Thread: Seriously Rift?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    Listen guy.... If you don't like it, don't play it.

There is a 200 some page thread already about Rift. Bring your tears there.
    this is a bit different from the other QQ threads, he is willing to try something new, and not bashing WoW.
    all in all a very thoughtful post,
    I believe he meant to ask, Does the cloning stop?
    answer is yes and no...there are elements which are cloning, then there are a few new things, possibly cloned from another game...
    who knows... but rift was okay for a little while, I still like wow more myself.

give the guy some points for not being scared of something new, or bashing the new / old.

Quote Originally Posted by Auralan View Post
    I really hope that all you guys realize that WoW got most of it's basic structure from Everquest...
    and EQ got a ton of its elements from myst and UO,
    and screw leveling a druid in that game, way to many materials to fill your bags to the brim for any end game stuff, can barely pick up anything new.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

I have played many, many, MMOs. I started with Zelda online(later renamed Graal), Tibia, and Ultima online.

In 1999 I moved on to Everquest on release day and it was completely innovative. Everquest was a revolutionary product that made the MMO market what it was today. It copied very very little from previous MMOs, most of which were very basic concepts that can't really be considered copying(blacksmithing, tradeskills in general etc). Alot of its idea's still haven't been outdone to date(Alternate Advancement). It created the Tank - Damage - Heal - Support roles we all know and love/hate.

I picked up WoW in beta testing, and started playing it on release date in 2004. It was as much a "complete" copy as you are claiming Rift to be. I chose to play it instead of everquest for the little tweaks that made it for me more enjoyable at the time. Everquest was a very difficult to play game casually, whereas Wow saw this failing and while they did copy the vast majority of their concepts they improved upon the ones that were negatively affecting the vast majority of the MMO player base. This player base was the casual player base and it didn't play Everquest very long because of the time investment involved and the difficulty of the game itself. Losing levels when you die? Losing all your equipment if you couldn't save your body within the time period? If they implemented that it wow the players, even the hardcore players, would revolt.

Rift, I played during early beta phases and am now swapped to full time from wow. It is very similar to wow yes, but the concepts people keep attributing to it as stolen from wow are not from wow. Every aspect listed by the OP is an idea that came from Everquest or Everquest 2 before wow implemented it. Wow was and is hands down the most successful MMO in history and thats not going to change for awhile. They did this by bringing in millions of customers into the genre. Unfortunately this combined with the general downgrade of player base in general means that everything gets bashed as a copy of wow. Even posts like this will fail to make people see that reasonably the statement of copying wow is ridiculous.

Rift did not copy wow, it copied the genre and improved upon it. The features they have added, when viewed subjectively are great additions to the genre and I honestly hope that the next great MMO of the future takes these aspects to heart when they are making their game. Wow did this and was rewarded for it, unfortunately they have been king so long that they have stopped listening to their players. They are pricks on the forums, useless at any real customer service reply in the vast majority of tickets, are very slow at releasing new content and reuse old content to mask this. The worst part is alot of wow players defend them.

Bring on the TL;DR, I wont be revisiting this to read them lol. I wanted to say my 2 cents and that being done I am going to play Rift.

i liked rift but there are some big issues atlest in my mind,

1, tanking is so annoying to get started it is beyond me that there are ppl who where able to start tanking

2, No addons still?! really they said they where gonna work hard on it, i want to remove almost all of the texures and get a dps and threat meter plz!

3, ok where are the intresting ppl with a brain and a diffrent view, this one can just be bad luck for me but the ppl i met in rift where kinda douch bag or really really dumb ppl, nobody with a brain and a diffrent view i could talk about intersting stuff with

4, i got some odd issue where they couldn't draw the monthly bill from my debit card and i didn't feel like fixing it

so if your not gonna tank, you got a brain, you willing to sit down for a few hours once your lvl caped and figure out how you want to play and what is the best to play with your class and you got a good group of ppl to play with this game is really good

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    and EQ got a ton of its elements from myst and UO,
    There is an interesting thread at MMORPG about MMO features and who did it first. It is a good read and worth looking at.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf...-it-first.html

Quote Originally Posted by Brandoh View Post
    the funniest part of this thread is the fact that all the over reacting rift fanboys were wrong.....

thread still aint locked.
    I'm not a fanboy, I quit playing. Yet I still defend what they're doing because I see no wrong in it.

But if I am a "fanboy" of rift, tell me where I was wrong.

why wouldnt anyone want to clone wow, there making millions upon millions of dollars everyone month just from subs, but on the fact of rift i actually quite liked it until i had to grind 2 levels and couldnt really be bothered, the game willmjust get better its only been out for what 5months - to wows 7years

Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    Because a company can't learn from their mistakes and GW1 is the same as GW2?
    Do some searching before sprouting bullshit.
    Well no Trion has to be perfect in 2 months with more content and polish then games that have been out 8 years. The simple fact is Rift > Guild Wars which is why you never here about that Niche game where it took them 5 years for you to be able to jump.

I have little faith in the B2P model and Arenanet being too slow to make this generation of players even remotely happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Well no Trion has to be perfect in 2 months with more content and polish then games that have been out 8 years. The simple fact is Rift > Guild Wars which is why you never here about that Niche game where it took them 5 years for you to be able to jump.

I have little faith in the B2P model and Arenanet being too slow to make this generation of players even remotely happy.
    I dont know.... I hated GW1. GW2 on the other hand played EXTREMELY nice at PAX. I will be giving it a chance since it is nowhere NEAR the same game.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    I dont know.... I hated GW1. GW2 on the other hand played EXTREMELY nice at PAX. I will be giving it a chance since it is nowhere NEAR the same game.
    I need far far far farrrrrrrrr more actual game play footage before you ever see me change my opinion on how viable that game is. Show me vids of 100 people on the same screen with a medium machine, then I might jump on the band wagon.

I am slightly hesitant after getting shit on by NCSoft for 16 months with Aion to ever fund any their projects ever again

10+ Year Old Account
    You really haven't played any other Mmo other than WoW right?
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    This same topic has been posted and discussed numerous times. There isn't much of a point to have the same thread provoking another 'this is better than that'
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right