Deleted

Tempted to change build.

I was going to go with a phenom 965 with a mediocre mobo. But after reducing certain components, down to a 500GB HDD but sata 6gb. So the Mobo is the Asus P8H61 PRO REV 3.0 (B3) and the i3 2100, the gpu is the Asus 6870 DCU edition.

So what do you think? The AMD build or the Intel? I'll be using this as a work PC as well, but not much video encoding/rendering and the rest of the time as a gaming PC. I'm leaning intel, mainly because the Mobo range is much better than most of the AMD ones available to me right now.

Honestly, I'd go for a lower-end P67 motherboard just for the sole fact that you can upgrade some time down the road to an unlocked ("K" series) CPU and overclock it, which would be a badass upgrade. Something like the MSI P67A-C43 paired with your i3 2100 and you'll be flying along with some great upgrade paths down the road (especially since early Ivy Bridge CPUs will use the same socket).

Nice choice in the GPU, too. 6870 is a great card and the DirectCU cooling is faaaaantastic.

I am not familiar with the AMD. I used to run AMD but have become an intel fanboy since the i7's came along. I do try to be objective though and use cpubenchmark.net for some benchmark values as well as reading reviews in making my decisions.

With that in mind, you dont see any AMD chips in the top 40 benchmarks. Now obviously this isnt the best benchmarking and it certainly isnt the end all be all. But it does give a starting point and allows me to see all the chips and research from that point.

If you do choose the 2100, I would suggest getting the "k" for unlocked overclocking and appropriate mobo. the $ diff is all value in my eyes.

**on another note, the nvidia 560ti is supposed to be released tomorrow. It should compare to like the 470-480 fermi cards if I recall correctly. May want to research those.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
    **on another note, the nvidia 560ti is supposed to be released tomorrow. It should compare to like the 470-480 fermi cards if I recall correctly. May want to research those.
    What? The GTX 560ti cards have been out for a long time.
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz | Corsair H70 | SLI GTX580 @ 850 Core | OCZ Vertex 2 90GB (Boot)
    G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB RAM @ 1800mhz 8-9-8-24

Avid game lover and Twitch streamer @ twitch.tv/rendhammerTV

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
    I am not familiar with the AMD. I used to run AMD but have become an intel fanboy since the i7's came along. I do try to be objective though and use cpubenchmark.net for some benchmark values as well as reading reviews in making my decisions.

With that in mind, you dont see any AMD chips in the top 40 benchmarks. Now obviously this isnt the best benchmarking and it certainly isnt the end all be all. But it does give a starting point and allows me to see all the chips and research from that point.

If you do choose the 2100, I would suggest getting the "k" for unlocked overclocking and appropriate mobo. the $ diff is all value in my eyes.

O_O uuuwhhaaa? The GTX 560 Ti is supposed to be released tomorrow? It's been out for a good long while now... and the 6870 is about dead even with it anyway.

Also, there is no unlocked "K" series for the i3... I wish there were =V

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    O_O uuuwhhaaa? The GTX 560 Ti is supposed to be released tomorrow? It's been out for a good long while now... and the 6870 is about dead even with it anyway.

Also, there is no unlocked "K" series for the i3... I wish there were =V
    I must have gotten the series mixed up. Maybe it was the 560 not the ti? I just read about it 2-3 days ago from an email I got from nvidia. Sadly I deleted it already and cant reference it.

edit: just googled gtx 560 and found a "today" one day early release from one site. So ya I must have been confused with the ti vs non ti.
    Last edited by Bassman; 2011-05-17 at 01:36 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    GTX 560, a slightly weaker version of the 560Ti comes out tomorrow.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water