Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast

@Kosic: Sorry if I gave anything away =(

(THERE ARE A FEW SPOILERS BELOW, BUT NOTHING DEEP INTO THE GAME)

There are many things that make L.A. Noire different than most games.

1. The Acting
    Its hard to call it simply "voice" acting because that would imply that the two phases of graphic and audio work were done separately. This game uses MotionScan technology to literally translate the entire face and voice work into one. The result is something so utterly immersive and believable that it makes me ponder why other companies haven't pursued this technology. As stated previously, you aren't just watching good graphic detail and voice work, you are watching actual performances by the actors.

This is also why the game is so mindfuckingly difficult sometimes. Throughout the game, you do interviews with witnesses and suspects. Visually, some characters are so obviously full of shit that you can immediately Doubt their statement, or call them out on Lie-ing with the appropriate evidence. One of the first cases in the game has you interviewing some guy about the disappearance of his friend, and how he doesn't know anything. He totally pulls one of those sarcastic "Me? I'm his best friend, so I couldn't possibly know anything!" type of faces. On the other side, there are characters that are so hard to crack that it may take using Intuition points to find a good answer. For instance, my first real problem with interviewing came with "The Red Lipstick Murder." You interview the husband of the woman that was murdered. The only easy answer is the question if you find the "Death Threat Note" clue. Other than that, he's noticeably uneasy, and its hard to really tell when he is telling the Truth, or telling a Doubt-able story.

2. The Crime Solving
    If looking around and thinking isn't your style of gaming, then this game certainly isn't the one for you. While just about anyone can find the obvious clues, there are some that are hidden deeper within the areas, and take some digging to really find. The easiest example is one of the first cases where a guy is hit by a car. Everyone is convinced that this guy either stumbled drunk in-front of the car, or someone swerved and hit him. If you investigate the scene enough, you'll find a blood-soaked knife that ends up being the cause for his death. Using your wit in this game will lead to more clues, more evidence, and easier convictions. Nothing is more satisfying that calling someone out on a lie, slamming them with the evidence, and leaving them speechless. Case closed, bitches.

3. The Action
    Sadly, this is kind of where the game falls short. Don't get me wrong, its not that is horrible or anything. It feels extremely lackluster compared to other elements of the game so heavily worked on. I do admit, its rather cool to tackle some guy while hes trying to run away from you, or to KO that asshole who just decked your partner in the face. The gunplay is super simple, and something along the lines of "point-and-shoot." The cover system is...okay at best. The driving is one of the weakest points of the game. The steering and acceleration are very arcade-like, and take away from the overall realistic experience. I think it could have been done much better, but whats there isn't going to make you change your mind about everything else.

4. The Music
    Definitely best soundtrack of the year, and probably one of the best in modern video games

In conclusion, its a game that Rockstar took a gamble with, and I think it paid off. What you get is something completely different from a company that is "notoriously" known for purely violent games. I don't believe its anything ground-breaking, but its an interesting and innovative push in the right direction for modern games.
    Last edited by Kankuri; 2011-05-18 at 11:44 PM. Reason: adishunal info
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

The only major thing i would have to complain about is the driving. The game is so immersive and as soon as you get into a car, the (Horrible) driving AI and cluncky car mechanics take you away from the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    why are there 3 disks

Wish it came out for PC.. I bought it on 360, it's pretty awesome. Haven't had a chance to play much since i raided last night

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    There is no game like it really.
    I only watched a few short videos, but it reminded me of Heavy Rain for the PS3, where it's a slow based, game with an amazing twist in it's storyline. Where your spending more time on each scene, instead of just running around wacking everything you see.

I was like 50/50 with this game, but breifly looking over Kankuri's post, i had to skip alot as i didn't want to see anything that would give away parts of the game. But from what i read, i kinda wanna pick it up on the 20th.

---------- Post added 2011-05-18 at 09:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    why are there 3 disks
    The whole game can't fit on a standard 360 DVD. They don't have enough space so it's broken up onto 3. The PS3 version is all on one since they use Blu-Ray discs which can hold more.
    Yahoo answers.

The game is meant to be about 25 gig in size.

Deleted
    As all rockstar Games its casual-console only, so no one will play it.

now i really want to give this game a shot. is it sand box? or is it rail?
    its a sandbox that has a clear set line of things to do for the main mission line, but does have a fair amount of things to do out in the world.
    over all it's combat is a bit like ME2's, kinda reminds me of a point and click, except you only have ONE SHOT AT EACH PUZZLE.

PRO TIP: search around and get all the clues you can before talking to ANYONE!!!
    Last edited by mordale; 2011-05-19 at 12:26 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenio View Post
    As all rockstar Games its casual-console only, so no one will play it.
    What? I don't even...
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    What? I don't even...
    its called flamebaiting, a form a of trolling.
    fairly common when talking about... well anything that have a competitor or opposed member.

when actually called out the common troll retort is either to fan the flames or say "you mad bro" or something equally stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    best game ever!

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    why are there 3 disks
    360 doesn't support blue ray, so it needs more disk space.

Deleted
    *sigh* Now make it for the PC damnit.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is very disappointing, that Rockstar releases another game without pc version. Its just doesn't make any sense, pc sales are up, for example Steam store is a complete success, not to mention that even a mid range pc these days is years ahead of any console. They just denying themselves even bigger profitssssss
    “The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church”

-Ferdinand Magellan (1480 – 1521)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawaa View Post
    If i were to say it was the child of two games. i would say mafia II and Heavy rain.
    exactly my thoughts man they need to come out with another Heavy Rain. that game was amazing

---------- Post added 2011-05-19 at 09:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    http://v.cdn.cad-comic.com/comics/cad-20110518-8cc03.png
    lmao yea the picture of him on the victim. every time he does that in game it cracks me up

---------- Post added 2011-05-19 at 09:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaa View Post
    The only major thing i would have to complain about is the driving. The game is so immersive and as soon as you get into a car, the (Horrible) driving AI and cluncky car mechanics take you away from the game.
    you could always just hold down Y (or the ps3 equiv) to let your partner drive then press A (or ps3 equiv) to skip the actually driving part. i do that sometimes
    Last edited by AmberJoy; 2011-05-19 at 01:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikni View Post
    It is very disappointing, that Rockstar releases another game without pc version. Its just doesn't make any sense, pc sales are up, for example Steam store is a complete success, not to mention that even a mid range pc these days is years ahead of any console. They just denying themselves even bigger profitssssss
    just wait a year or two for a console port.

10+ Year Old Account
    my friend said it's amazing! and apparently the game has 3 discs O_O

too bad they wont port it to pc

Red Dead Redemption...you can kill random ppl there though...but still..its close..hope its good as RDR