Shoddy internet connection, who's problem?

Internet was fine until Wednesday when it first went offline while playing World of Warcraft.

Now yesterday, I took up playing Heroes of Newerth. The internet connection would drop every hour or two for about a minute and a half and go back up magically.

No variance in latency through all this, feels like 100 ms constant.

That evening I was browsing videos, and as I started doing that, the connection would drop every few minutes...

I look at the modem and the lights for "power, receive, send, online - activity" are on but the standby light is off. I push the standby button and all but the standby button are OFF.

Is the problem with the provider (nothing I can do but call them), or my end?

15+ Year Old Account
    standby means that the modem isn't "on". It's like having the TV off where the power light is amber instead of green or whatever.

Turning the modem all the way off instead of putting it on standby would mean it has to re-calibrate and re-connect itself when you wanted to use it next, instead of the instant-on it has with standby
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There could be a few things with your network card but conisdering the problem just started to occur, most likely not the issue.

Are you connected to another router (Wireless/or not)? If so disconnect and if possible try connecting directly to your modem. If your modem is wireless, forget that.

1) After you isolate that it isn't your router... There should be a small reset button on the back of your modem, hit it and allow the modem to completely restart before testing.

2) If this doesn't work and the problem still continues call your ISP. They might have you do step 1 again... (Doh!) Ask them to run a line check.

3) Ask for a technician to check out your setup and local lines, maybe even a bad socket. (Possible faulty modem)

I've had a problem with my ISP and there was a problem with a line leading through my neighbourhood. If they say there end is fine then go back into your network settings and google possible fixes from there. Hope that helps. gl.
    Last edited by Bonesjr; 2011-05-17 at 04:54 AM.