should i upgrade?

i have a nvidia 9600 GSO , is it worth upgrading to GTX 560ti ???

10+ Year Old Account
    Well...you didn't tell us much about the rest of your PC, so the short answer is yes it's worth upgrading.
    But the "upgrade" would be pretty pointless if you have a crappy CPU that's bottlenecking everything. What's your CPU?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Well...you didn't tell us much about the rest of your PC, so the short answer is yes it's worth upgrading.
    But the "upgrade" would be pretty pointless if you have a crappy CPU that's bottlenecking everything. What's your CPU?

i have a
    intel core2 quad Q8200

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you want to upgrade, are you upgrading with a bunch of soon to be released games in mind or do you just want an extra 2 FPS from WoW during Raids?

15+ Year Old Account
    You won't get much benefit from anything above a 9800 GTX or 5750 unless you upgrade your CPU as well, that is if you Power Supply is rated high enough. You need to upgrade your CPU as well to see anything beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by Auralian View Post
    You won't get much benefit from anything above a 9800 GTX or 5750 unless you upgrade your CPU as well, that is if you Power Supply is rated high enough. You need to upgrade your CPU as well to see anything beyond that.
    is quad core that useless already? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Auralian View Post
    Overclocking the CPU will do the job too. If his PSU can handle it. Though the Q8200s aren't that great overclockers and he can only delay the need for an upgrade.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-05-17 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Overclocking the CPU will do the job too. If his PSU can handle it. Though the Q8200s aren't that great overclockers and he can only delay the need for an upgrade.
    but to upgrade i will need a new motherboard / ram ;_;

If you want to buy 560 ti, go for it. But you won't be able to use the full capabilities of the GPU. You will usually get from 20% to 35% less FPS than the same configuration with an i5-2500k.
    Regardless of that, a 560 ti will be a very significant upgrade from a 9600GSO.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-05-17 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kravok View Post
    is quad core that useless already? lol
    It's not that it's a quad that is the problem. A current Sandy Bridge Quad, clocked at the same speed as your Core2 Quad, can do a LOT more.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    It's not that it's a quad that is the problem. A current Sandy Bridge Quad, clocked at the same speed as your Core2 Quad, can do a LOT more.
    what are the prices on the sandy bridge quad , and can in fit into my current mother board?

10+ Year Old Account
    what are the prices on the sandy bridge quad , and can in fit into my current mother board?
    No, it will require a new build with new RAM and new mobo.

My last build had a Q8200, it's not a bad CPU for WoW....in saying that, I recommend you go ahead with the GTX560. It's an amazing card that's several generations ahead of your 9600, and should result in a large FPS boost in open zones especially if you run WoW in DX11 on Ultra.
    The only thing is that if you run 25mans (or sit in super-crowded cities), your FPS will drop due to being CPU-capped, but the new card should still see some improvement.

I suggest you plan ahead and start saving now for a Sandy Bridge build (or Bulldozer, when it comes out). You can buy the GTX560 now and then carry it into your new build....sound like a good plan?

What resolution do you play in? The 9600GS isn't that good to begin with, and I'd honestly replace that first.
    But yea, the amount of cores aren't as important as what architecture they're from and how optimised they are.

But this is with knowing very little about your total build.
    But I wouldn't bother with a GTX 560, do what you asked in your OP, get a GTX 560 Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    No, it will require a new build with new RAM and new mobo.

My last build had a Q8200, it's not a bad CPU for WoW....in saying that, I recommend you go ahead with the GTX560. It's an amazing card that's several generations ahead of your 9600, and should result in a large FPS boost in open zones especially if you run WoW in DX11 on Ultra.
    The only thing is that if you run 25mans (or sit in super-crowded cities), your FPS will drop due to being CPU-capped, but the new card should still see some improvement.

I suggest you plan ahead and start saving now for a Sandy Bridge build (or Bulldozer, when it comes out). You can buy the GTX560 now and then carry it into your new build....sound like a good plan?
    sounds good , but what is this Bulldozer ? XD

i ordered the gfx card should be here in 2 days

10+ Year Old Account
    but what is this Bulldozer ? XD
    AMD's series of CPU's that they'll be releasing sometime...this year...I think.