Question regarding Unicorn Chaud build this month

Hi All,

This question is specified at Chaud specifically regarding his latest unicorn build. looks great, but i have found what might be a potential flaw.

the CPU you state is a Intel i7-2600k. the ram you specify is 8GB G.Skill DDR3 12800

Issue here is the CPU specified can only do DDR3-1066 AND 1333, not 1600 speed ram.

for reference.. edit: had to remove out intel link, but i just googled the cpu linked to amazon.

Question being, is this a mistake, or is the CPU still able to read the ram, but at a slower rate?

Thanks.

Deleted
    The RAM will work with the CPU, it will just be clocked down to 1333

P67 chipset supports RAM up to 2133MHz, so having it higher speed than 1333MHz doesn't really hurt anything, but it wont do any good either unless you're overclocking.

Bigger problem in the Unicorn build is the Intel 320 SSD which is slower than the year old Vertex 2 in the Narwhal list.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Cool - thought this may be the case. and realistically.. an i7 running at 3.4Ghz doesnt exactly need overclocking anyway. so im better off getting 1333ghz ram for cheaper, and saving a few pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by Faaip View Post
    Cool - thought this may be the case. and realistically.. an i7 running at 3.4Ghz doesnt exactly need overclocking anyway. so im better off getting 1333ghz ram for cheaper, and saving a few pennies.
    For WoW the faster clockspeed turns into faster minimum framerate in 25-man raids at 1:1 ratio. 10% overclock is 10% faster minimum fps you'll see while playing WoW, so it's not to be dismissed that easily. For other games it doesn't make that much difference.

Because of supply and demand you usually have best price/GB ratio with 1600MHz 2x4GB kits (mainly G.Skill brand), so there's no point to go for 1333MHz blindly. Instead look around for what's available in your area.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

If you are wasting money on a 2600k already then you may as well get the 1600 RAM! 2500k is all that is really needed for gaming.

fair enough, but i wont be using it for just gaming - also some virtualization i do on the side, but definately agreed chaud.

Quote Originally Posted by Faaip View Post
    fair enough, but i wont be using it for just gaming - also some virtualization i do on the side, but definately agreed chaud.
    HT processors are bad for virtualization, you need real cores for it.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    HT processors are bad for virtualization, you need real cores for it.
    Somewhat Agreed and i wasnt explicitly implying otherwise, it was more about building an affordable rig that i can do a bit of gaming on, and also testing on, in which i think the unicorn build does do well! For the record in regards to virtualization, there is nothing wrong with hyperthreading when using esx, but i would never choose it over physical cores.Since about ESX 4.1 theyve made signficant improvements to the CPU scheduler that utilizes HT a lot better than it ever used to

Anyway! question answered and i thank you all for the help
    Last edited by Faaip; 2011-05-16 at 02:59 PM.