if you want to change something in the system config there's usually a very large button for it that isn't hidden in 300 submenus, that being said my stationary is a PC with windows 7 and tbf I don't really see that big of a difference in using windows 7 or OS X on a day to day basis outside of system configuration where OS X really just blows win7 out of the water with stupidly easy configuration and auto-complete options.

windows 7 now comes with way more stable drivers thanks to microsoft signing each and everyone of them which puts microsoft on par with apple when it comes to drivers. no more praying your drivers do not quit on you

so all in all, if my grandparents were alive and I was buying them a computer, I'd definitely give them something with OS X as it's really all point and click if you want to configure something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grymgroeth View Post
    If you don't try to actually do anything with it, yes Vista will run great on decent (doesn't need good even) hardware but I can tell you from repeated experience as a power user and tech of nearly 25 years, Vista earned its rep for trouble several times over. 7 is stable, XP is adequate for what 90% of the people buying computers today will use them for. Words of advice in regards to MS operating systems: don't touch a new release for at least the first year, turn off automatic updates immediately after validation, make frequent backups.
    Xp is no longer supported by MS, you cant buy it new anymore

And win 7 has been great since day one

Windows 7

Because it's easy, smooth and works fine.

---------- Post added 2011-05-15 at 10:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Focal View Post
    I'm using Vista, I love it, xp was awesome, don't really care for Win 7.
    Vista is like the fugly brunette and Windows 7 like the hot blonde you've always wanted to bang..

I'm really liking windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Because most programs are 32-bit anyway.
    I'm under the impression a 32bit is only able to allocate approximately 2gb RAM, not including the various tricks available to exceed that.
    Is that a wrong impression?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lywyu View Post
    Not in the slightest.
    The Kernel in Windows 7 originated from Windows Vista along with many of the functions for the OS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I'm under the impression a 32bit is only able to allocate approximately 2gb RAM, not including the various tricks available to exceed that.
    Is that a wrong impression?
    Depends on the OS. For example all x86 versions of Win7 bar starter have a limit of 4GB (starter has a 2GB limit). A couple of the Win Server2008 versions x86 have a limit of 64GB. OSX Snow Leopard has a hybrid kernel so it can recognise the same silly amount as a 64bit kernel but function at points as a 32bit kernel.

I love kernels.

Except when they panic

On topic I prefer OSX as my day to day PC (music/movies/internet/photoshop/some development here and there). I would go over to Win7 side more if it actually could make a build environment for Android. At the moment I only use Win7 for gaming, as that is really the only thing going for it apart from being cheaper than OSX.
    Last edited by mmoc05c338f655; 2011-05-15 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freakinweirdo View Post
    I use Linux, MacOS, and Windows all quite a bit.

I use Linux for work (I'm a database consultant), and my internal servers in my network.

Windows for my gaming machine, I hate windows (even 7) but it's the easiest way to run games without fighting with Wine in Linux. I just got a Macbook Pro and am enjoying the OS on it quite a bit, but mainly because it's very *nix reminiscent and I can easily do stuff on the command line like I'm used to with Linux.

But my main OS is Linux, I'm a big fan of Gentoo. But even in the Linux world, I hate some distro's (anything debian, especially Ubuntu).
    <3 Gentoo. I currently only use it on my gateway machine, but i've used it on my old netbook and my desktop in the past. If I ever build a Sandy Bridge Machine, i'll likely try to dual boot Gentoo on the machine in my sig.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    Xp is no longer supported by MS, you cant buy it new anymore

And win 7 has been great since day one
    Seriously? I do this for a living. XP SP2 support ended June 2010, SP3 abd 64 bit are supported (and available on new machines) until 2014. Please don't talk trash when you're clueless.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lp/end-support

10+ Year Old Account
    Felt great switching from Win 98 to windows 2000 since the latter didn't feature "BSOD of the day" whenever a program crashed.

Multiple CPU core performance seem just awful with Win XP. It seems to always want all software to run on core 0 and 1 if the program itself doesn't have some manual Process Affinity set to it.

Switching to Windows 7 on our i7 machines at work compared to when having XP made a huge difference in core management and performance overall. Another place where Windows 7 prevails is when it's pre-fetching programs to the RAM. I don't have to wait (as much) for a program to start when using W7.

No.. XP should die off now. It's not made for modern hardware, face it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grymgroeth View Post
    Seriously? I do this for a living. XP SP2 support ended June 2010, SP3 abd 64 bit are supported (and available on new machines) until 2014. Please don't talk trash when you're clueless.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lp/end-support
    Well it's not full fat support but extended support. So your both kinda right.