Page 1 of 2
LastLast

My laptop raising my light bill.

I bought an Alienware M17x about 3 months ago, ever since my light bill has gotten ridiculously high. Before I got the laptop my light bill ranged between 200-230, but recently it has skyrockted to about 300-310. I have my laptop mostly connected, since its battery life sucks. I was wondering if I could get any suggestions, besides using it less. Much Appreciated.
    "Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not. Remember that what you have now was once among the things you hoped for." -Epicurus

So you bought a gaming laptop, that uses more power than a normal laptop, and wonder why your power use went up? If likely turns some power saving features off when it's plugged in, because it's a gaming laptop. Up to you to decide if turning them back on is worth it or not.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I want to say power is ridiculously expensive in Puerto Rico... because there's no way a laptop can use $80 worth of power in Nova Scotia lest it was on fire...
    red panda red panda red panda!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say they increased your rates significantly, thers almost no way a single item like a laptop would raise your bill $80, I have a custom built desktop that doesnt even run me a quarter of that.

Go around your house and start unplugging things you're not currently using. For example, after you finish making a cup of coffee unplug the machine from the wall. Many electronic devices still draw power even when they're not being used, especially TVs.

Yeah even with my desktop OC'd to 4.3Ghz with all power saving features off, I only went up maybe $20-$30.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Why do you have more lights on?
    I don't see why you need more lights, but I suppose it would make your light bill go up.

Also,
    energy prices rise in the summer as consumption across the population increases.
    Energy that may have cost around 50-60 dollars per megawatt hour is now nearing closer to 80 which is consistent with the increase in your bill.
    You probably spend more on gas too, it doesn't mean you gained weight.

Yea, I expected my light bill to go up, but not such a ridiculous amount. Yes, where I live light is extremely expensive. I usually have it on power saver mode also, I only turn it on max performance when im playing games. Also I have been more aware, and have begun turning lights off more often. Still has made no difference.
    "Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not. Remember that what you have now was once among the things you hoped for." -Epicurus

do you have to run your air conditioning....

15+ Year Old Account
    Look at your bill and have your meter checked.

Your rates were increased or something is wrong. One laptop is not that much power even left on and charging.

Oh, and CALL your electric company!! The sooner you get a complaint/question on the record the more likely you'll be able to be credited all the way back to this point if it is a mistake.

10+ Year Old Account
    unplug what you aren't using lol. but look into the power saver options on the laptop, there you should find some help.

I agree with the other posters, one laptop will not make your power bill jump that much. There are other factors involved for sure. My bill is steadily rising due to A/C costs, its basically summer in South Texas already.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the laptop. Everyone's bill jumped about that this last month and apparently it will rise even more before it stabilizes again.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    energy prices rise in the summer as consumption across the population increases.
    That entirely depends where you are.
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem View Post
    It's not the laptop. Everyone's bill jumped about that this last month and apparently it will rise even more before it stabilizes again.
    Energy rates have been going up across the board, however the biggest jumps are in heating oil and natural gas. Natural gas cycles (it was down a few years ago) and heating oil's always been going up, it's just a little faster.

To compare the electricity rises (this is US btw, may not be the case for you/op) to something everyone can relate to, electricity is rising at about 1/10th (a little more) the rate of gasoline, national average to national average.

It may be worse or better wherever you are.

My bill did go up more than it usually does for A/C season, and my rates were part of that, but it was less than a cent per kWH and that's reflected in the national average. It would not, solely, be responsible for an $80 spike (or rather, a 35% jump) even counting that the OP's bills/rates seem to be pretty high (unless he's just in a pretty big house or an A/C heavy state, and even then).

That's the main reason I suggested it's probably at least partially a mistake, unless he's just not giving enough info.

Most (if not all, really) states regulate utilities, and give a lot of that power to local municipalities or allow power co-ops to set prices.

Now, here's where it gets tricky- they don't charge you for services rendered. They charge based on some elaborate formula that increases or decreases based on some obscure and capricious factors. Which in the end, means you don't actually have a bill that reflects your usage, but rather, a predetermined amount you'll owe, regardless if whether or not you used that amount of electricity. I'm gonna guess that you pay by the kilowatt-hour, and the amount per kwh goes up and down, depending on the month.

Don't they generally come by every once in a while and read your meter to make your bill stay in line with actual usage though?

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a lantern pole infront of your house?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sublike View Post
    Do you have a lantern pole infront of your house?
    OT; Lol'd at your avatar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    OT; Lol'd at your avatar
    Thnx . If you know from where I get it, it's fun. To bad that bmp files are not supported here :<.